Sign in to follow this  
Vit-Vit Labs

Mi-8/17 Pack - Beta 2

I can't hold this anymore.

When I first started the AH-64, it took me about 2 days due to my inexperience to get a working model that even looked like the helicopter. From there, through all the implementations, I spent a hell of a lot of time banging my head trying to figure out the solution to script problems, which at the time I had very little experience with. Eventually I got so tired with it that I shelved it. Fast forward 6 months later, and I finally figure that out, and shelve it again.

Then around 9 months ago, I decided I'd try making a RAH-66. It took me around... 8-10 hours to make that model. Drastic change from the 2 days on the AH-64, no? So, while looking at that aircraft, I found myself using the old rotten AH-64 more than the RAH-66. I decided to see what I could do to make it at the very least a passable addon for people to try, and release it. I did this at the time only as a test to see how people reacted to it.

Considering what a mess it was at that time, I really lucked out in how people thought of it. Then eventually I shelved it again and kept to myself. Around 5 months ago, Nodunit got ahold of me, wanting to get the aircraft better textured and improved. I didn't have anything better to do so I went along with it. It took 5 months of heavy remodeling, rescripting, testing to finally get it where it is now - which is still in a barely acceptable state (note the problems some people have had with lag).

Every single piece of that addon was a lot of work, most especially the modeling point, but also to a degree the scripting. I mashed together scripts with totally unrelated purposes to get a relatively ineffecient script that barely pulled along. To boot, I based it off of a lot of other folks' work. There was a time where I sat there and thought "Maybe it isn't a good idea to release this. A lot of the scripting work still retains all that hard work they put into this script. I don't think I want to get any fallout from those people, and they'd be justified, too."

What I did? Well, I credited them. A lot of those guys who contribute to OFPEC, the BAS team, DKMM, Col. Klink, and others make a lot of the advanced scripting functions we have today possible, because of the work they did for free and no charge. These guys worked their butts off for something that isn't even real.

Now, think about this for a moment: If all these guys came along and suddenly decided after their first addons, that they didn't want to put all this work into something that is purely imaginative, and so quit doing it completely, what are we left with? Almost every modern addon these days has some root towards the philosophies set forth by those teams and individuals. Where would we be without the hard work that they put into this fictional world?

This isn't even actually limited to the physical ideas they proposed, but also the ideas that never got written out. The concept of DKMM's Mi-28, the design of BAS's MH-60s, the scripters wild ideas from OFPEC all contributed a lot to this game for absolutely no reason at all, with no real incentives except for a community demanding all these implementations for them to use. Is it all open source? Yes. Does that make it free? No. Why not? Because the actual work people put into this game is worth more than money. And we get it all for free.

Think about that for a bit, then come back and tell me that it's ok to take the hard work of others without crediting them or even mentioning them. I think a lot of you have a pretty flawed perception of what goes on down here sometimes.

very often, making even simple texture is not only about 15mins of fooling in photoshop.

sometimes its whole process of learning to make something

learning how to paint scratches took me some time, now its simple for me, but wasnt before, i didnt have any tuts or something

but the hardest part for me was learning how to map textures on models

i hate flat mapping on round surfaces

and sometimes more complicated objects are so damn hard to map in o2, so iv started to learn unwrappin in lithunwrap

but when you map models in lithunwrap they loose all selections

so after importing them you need to scale what you made, add again selections, and so on and so on

everything takes so much time

im releasing addons as open source so ppl who dont have so much time to spend on learning can have base for theyr own addons

all i want in advance is simple credits line in readme

and yes, im probably terrible selfish, becouse when im helping someone i expect this person to say thanks

say thanks by giving me credits line in readme.

and what i realy like is when ppl who used my stuff are releasing it also as open source, potentialy helping this way some other ppl

its all about respect for others by sayng thanks.

if you cant do that

your not worth of help ppl are offering you.

Quote[/b] ]Read whole topic before accusation like this, ok ? Because now you are acting like an f**** asshole.

Kuro do I know you or what gives you the right calling someone you don't even know an asshole just because he posted his opinion? band.gif

Go to a lame CS forum with a language like this, there you might fit better and the kids find you cool.

Anyhow, enuff said. With this bunch of selfish kids it's useless.

@Vit

As mentioned in my mail, probably it's really the best to leave this kids alone and keep your addons as private projects.

Quote[/b] ]Read whole topic before accusation like this, ok ? Because now you are acting like an f**** asshole.

Kuro do I know you or what gives you the right calling someone you don't even know an asshole just because he posted his opinion? band.gif

Go to a lame CS forum with a language like this, there you might fit better and the kids find you cool.

Anyhow, enuff said. With this bunch of selfish kids it's useless.

nice one, im releasing something as open source and all i want is one line i readme, and this makes me selfish

ofcourse skipping the fact that ive made free addon for ppl to play in ofp - that is 100% selfish

@Vit

As mentioned in my mail, probably it's really the best to leave this kids alone and keep your addons as private projects.

yes, that is good advice

without releases he will not need to credit anyone.

Thread closure for the length of time of Kuba's Post Restriction - i.e. 48 hours.

Kuba, calling people names is a good way to have yourself banned from this forum.

Cooling off period is over.

Discussion should continue about the helicopters only.

If this goes off-topic again, and requires moderation, then it will be closed for good.