Sign in to follow this  
brgnorway

Terror bombings in Bali!

A true shame....

This probably will cripple Bali's economy. Once is recoverable, twice, is too much.

Me and some mates were saving, and planning to go to Bali some time next year for a short holiday, we'll definitely plan to go elsewhere now.

One thing is for sure, you won't find me in Bali until it becomes fully independent from the rest of Indonesia. Until then, I don't think it's worth the risk. confused_o.gif

I hate this, dont wanna see many innocent people die like this.

Anyway, Rest in peace to all victims...

Its a shame that this Generation of people have had the worst ever...

So many WAR's from WW2 or even WW1 to present there has been many wars and now they have seen the start of a new war which could last many many years.. confused_o.gif if i was born like 200 years ago there might not of been WARS and killing like this.. or not as much and not as bad confused_o.gif

its a sad thing really sad_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

So many WAR's from WW2 or even WW1 to present there has been many wars and now they have seen the start of a new war which could last many many years..  confused_o.gif

Bah, this does'nt even begin to compare to the two big ones.

Quote[/b] ]

if i was born like 200 years ago there might not of been WARS and killing like this.. or not as much and not as bad  confused_o.gif

Napoleonic wars anyone? You know, the over 10-year-period that was constant warfare all over europe? Estimating precise amount of dead people from that period is hard but let's just say some idiot fundamentalists have to blow up quite a lot of ships before we get even near that amount.

Its a shame that this Generation of people have had the worst ever...

So many WAR's from WW2 or even WW1 to present there has been many wars and now they have seen the start of a new war which could last many many years.. confused_o.gif if i was born like 200 years ago there might not of been WARS and killing like this.. or not as much and not as bad confused_o.gif

Not, true. The have always been wars across the globe, ever since man came up with the notion of territory (and lets face it thats pretty primal) there have been conflicts over it.

Whilst this isnt the "cleanest" way to show it, have a look at these timelines to see how many wars there have been over past centuries:

1975-1999

1950-1974

1925-1949

1900-1924

1875-1899

1850-1874

1825-1849

1800-1824

And the full list.

We havent had it any worse than people before us, but we just know more about what goes on now with the in-depth media coverage.

maybe i was wrong about the 200yr ago thing but still

you dont get people going around blowing the crap out of civies... those were wars with armys.. with the exceptation of WW2 when they blew the crap out of the citys and such..

True , and while you all may be worried about it now .... wait untill you have a mortgage and debt .. then you wont give a damn again ... just like your parents .

life goes on

maybe i was wrong about the 200yr ago thing but still

you dont get people going around blowing the crap out of civies... those were wars with armys.. with the exceptation of WW2 when they blew the crap out of the citys and such..

Uh.. there are orders in the old testament to burn cities to the ground and kill all the men and married women. Brutality to civilians is definetly nothing new.

bah that was like in the middle ages.. i dont even belive the bible is true anyways crazy_o.gif i have my own religion..

im not on about the times when people went around with sords and bows and that tounge2.gif

BAH i wish i had a time machine... wow_o.gif

Civilians have always been on the rough end of war.

Whilst traditional "war" where two professional armies would fight eachother, the civilian population in and around the battlefield would pay a terrible toll.

Not, true. The have always been wars across the globe, ever since man came up with the notion of territory (and lets face it thats pretty primal) there have been conflicts over it.

The only solution would be unification... or complete eradication of the other party.

Hence.. Europe.

Hmm, roughly 30 people dead in an area known to be racked with divisions of one kind or another (thanks to Indonesian "Imperialism", Muslim fundamentalism and a myriad of other causes).

Of course, it's tragic that anyone should die because someone else has got a big chip on their shoulder, but let's put it into perspective.

Does anyone know how many civilians have died in Iraq this week alone due to terror attacks?  I'm sure a damn sight more than around 30...

Update: Having checked around, the standings for the week beginning Septemeber 20th are now...

Bali: 19 killed

Iraq: 104 killed

US: 19 killed

Isreal: 1 Hostage killed

Palestine: 16 killed (airstrike)

Average Deaths in United States due to drunk driving;

300 (2002 figures)

It truly is a crying shame that there are so many people dying when they needn't, due to the misplaced codes which govern terrorists, politicians and soldiers everywhere. If my inclusion of the Drunk Driving statistic seems to anyone to trivialise the deaths of those killed by aacts of terror, then I apologise. I merely wish to put into perspective how some topics stir passions more than others...

Quote[/b] ]It truly is a crying shame that there are so many people dying when they needn't, due to the misplaced codes which govern terrorists, politicians and soldiers everywhere.  If my inclusion of the Drunk Driving statistic seems to anyone to trivialise the deaths of those killed by aacts of terror, then I apologise.  I merely wish to put into perspective how some topics stir passions more than others...

Although I understand and partially agree with your sentiment I still feel you are trivialising the matter at hand.

Drunk driving, suicides, traffic accidents etc. are more or less culturally dependant factors where general acceptance or public silence plays a part. More often than not it is also acceptable losses for the govenment as well as with the general public - excluding the relatives of course. So you could very well say the sad results are accepted end results where people are more or less allowed to drink and drive and where suicides are considered a private matter. In my own country for example one suspects that a large part of the traffic accidents are suicides - but no resources are channeled in such a way that it is prevented.

Targeting areas of tourism - although insignificant compared to what happends every day in Iraq is significant! More so because it affects and touches the western world where we go on vacations and feel safe. The political killings in Belfast didn't take place in the borderlines between protestant and catholic suburban areas - it took place as close to the center as possible in those places to maximise the fear of uncertainty. Hence so called "doorstep killings" were very popular!

Apart from that I agree with you but how can you complain about anything at all as long as people starv to death by thousands somewhere in Africa?