Sign in to follow this  
FischKopp

Polygon limit!?

I noticed a limitation, i think.

I made a M1A1 with about 8000 Polys. Now I tried to add a mine plow but both, buldozer and OFP crashes. After closing ofp an error with my graphic card appears on screen and the screen resolution is set to the lowest level.

My question is that a limitation of the game or the graphic card

=> ATI 9800 Pro 128 MB

both Ofp and Bulldozer can aparently display upwards of 20K polys .

It is more likely a fault or inconsistancy with the model .

Try copying the whole model with plough into a new instance of O2 , now remove all the previous named selections and save that LOD , if the viewer now allows you to see both models then you know its a problem with the number of named selections ... this is one of the factors that drops the number of polys the viewer will render .

If you still cant see the model , try tracking down any other inconsistancies  , sometimes just cutting and pasting into a new workspace can be enough .

Also try different drivers ..... my old GForce4 64mb was fine for O2 viewing

yeah LOD aren´t the problem.

I cut some of the track stuff selections ("koll1", "kolop1", ... ets) and suddenly the mine plow appears. with them it caus a crash of OFP and buldozer. In game i have no problems with the track selections. They work like they have to work (if i cut the mine plow).

@FischKopp

I have just hit this same wall with one of my models.

Except my magic vertex count is 7000, anything over this causes a CTD in OFP. (no problem with buldozer)

Vexing thing is 3 days ago everything was fine then yesterday CTD unless count is dropped below 7000.

I can still run other models with a vertex and face count of 12000 plus that use the same config and textures.

delete all selections from your model , probly just need to do the 1st LOD ...

save it and re-open it , and re-name all the selections  , its a long drawn out process i know but it should work

Cutting and pasting into a new work area with no selections seems to get rid of all the hidden properties that get lumped together with the model  , from here you can start afresh .

Ok, i deleted all selections and renamed them manually and loaded after every change buldozer new. To be sure that it works. It had worked till i´ve named the fithed tank wheel ... then crash. To be sure that not the highpoly wheele caused the crash i´ve done that with my low poly wheele of one of my further LODs ... and it crashed. I think the "koll" stuff need so many resources that it cause crashes in Buldozer and later in OFP.

In OFP it looks weired. Only for two seconds it work probaly and then it looks like the tank is blown up like ballon or so. The screen is fullfilled with the polygons of the tank. Then the game freeze and my only recue is strg+alt+entf.

The only solution i can figure out ist to reduce the polys somehow ... but how crazy_o.gif

Meanwhile i had cout some polys from my org model for a special mine plow version. 122 olys less than the org with mine plow. Buldozer do render it but OFP still crashes ... last time was so heavy that i had to restart my PC ...