Sign in to follow this  
LoTekK

Teams (white, red, etc) and formations

I never noticed this before, since I don't do a lot of splitting up into different teams in close proximity, but I started noticing it while doing a convoy ambush in Dynamic Afghanistan.

Basically, when you split your squad up into teams (well, you don't even need to assign team colors, actually), and give them movement orders, their formation spacing remains relative to the entire squad.

This means that ordering 11 and 12 (in DA these are the sniper and spotter) to a location will result in 11 moving to that spot, and 12 ends up a good 100m to the left or right (recall that in line formation, 11 and 12 are on opposite ends of the formation).

If we change this around, and instead order 2 and 4 to a particular spot, they end up logically close together, recalling that in line formation, 2 and 4 are adjacent.

Note also that this behavior applies no matter what formation you currently have assigned. For example, I ordered my squad into echelon right formation, and issued a move order to 11 and 12, and they ended up at their destination the same distance apart as when in line formation.

So. For whatever reason, units given move orders are respecting their given positions and spacings based on line formation, no matter what.

Now, the kicker. Is there any way at all to change this behavior? It makes splitting up your team a little less practical than if they would simply space themselves relative to the number of people in their respective teams. This way if I want to set up an MG team, I don't have to worry about the team spacing themselves out over 200m, for example, and instead keep close enough together to support each other if necessary.

edit: Oops. Forgot to add pics to illustrate.

This first pic shows the final positions of 2 and 4 (adjacent when in line formation) when given a move command:

2and4.jpg

This one shows 8 and 9 (opposite ends of a line formation):

8and9.jpg

Yup, OFP's handling of teams and formations is crap. One of the few huge detractors to OFP as a "military sim," but I imagine handling units this way reduces processer load from the AI. I hope to god it changes for Armed Assault.

In addition to your question, I wonder if there is a way to create custom formations?

I think the point of teams might have been to tell groups of units to do things quicker. If you didn't notice the squad leader saying "Team Red: Open Fire!" is quicker than the squad leader saying "2, 4, 6, 8, 9, 11: Open Fire!".

In addition to your question, I wonder if there is a way to create custom formations?

Yes there is a way,

Custom Formations from General Barron

Ah, very cool Sanctuary. That might help with the above problem of having two team members maintain huge separations when detached. Simply set-up a new formation with your spotter and sharpshooter side-by-side. Then maybe they would hold those relative positions when detached?

Yes there is a way,

Custom Formations from General Barron

It looks like a very good script but the readme doesn't say how to install the files. And then how to call the script while you are playing the mission.

Anyone can help?

When you unzip the archive, keep the path folders, and you will end with

-the Readme.txt (that actually give you the script names you need to exec)

-a folder named "formations test.intro"

This folder is an editor mission, just put this folder inside

...\Operation Flashpoint\Users\YourUserName\missions\

Launch OFP , in the editor and desert island, load the "formations test" mission and look at how it is done with the readme next to you.

Thanks very much, i played a bit with it and this is some nicely scripted stuff.

Too bad it seems that it can't be incorporated in the default missions and campaigns.