Sign in to follow this  
Shabadu

SA-80 or not SA-80

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Fenix83 @ Jan. 18 2002,17:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">SA-80 Suxx<span id='postcolor'>

that is a very inteligent comment i must say

THe SA80A2 is suppost to be one of the best rifles in the world, because the SA80 was always accurate but not very reliable but now they have made it more reliable by modifying a few parts. biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Miles @ Jan. 19 2002,20:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">and we are not a minority we are a country of 50 million or thereabouts, and codemasters is English and im surprised that they havent asked for any British kit<span id='postcolor'>

They didnt mean in population terms, just in fp gamers terms. If you were talking about populations australia only has 19 million, yet they put our rifle in! I must say though, this board is quite multinational, its good too get input from so many countries about their weapons systems smile.gif.

There was more StenGuns than SA80 arround in 1985, so leve it be, and give us the SLR which is more inline with the period of the game.

stenguns are fun, as long as your not serious about hitting anything beyond 5ft range

What about just releasing another official weaponspack with Famas, G3, SA-80, MG3, Minimi, Uzi, Mp-5 Navy, PSG-1 and maybe some military shotguns...sorted.

I doubt most of you won't still be satisfied tounge.gif

We dont wanna REPLACE anything from OFP but any addons can only make the game better...confused.gifconfused.gif

u dont make a game better with adding a rifle that already exists in ofp..basicly the g36a and Steyr added something , a new combat-style ,and then it better add something new like Mp-Maps like Real Paintball smile.gif

and...btw those who say England is the 3rd largest games place or watever :]

..whos your daddy in the 2 biggest =D ..exact sweden wink.gif

/Sulter biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Nyles @ Jan. 20 2002,06:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What about just releasing another official weaponspack with Famas, G3, SA-80, MG3, Minimi, Uzi, Mp-5 Navy, PSG-1 and maybe some military shotguns...sorted.

I doubt most of you won't still be satisfied tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

the uzi and the shotguns woudlnt really be a worthy addition to the game, since most battle take plave at long-med ranges and i dont think the mp5 navy would be much use either, the current mp5 is more than addequete.

All I'm saying is there are more people for than against.

Well, my opinion is that Russians should first get two scoped assault rifles before adding more weapons for Nato/USA, just for the game balance.

What's wrong with adding the SA-80? It's not my first choice (1. Harrier or FA-MAS, 2. newer AK's (rpk-74, etc.), 3. heavy mg's for charlie and BREAKABLE soviet helicopter glass) but an SA-80 wouldn't hurt. Or, for that matter, an IMI Tavor.

In regards to english equipment, sure why not? Most chinese stuff is just soviet stuff under a different name. But I would really like to see a merkava. OFP has an awesome engine for modeling modern warfare, howabout BIS support for some of the awesome mods out there? Wintermarch and Operation Vietnam come to mind...

all i can say is that i would enjoy a SA80 being put on the game (yes im english) but i wouldnt want it to replace all the other stuff availble on the game

Not to be unkind, but how many 5.56mm assault rifles does the game really need?

I agree that variety is the spice of life, but, in the end, I look at it this way: the Steyr, M16, SA80, Galil, FA-MAS etc. etc. are all very similar in game terms, so what does bringing extra ones into the game really achieve except to add a pretty new model and an extra scope type?

Call me cynical, but I have been soured from my Rainbow 6/Rogue Spear experience, where all sorts of gun mods came out and in the end they were so many you'd end up spending 20 minutes in the start-up screen multiplayer waiting for everyone to select their own little personalized arsenal! {"No no, the G11 is better than the P90!" "Is not!" "Is too!" "Your'e both wrong, the OICW is the ultimate!"}

I'd rather see more varied rifles (like a G3: bigger, more powerful, less ammo per clip) than having each and every NATO country duly represented (I am an Australian, and I have no particular need to see a Steyr in the game). But if people want to add it, fine, but from a game design point of view, is it worth the trouble?  confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Shabadu @ Jan. 17 2002,17:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It's the highly controversial british rifle. Roughly Å90m (or is it Å80m) has been spent over the years bringing it up to code.<span id='postcolor'>

On top of the billion pounds and change they wasted developing it in the first place. 1,100,000,000 pounds would have bought a heck of a lot of M-16s, with a ton of money left over for other goodies.

I mean, really, who but the British government could have blown 1,100,000,000 pounds developing... a bullpup AR-18 with a scope?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MrLaggy @ Jan. 22 2002,14:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It's the highly controversial british rifle. Roughly Å90m (or is it Å80m) has been spent over the years bringing it up to code.<span id='postcolor'>

On top of the billion pounds and change they wasted developing it in the first place. 1,100,000,000 pounds would have bought a heck of a lot of M-16s, with a ton of money left over for other goodies.

I mean, really, who but the British government could have blown 1,100,000,000 pounds developing... a bullpup AR-18 with a scope?<span id='postcolor'>

I'm not going to react to that on the grounds that I'd be booted out.

I take it MrLAggy that you have never been lucky enough to use the SA80, dont believe the stuff in the press, most of it is bullsh*t. The press makes it sound like shit but its very good and im sure if you had a go with it you would like it smile.gif

The weapon is well noted for its accuracy and the quality and durability of its optical sight. During its service life many genuine problems have been noted and resolved although in june 2000 it was decided to conduct a major modification programme to adress all the outstanding durability and reliability issues to allow the weapon system to truly fulfil its potential to be one of the best rifles in the world.

I managed to get about a 30cm grouping at 100m with iron sights in Nov which is not bad seeing as im a bad shot and it was pissing down with rain and freezing cold

You got to admit the iron sights look like they were bolted on using a kids Mechano set though.

30cm groupng is not that good at only 100mt, even with iron sights.

I had to do 5 shots in /1/2 inch at 300mt with irn sights on a Lee enfield .303 to qualify as a marksman ( in the good ole days , when men were men, women were cooks and sex Slaves, ahhh yes, those were the days )

Wasnt impressed whith the SA80 when I had a go with it . Was very few in service then, Mainly SLR's still in use, and good old Sten guns.

a 300mm grouping lol u need less than 105mm to pass in phase 1 training lol.At my last APWT i got a grouping of 62mm on a windy field.Apart from reliability issues the SA80 is as good as any other NATO rifle i dont know about the SUSAT because i'm in the RAC but it is very accurate and accurate shots with an ironsight to a range of 400-500m are common.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (madmike @ Jan. 22 2002,21:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I take it MrLAggy that you have never been lucky enough to use the SA80, dont believe the stuff in the press, most of it is bullsh*t.<span id='postcolor'>

I don't believe the press, but I do believe my ex-army friends who thought it was a pile of poop, and the SAS who have consistently chosen not to use it. But, most of all, I can think of many, many better things to do with over a billion pounds than develop yet another 5.56mm assault rifle; aren't there enough of them already? I mean, if the M-16 is good enough for the SAS, surely it's good enough for regular soldiers?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The weapon is well noted for its accuracy and the quality and durability of its optical sight.<span id='postcolor'>

That's exactly my point. Most people have said that the sight is very good, but note the significant lack of any mention of the actual rifle's quality or durability in your comment. A good sight doesn't help you if your magazine falls out, the barrel bends or the firing pin snaps.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MrLaggy @ Jan. 23 2002,15:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I mean, if the M-16 is good enough for the SAS, surely it's good enough for regular soldiers?<span id='postcolor'>

They use a modified version.

The only reason the SAS dont like to use the SA80 is because the safty catch is operated by the triger finger and it cannot be used left handed which is bad when fighting in build up areas(FIBUA).

The problem about the magazine falling out was solved over 10 years ago, all it was that webbing would sometimes hit the magizine release catch.

The magazine has been replaced for the SA80A2 along with these parts:

Breech block

Breech bolt

cartridge extractor

cartridge ejector

recoil spring

extractor spring

firing pin

cocking handle

gas plug and cylinder

hammer

barrel extension

barrel (LSW only)

It was extensivly trialled against the G36, M16 and steyr AUG in different climates and is said to be better than all of them

and if we were to buy a weapon wed buy a good one, like a G36

If they bought a new weapno system to replace the SA80 it would cost 5 times the amount of improving the SA80.

The SA80 wont be replaced until 2020 however it will be upgraded again but it will not be a reliablity upgrade and it wont be for about 10 yrs

I would like to see the SA80. The new version, L85A2 has over 14 enhancements. I would also like to see the L86 LSW (light support weapon) in the game. The game has the M16 and M60, so it should have the SA80 and the LSW. It's only fair.