Sign in to follow this  
Landwarrior87

My New PC

Now that im going off to school i finally got a new pc worth around 800 dollars and its a dell and this is what i got. A             Pentium 4 [2.80 ghz] 1mb l2 cahce 533 mhz front side bus     512mb shared ddr sdram        80gb HD       [intel Extreme Graphics Card 2] <--- i was already informed my gfx card was shit. 48x CD Burner/ DVD Combo, and a 15' Flat Panel Display with a 4 year warranty. What do you guys think? coming from a p3 933mhz 128mb ram and just a office 82810E graphics card. The whole point of this post is to let me know if my flashpoint will play to its best on this system.

Guest The Cobra

Nice update, but 800 dollars just for a Dell sign on the computer?

Not for me... huh.gif

No offence

A Pentium with a 533 front side bus??

Looks like, "Selling old crap" is a registred Trademark of Dell Inc.

MfG Lee banghead.gif

it would have been around 6 hundred bucks without the 4yr waranty but parents wouldnt let me trade in the waraanty for a widescreen and 4 speakers with the subwoofer. instead i got the warranty and a printer :-[

Guest The Cobra
A Pentium with a 533 front side bus??

Looks like, "Selling old crap" is a registred Trademark of Dell Inc.

MfG Lee banghead.gif

Totaly agrees... I was very stunned...

I think also that 3,0Ghz is some kind of mental limit, like the real speed is only 0,2Ghz more the 2,8Ghz, but it feels more...

I suggest: Get the computer back as fast as you can, and start making a list of a computer you're gonna build yourself  wink_o.gif

Faster, cheaper, but the best is ofcourse, it's custom biggrin_o.gif

Sorry for (uhmm) "sawing" you like this, but frankly, Dell sucks!

pistols.gif >----------------------------------> Dell

wink_o.gif

Guest The Cobra
The whole point of this post is to let me know if my flashpoint will play to its best on this system.

Since we/I haven't answered to this it's...

No.

Few computers does...

533 mhz FSB does stand for Front Side Bus does'nt it? because thats what it is. ;-[ but my flashpoint will run decent wont it? im more of a console guy anyway i only play ofp on pc anyway im a ps2 lover and hope to get ps3 when it comes out on christmas.

533 mhz FSB does stand for Front Side Bus does'nt it? because thats what it is. ;-[ but my flashpoint will run decent wont it? im more of a console guy anyway i only play ofp on pc anyway im a ps2 lover and hope to get ps3 when it comes out on christmas.

it'll probably run fine, its just that asking PC gamers what they think of Dell is like asking Mac users what they think of Microsoft. biggrin_o.gif

Guest The Cobra
to get ps3 when it comes out on christmas.

Uhmm.. PS3 is coming fall 2006...

Xbox 360 for this year right??

Maybe I'm completely wrong though... '

whistle.gif

I`m upgrading my PC atm, Athlon XP3200+ and 1GB Ram right now, +1GB of Ram in 10 days. OFP is runing a little better on High End PC`s. But I´m sure Armed Assault will benefit much more from a more powerfull machine than OFP. smile_o.gif

Edit:

Btw. I know that my PC is not a High End PC. wink_o.gif

yeh i see mostly everyone on here builds there own computer, while it probablly is simple when you know what your doing im somebody who would have trouble doing it. Although an Athlon 64bit's power is making me horny. :-) lol

Yeh, I got my older PC upgraded recently. It did have an Athlon XP 2000+, 768MB PC2700 ram and and some old ASUS motherboard. Now it has an Athlon 64 3000+, 512MB PC3200 ram (hopefully get another 1GB when possible) and an Abit AV8-3rd Eye motherboard (one of the best socket 939 motherboards around imo), which is designed for overclocking. Check this review: http://www.rage3d.com/content/reviews/mobo/abitav8/?p=2

Personally I would stay away from Dell, yes the quality is usually good and so is their customer service, but lets face it, they are selling old crap for lots of money. I bought my laptop from a UK company called MESH, and you get LOTS more for your money.

Look here: http://www.meshcomputers.com/updated/matrix_2_3.htm

Thats one off the cheapest Dual core systems around from what I've seen. They have a great reputation (always good reviews), packed with features and options and are cheap.

My 2 pennies... tounge2.gif

A Pentium 4 [2.80 ghz] 1mb l2 cahce 533 mhz front side bus     512mb shared ddr sdram 80gb HD [intel Extreme Graphics Card 2]. 48x CD Burner/ DVD Combo, and a 15' Flat Panel Display with a 4 year warranty... The whole point of this post is to let me know if my flashpoint will play to its best on this system.

I play Flashpoint on a Pentium4 AMD processor, 2.1 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 80GB HD fitted with a Nvidia GeForce4 card, 128 Mb and a 21" monitor and it runs like a dream.

This system (and notice that it´s weaker than yours) lets me play with the following settings:

resolotion 1024x768x32 or 1280x1024x32

viewDistance: 2000-2500

detail: high

blood, shadows, etc: enabled

I don´t think there is anything wrong with your specs. Flashppoint isn´t that CPU hungry even with large addons folders.

I play unhindered with all BAS addond + latest ECP + some small extras on the larger of the Tonali island.

Arrange your addons in mod folders and start with the -nomap command and you should be able to enjoy flashpoint as it should be.

The quality of your CD-burner, printer and other extras does not affect your Flashpoint game. And Dell has excellent support services for their products (at least in Sweden) . Good luck with your new comp. I think it´s a good machine and since your parents paid for it, the price isn´t important either  whistle.gif

Quote[/b] ] its just that asking PC gamers what they think of Dell is like asking Mac users what they think of Microsoft.  biggrin_o.gif

It´s like the weapon selection screen in OFP, when you´re chosing between the machinegun and the sniper rifle. They have different uses.

I chose my Macintosh for layout, photos and writing. My PC for everything else.

I play Flashpoint on a Pentium4 AMD processor, 2.1 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 80GB HD fitted with a Nvidia GeForce4 card, 128 Mb and a 21" monitor and it runs like a dream.

There is no Pentium4 AMD Processor out there. It can only be an Pentium that is made by Intel or an AMD. huh.gif

it'll probably run fine, its just that asking PC gamers what they think of Dell is like asking Mac users what they think of Microsoft.  biggrin_o.gif

hmm - Dell is my favorite; no probs at all and if there are some => i'll get a new system in 24h from Dell (i know that because i did such deal)

... have you ever tried to argue with noname shops about their hardware and problems with it?  wink_o.gif

P.S. FSB533 is more than enough; i also have one Dell with 800FSB - no difference to 500FSB ....

There is no Pentium4 AMD Processor out there. It can only be an Pentium that is made by Intel or an AMD. huh.gif

Yes, obviously icon_rolleyes.gif The correct way to write it would have been a Pentium4-equivalent AMD processor. But I think the message got through anyway. That is: Landwarrior87 should be able to play OFP with good performance until armAss is released, and then probably be able to play armAss without any major performance loss.

Btw, I also play on an Intel made Pentium4 with aproximatly the same specs from time to time, and I´ve never noticed any real difference (except that there´s a larger monitor hooked up to the Intel machine, but that´s hardly a property of the processor).

Yes, obviously icon_rolleyes.gif The correct way to write it would have been a Pentium4-equivalent AMD processor. But I think the message got through anyway. That is: Landwarrior87 should be able to play OFP with good performance until armAss is released, and then probably be able to play armAss without any major performance loss.

Btw, I also play on an Intel made Pentium4 with aproximatly the same specs from time to time, and I´ve never noticed any real difference (except that there´s a larger monitor hooked up to the Intel machine, but that´s hardly a property of the processor).

We built my PC which is a AMD Athlon 64 3000 2.0 (I think) 1024 mb of RAM a 256mb Nvidia 6200 and  I cant remember how much it is but I believe it was somewhere between $500 - $600. It is much cheaper and not very hard to do. But if you get a bad part like I did, which was my RAM, we had to get another one, which took forever...but other than that building your own PC is good.  smile_o.gif

Guest The Cobra

I'm gonna wait for Intel Pentium 6 (64-bit processor biggrin_o.gif)

Dunno why they skipped 5... Hmm?

See it like this;

5=V

V=Victory

And that means a subliminal message, wich will make companies and individuals to buy it...

Ey??

crazy_o.gif

wink_o.gif

I have a Dell (C510?) which can still run ofp =) nearly looks like Glide mode like Carma2 but it can be done I've tested my Homeland Island 512x512 on it without crashes. Only has 256mb ram. I never used a Dell PC before so I don't know how their doing there.

I would never say that Dell computers are complete crap, but using OLD hardware in NEW PC's is a joke.

MfG Lee wink_o.gif

Guest The Cobra
I would never say that Dell computers are complete crap, but using OLD hardware in NEW PC's is a joke.

MfG Lee wink_o.gif

LOL, Dell is a joke

wink_o.gif

There are plenty of hardware themed threads in OT, we don't need a new one each time someone buys a new mouse mat, find an existing one and use it please.