Sign in to follow this  
Warden

Territorial Army

Does anyone on the Boards have any experience with the TA? Was looking around a Recruiter Stall today and was thinking about it, but i'd like some first hand accounts of the weekend Warriors. (the Actual TA guys where quite busy)

Warden

The territorial army is a branch of the Brittish millitary ,a kind of reserves it seems.

http://www.ta.mod.uk/

Didn't know that though ,google power ,but next time you might add what you are talking about in youre firts post.  wink_o.gif

Well he's asking people who've had experience in the TA... so I'm assuming those people would know what he's on about, or just British people in general.

Well he's asking people who've had experience in the TA... so I'm assuming those people would know what he's on about, or just British people in general.

True ,but nevertheless... ,lots of nationality's and people here ,and they might be interrested tto know what it is.Like me ,who hence searched it up in google. wink_o.gif

No pun intented to the original poster though. huh.gif

... if i understand first post corectly huh.gif ,

then ex-Yugoslavia is a perfect place to searh.

since every Republic of YUG. had TA forces ...

... if i understand first post corectly  huh.gif ,

then ex-Yugoslavia is a perfect place to searh.

since every Republic of YUG. had TA forces ...

Territorial Army mate, even I understood it wink_o.gif

British Army soldiers and officers. Get paid the same rate though don't work aslong obviously.

... so i didnt understand it .. damn :oops: whistle.gif

anyway, it point me to this thinking cose the expression `Territorial Army` was wide spread around here (Balkans) in 90`s,

the `local` forces (TA) who fough against federal army `JNA`.

:oops: again

... so i didnt understand it .. damn :oops: whistle.gif

anyway, it point me to this thinking cose the expression `Territorial Army` was wide spread around here (Balkans) in 90`s,

the `local` forces (TA) who fough against federal army `JNA`.

:oops: again

Oh yer, i didn't know you was in Serbia, sorry for that.

Well i do apologise for not being totally clear in my first post.

Yes its the British TA

Yes i am interested in joining.

And getting all the DVD's brochures is nice but first hand accounts matter far more than glossy advertising.

.. or worse if things start go really really ugly somewhere. (Iran, i am looking at you)

@ July 10 2005,01:01)]And yes... You WILL end up in Iraq.....

Just say you are a student, and they can't send you.

Its called the Territorial Army, its our reservists.

Welcome to the world.

im in the TA, i found it worth while joining, the pay isn't to good, but i would do it for free anyway, you make some good friends to.  smile_o.gif

and sfwannabe u need to show some more respect. my when my regiment was deployed to iraq (168 pnr regiment &  i did'nt go becuase i was still doing my basic training) they provided convoy protection to the black watch when the went to baghdad. and spent a week in baghdad itself. we may be part time soldiers but we can still get the job done confused_o.gif

Its very annoying but its about the same level as respect he normally operates at, so i guess its no offence to the TA and its members in particular, everyone and everything gets the treatment. icon_rolleyes.gif

Just be glad he has almost run out of ways of telling people to shut up without using those two words together rofl.gif

I haven't been a Terrier so treat this 'advice' with some suspicion but you might want to check out how your employer feels about the TA.  Institutions like the Police, Health Service and, maybe, local government are probably quite supportive or tolerant of the TA, even to the extent of granting extra 'leave' in lieu of camps etc. because they are 'big' and see it as valid training that they don't have to give you.  However, given that you could be mobilised in the current climate, it's a bit of risk for smaller companies, irrespective of whether they like the TA or not.  You will have thought how it might affect your career and personal plans; those other parties may have a different view to you going over the hills and far away.

A lot, I imagine, will depend on the local unit.  My understanding is that the infantry side has been trimmed over the years with a shift towards logistic support roles.  Handy if you want an HGV licence but perhaps less attractive if you want to run about in the ulu.

Continuing the teach-in: technically, the TA aren't reservists.  Reservists are ex-regulars who still have 'reserve' commitments, i.e they can be recalled to the colours, for a period of years after they come out.  It's all part of what you sign up for.  There seems to be a preference for using the TA before reservists these days, though, presumably because of the currency of the TA's training.

An an ex regular I always frowned upon the TA as a bit of a joke.

My father was in the RAMC TA and ended up a WO1. This also did nothing for my attitude to the TA. wink_o.gif

I had very little to do with the TA whilst I was serving as I was armoured. I guess more of the support arms or Infantry have more interaction.

My attitude has changed somewhat after being a civvi t*** for almost five years and seeing more of the work the TA does.

Would I join the TA now? Yes and No. Yes as I think there are some good professional units out there, No as I do not fancy my local REME or Infantry that's on offer.

Quote[/b] ]and sfwannabe u need to show some more respect.
Dont even start.......
Quote[/b] ]An an ex regular I always frowned upon the TA as a bit of a joke.
I do the same with the Reserves and National Guard here too,because all of them I've met are college kids who think they wont ever have to go to war and whine when they're units are depolyed...
Quote[/b] ]we may be part time soldiers but we can still get the job done
No one said you didnt......

I do the same with the Reserves and National Guard here too,because all of them I've met are college kids who think they wont ever have to go to war and whine when they're units are depolyed...

Well their americans 'kids' so we can't expect much more now can we?

But i did say that if students join the TA then they are not allowed to go on active service.

Quote[/b] ]Institutions like the Police, Health Service and, maybe, local government

Police do not allow TA members, not sure about others.

Quote[/b] ]Well their americans 'kids' so we can't expect much more now can we?

But i did say that if students join the TA then they are not allowed to go on active service.

I beileve it was american kids who beat the UK when it was the most powerful nation in the world. rofl.gif Of course we had help from France,Spain,and the Netherlands. wink_o.gif But then I'll admit you brits got us real good during the war of 1812. banghead.gif

I too severed in the regulars and like Tankieboy thought the TA were a bit of a joke, but after leaving the army i was thinking about joining them. The two things that put me off were mixing my full time job with the TA and having a wife. I would love to go to Iraq but my wife didn't like that idea so i had to respect her wishes. If your a single guy then i would suggest you go for it as unlike the regulars your not tied down for a term of service afaik so if you wern't happy you could just leave. My moto is you have to try everything at least once....

I have no problem with weekend warriors I just have have problem with with the ones who think that the National Guard and/or Reserves is a way to get paid for playing soldier.

Always considered joining one of the part time services... be it the special constabulary, retained firefighters or the TA...

i guess i do view it at the moment as playing soldier, but a friend through OFP has just been sent out to Iraq with the TA's (my local TA as it happens as well) and he most deffinatly treats it seriously...

love the idea of it, hate the idea of being shot at - hence why i wouldnt join the army tounge2.gif