Sign in to follow this  
Thunderbird

Important Decision - Request your opinion

A 2005 version would be cool, a WW2 version wouldn`t interest me much.

343rdBadger : that really was oftopic.. But the BHD Soundtrack was made by Hans Zimmer, it's in what-ever the Somalians language is (Not sure to be honest)

"I mean, you can see the difference between FFUR's 1985 and Y2K3s 2003, but would there really be a noticable difference between 2003 and 2005?" Precicly.. I pointed that out before tounge2.gif (I think? Or did I just imagine I said that..?)

It would be very similar to the Y2K3 mod, unless you do the USA vs China..

I still love the WW2 idea, and think if TB doesn't do it, someone else should modify the FFUR config to use WW2 units where possible, and (if all else fails), do either..

Just leave the helis in ( crazy_o.gif )

The girocopter addon thing (Can't remeber if it handled like a heli or not, hope so tounge2.gif) could be made, using an artisitic liscene.. To be a bit more robust, and carry troops, and be armed.. That would work, but if not, leaving the helis in would have to do sad_o.gif

Anyway... I really hope the WW2 Conversion goes ahead, it would be cool, if nothing else tounge2.gif

I think the greatest merit of doing this would be : The difference between even the 1985 conversion, and the 2003 converstion, they are similar (A hell of a lot more so for 2003 -> 2005..). Thus the gameplay is similar. Yeh there different weapons, effects etc. But from 1940 ish -> 1985 is a big change, and a big change in the weapons, vehicles and sounds. It'd be a whole new experience, rather than just refining what BIS did

..Wonder how many people acctualy read this far down.. tounge2.gif

- Ben

I read halway and forgot what I was reading tounge2.gif

But I still think my USA vs. China vs. Russia World War 3 Idea is cool smile_o.gif

World War Anyone? USA is west, China resistance, and Russian East biggrin_o.gif

Exactly my opinion. smile_o.gif

343rdBadger : that really was oftopic.. But the BHD Soundtrack was made by Hans Zimmer, it's in what-ever the Somalians language is (Not sure to be honest)

"I mean, you can see the difference between FFUR's 1985 and Y2K3s 2003, but would there really be a noticable difference between 2003 and 2005?" Precicly.. I pointed that out before tounge2.gif (I think? Or did I just imagine I said that..?)

It would be very similar to the Y2K3 mod, unless you do the USA vs China..

I still love the WW2 idea, and think if TB doesn't do it, someone else should modify the FFUR config to use WW2 units where possible, and (if all else fails), do either..

Just leave the helis in ( crazy_o.gif )

The girocopter addon thing (Can't remeber if it handled like a heli or not, hope so tounge2.gif) could be made, using an artisitic liscene.. To be a bit more robust, and carry troops, and be armed.. That would work, but if not, leaving the helis in would have to do sad_o.gif

Anyway... I really hope the WW2 Conversion goes ahead, it would be cool, if nothing else tounge2.gif

I think the greatest merit of doing this would be : The difference between even the 1985 conversion, and the 2003 converstion, they are similar (A hell of a lot more so for 2003 -> 2005..). Thus the gameplay is similar. Yeh there different weapons, effects etc. But from 1940 ish -> 1985 is a big change, and a big change in the weapons, vehicles and sounds. It'd be a whole new experience, rather than just refining what BIS did

..Wonder how many people acctualy read this far down.. tounge2.gif

- Ben

Actually thats not true...the BHD music that i'm refering too is a piece of music sang in an old celtic language called "breton"...of welsh decent I believe.Not of africian decent at all.

thunderbird,you can make

a)1800 conversion wink_o.gif

b)WW2 conversion smile_o.gif

c)2005 conversion

d)Vietnam conversion

these are the main options,because theres enough addons released to fit these eras.But WW1 conversion would really be the best because there aren't any WW1 mods released.Shame,that there aren't enough addons for it. sad_o.gif

Guest Ti0n3r

Yes, Vietnam would be very nice as long as the the addons are of the right quality. thumbs-up.gif

@Thunderbird84

Oh, well maybe i'm risking to be lynched for what i'm saying, but i wonder if is not the case for you to wait for the release of ArmAs before planning anything like that.

The work done 'till now with FFUR is awesome and it honours you, but even if the guys at BIS talked about an almost total backward compatibility with the addons released untill now, I really wonder if this will be the truth......

I think you'll most probably get mad by changing and adapting the stuffs you've already released for the incoming new game's environmentall and the risk to waste your time in something that will be ignored is concrete.

The mission i'm actually working on will be the last for OFP, then I will sit down waiting for the new game. Almost every day i read here and there of new teams working on new projects. That's really nice but i think we have to take in consideration what's the next future will reserves to us. Sorrowfully actually we know nothig.....

I love this game, but the countdown has began....

But it's just my idea. Nothing more and maybe I'm wrong.

However I vote for:

US vs China vs Russia

US vs Iraq vs Iran (when decent addons will be released)

Klavan

Klavan, normaly I would agree with you, but as I`m getting a little bit nervous about the release date of Armed Assault by now..... banghead.gif

The last official info was made some time ago and still there is no publisher ?? I realy hope that I`m wrong on that, but we don`t know.

I think the World War idea would be great - three actual armys instead of a few clashes of the superpowers and mainly gurreilla warfare. thumbs-up.gif

Although I half agree with Klaven confused_o.gif

Also, Somlians speak Somalian, and it's the only country in the world that only language in the world that is only spoken in one country...or something. icon_rolleyes.gif

I also voted for ffur2005... though

As far as other conversions are concerned, i'd vote like this... in this particular order...

1. vietnam era conversion (this would be awesome and i think there's enough quality addons made already)

2. ww2 era conversion (My opinion it doesn't matter if it isn't complete. All other things can be done i think except those choppers)

3. ffur2005 conversion

ffur team keep up the good work smile_o.gif

I voted for FFUR should stay 1985.

Why overwork yourself? You haven't even finished the current project and you're already wanna start a new one. I think it's a better idea if you upgrade the 1985 and keep updating it until it's perfect. There will be released a many good addons in the next time and I believe FFUR '85 is going to include them!

When ArmA is released you can start making that mod, to get ArmA asap on a realistic and highquality standard.

It isn't a problem to make a bit of more efforts to work on a FFUR 2005 before BIS will release ArmA; however , how would be BIS campaigns and missions if I will replace resistance by chinese or russians by chinese , plus nogova won't fit and there is no decent island to replace it by a suited one to the wanted theme.

Finally I think We will release :

FFUR 1985 Woodland

FFUR 1985 Desert

FFUR 1985 Winter

(USA vs USSR)

&

-> FFUR 2005 classical (-> Woodland)

(USA vs Russia)

We have all the necessary addons to carry out this conversion, they are good and they will perfectly fit.

Following the fact that we have received some e-mails complaining about a lag due to WGL islands , we will definaly remove them and we will make an "Island Pack" intended only to High comps.

We will also fix the bmp bug and maybe, we will incorporate a new shilka and will improve the ironsights (Thanks to Benus)

Best Regards

Thunderbird84

Exactly , that's the main problem for a WW II conversion pack , I still don't know what aircrafts may I use to replace the choppers for the 43/44 era , WWII planes won't fit, imagine the first CWC mission , when soldiers must disembark from the blackhawk to attack the villages behind the forrest , how it would be using a WWII pack , eeew...

Funny you should say that about the first CWC mission. About half a year ago I couldn't think of any ideas of missions to make, so I decided to try to change the CWC campaign into WW2 style. When I came to the trouble of the Blackhawks in the first mission, I completely reworked it, so your squad and the other squad were paradroped by 2 C-47s into the same area as you would normally be set down.

The Cobras were P-47s, Abrams were Shermans, M-60s were M-5s, and M113s were Halftracks etc

It worked fine. However, upon realising that the voices called the Germans 'Russkies', I gave up and later deleted the mission carelessley.  huh.gif

However, my point is that if you rework the missions slightly, it can be done without choppers. Any time you are picked up by a chopper, it could be changed so you are exfilled by Halftrack or something.

But that would take a hell of a lot of work to do with all the missions, plus wouldn't work for user missions.

You'd be stuck if there was a mission where your squad started in the back of a Mi-24, as you'd have to find a German fighter-transport  crazy_o.gif

Anyway, I'd vote that a Vietnam conversion would be the best. You've got the Unsung Mod coming out soon, choppers boats planes tanks, plus you've got 'Nam Everon, the objects of which could be easily transfered to Malden, Kolgujev and Nogova.

World War Anyone? USA is west, China resistance, and Russian East biggrin_o.gif

So the Chinese will help an American soldier escape from the Russians, and then use Guerilla tactics to free civilians and blow up some Russian tanks? tounge2.gif

For a total convesrion, editing campaigns doesn't really work (like you pointed out), as it wont work for other campagins (Non BIS)

The WW2 idea would be great, but you'd need to overlook the fact theres no choppers, and just leave them, or rework those girocopters, neither of which are that good..

The Veitnam idea.. yees.. That would work, although I never really got into the Veitnam stuff for OFP for one reason, the islands aren't jungles, the forests in OFP are fecking dangerous (The AI seem to be able to shoot though them very easily tounge2.gif).

The addons are really nice, and it could work, but I think the OFP secenry would far better suit WW2 setting. There has been WW2 islands made using almost primarily BIS buildings, which shows they are very WW2y. Replacing the units on the Lost Squad mission with WW2 units fitted very well.

Doing a 2005 version, as I pointed out, would be very similar to 2003, which is similar to the 1985. Where as, either the Veitnam, or WW2 would be a brand new experience.

I really don't think you'd notice much in the way of a difference between the two confused_o.gif

But that's just me and my opinon, it's up to mr Thunderbird tounge2.gif

- Ben

"...Geronimo , slava..." names used while cutscenes -> absolutely don't fit with a chinese conversion ,except if you can prove me that there's somewhere a chinese with "slava" as name,heh

Seriously a Vietnam conversion would be interesting once new vietnam addons are out wink_o.gif

Yeh, a Veitnam campaign would be my second vote tounge2.gif

Who would you use for the 3 sides?

West = US

Easy = Veitcong

Resistance=...?

Civillian = Veitcong non-combatants

Ah well, good luck with getting the rest of the "normal" FFUR out the door, and with what-ever-you-choose-to-do tounge2.gif

- Ben

So the Chinese will help an American soldier escape from the Russians, and then use Guerilla tactics to free civilians and blow up some Russian tanks? tounge2.gif

Well the Chinese dont really have to be on anyones side really. But I wasnt really looking into the campaign point of view when I thought of that. Yes it would be wierd having the Chinese helping the USA, And the USA even letting them help  crazy_o.gif

Oh and I take back my opinion on the World War, but I still go with 2005, because there are too many Vietnam and WWII games out! They dont know when to stop making crappy games over and over again tounge2.gif

Resistance = Viet minhs men

Btw , have Vietcong soldiers got choppers or ? I know they had MiG-21 . but it's mainly a fighter , what jets have they used as bombers ?