Sign in to follow this  
Laser

LSR US Navy SEALs Beta 0.5 Released

@Sputnik Monroe:

Well, you need to have'em patched to work properly in MP. Otherwise, new SEALs just take textures and a couple of models from there; SEALs are CPP'ed separately.

@All:

Yes, i have read all the comments which were posted here... and i think i'll try and find a compromise between realism and playability. Good thing is that there are no grave mistakes and misfits, so fixing 'em up would not take much time.

As i promised before, there are to be VBSS and CQB versions of the SEALs besides the LWF guys. I'm not sure when the release would happen, so i can't elaborate on a estimated release date... yet.

Any news on any upcoming addons packs from you laser? wink_o.gif

Overall I think its a great pack although I agree with what one guy said about the Seal with that black head cover.  I've never seen anyone wear that except professional swimmers and diving atheletes (as in olympic sports).  I'd also VERY much like to see both a woodland and desert SEAL with the MICH helmet.  Its a very unique and very nice helmet that is essential equipment for heavy assault missions.  In your weapon pack, you might also update the M60's to have one without the optics.  But I'm glad you have them in there.  The M60's are great old MG's and the M60E3 is supposed to be a fantastic weapon now that all the kinks have been worked out.  I never used the M60E3, but I did use the old version used in the Army before the M240 and it was a fantastic machine gun.  

As for the yellow sunglasses...eh... I think thats up to you.  They really do help with glare in real life, but not everyone uses them during combat. It probably is the smartest thing to do, but still only about 25% of soldiers wear any type of sunglasses during combat operations.  They yellow types actually even improve vision at night (my dad uses them for night driving) by reducing headlight glare and glare from streetlights.

As for bags... well in real life, yeah big general purpose bags are often used for numerous tasks, but in the middle of heavy combat you don't usually put your empty magazine away in a drop bag unless you have cover to do so.  But you can also just stick them back into your ammo pouch.  You just have to remember to pay attention when picking up a new magazine

that you're not accidentally loading an empty magazine into your rifle. lol  But usually its not a problem as you immediately notice that an empty magazine is much lighter then a full one.  

Howevever if anything the bags should be placed over on the sides and not in the front where indeed they would get in the way.  Also it should just be one bag if any.  But in OFP, because of the way the animations are, that might be difficult to do so best to either replace them with ammo pouches or just remove them I think (except on maybe the M60E3 gunner unless you make a new ammo bag for him).  But if you decide to keep them that's cool with me.  Not a big deal.

The grenade on the vest issue is also I think not a big deal.  True, that's usually not where grenades are placed, but in combat some soldiers attach grenades any place they can put them.  For clearing buildings, hand grenades are used alot so a soldier may carry quite a few.  If you're a right handed shooter, the nade on the left upper part of the vest shouldn't get in the way of anything.  But unless the unit SOP indicates a specific uniform/equipment layout, its personal preference as to what goes in the upper part of the harness.  Myself, I liked to put my knife there (hung upside down for quick drawing and cuz it just looks cool lol!) or sometimes a two-way radio if an operation required it.  

As for the M14.  Yeah an older model might be nice, but I suspect that the SEALS will likely adopt the newer customizable and lighter M14 variants soon so I think its cool.

I don't remember if you have a standard M14 in your pack or not, but if you do, a mission maker can always just swap rifles in the editor.... or even use the BIS or Jam2 M21.  

Finally I agree about the wire.  Its a nice detail, but it is true that any professional soldier would NEVER have that wire hanging out like that as it definitely would catch on equipment and other objects.  Most likely it would be covered when the soldier put his body armor on over it so that it didn't get in the way.

So overall its a great beta release with great textures and details.  With just a little fixes here and there, I think it will be perfect!

But again excellent job!!!

As Rizla Ranger says:

MAX RES!!! (Maximum Respect)

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

I bloke I know made some pics to point out the stuff that he thinks needs to be changed to make these units the cream of the crop.

http://staff.opflash.org/force_recon/BETA/sls1.jpg

http://staff.opflash.org/force_recon/BETA/sls2.jpg

http://staff.opflash.org/force_recon/BETA/sls4.jpg

http://staff.opflash.org/force_recon/BETA/sls5.jpg

http://staff.opflash.org/force_recon/BETA/sls6.jpg

Oh and he's aware that this is only an early version but constructive critism never hurts....Oh and trust me this bloke really seems to know his shit, if you don't believe me visit the OpFlashpoint.org thread for this and talk the man yourself.

:EDIT: I reworded this slightly so it doesn't sound like everything in the pics is exactly right because noone knows everything but yeah I don't know much about kits espcially for Navy Seals so I like the changes that are suggested in them.

Dude dont say people's textures are crappy and the grenades on the chest look cool so hush before you get banned. Also until you are as well know as laser you really shouldnt be saying anything except "Great job bro!!!!" and if your your friend is such an expert then tell him and give his critism himself and not be scared.

[Please remove image tags when quoting - Fubar]

I agree 100% with SFw, "they're too common and look sh*t, it's stupid and annoying and unrealistic, looks silly". All of those comments and others posted are not constructive criticism. Who are you to be the reigning authority on realism. Look to see what other long time posters such as Miles Teg have wrote when writing constructive criticism or otherwise helpful suggestions, "like to see both a woodland and desert SEAL with the MICH helmet", etc and comments like that. There's no harm in saying what you'd like to see or what you think could be improved, but certainly not when saying something looks like sh*t or silly. I saw you had several comments complimenting Laser's work, that's fine just don't call something crappy, especially when you're not contributing to the addon pool. Of course if there's something you'd like to see done or fixed, I strongly suggest you look to see how other people post comments. Constructive criticism is helpful, calling someone's work silly or crappy doesn't score any points with anyone, especially when you're talking about someone who came out with two huge addon packs within a short time.

He didnt, he pointed out where a texture didnt really blend in. Do people get banned now for constructive critisism?  rock.gif  I hope you never ever become a mod on any forum i frequent if thats a banning offence  rock.gif

Cmon, be sensible, the guy offered some helpfull comments. He didnt say "OMG these are soo crap STFU noob lolololol!". He illustrated pictures with points that he felt needed work, offering suggestions on how to improve those points. You cant GET more constructive with that. He has an opinion, that these things are unrealistic, and he got it across. I dont think he was rude. I havent seen Laser take offence. So why are you getting all defensive on Lasers behalf? Im sure hes big enough to look after himself and take constructive critizm as it comes. True maybe he could have used language abit better but when alls said and done its constructive.

The work is as always, great, Laser. Id go with the fixes for the most part, although keep the eyewear. smile_o.gif

He didnt, he pointed out where a texture didnt really blend in. Do people get banned now for constructive critisism? rock.gif I hope you never ever become a mod on any forum i frequent if thats a banning offence rock.gif

Cmon, be sensible, the guy offered some helpfull comments. He didnt say "OMG these are soo crap STFU noob lolololol!". He illustrated pictures with points that he felt needed work, offering suggestions on how to improve those points. You cant GET more constructive with that. He has an opinion, that these things are unrealistic, and he got it across. I dont think he was rude. I havent seen Laser take offence. So why are you getting all defensive on Lasers behalf? Im sure hes big enough to look after himself and take constructive critizm as it comes.

The work is as always, great, Laser. Id go with the fixes for the most part, although keep the eyewear. smile_o.gif

Why dont you look at what he said Pathy then you see that for somebody to say that your work looks like shit when they havent even made an addon and to add insult to injury con some poor kid to pass it on because they too scared to come on the offcial forums and say it would really piss me off.

I have. Why dont YOU look at whats said. Its not all negative. He points out things that are good, things that are bad. He doesnt say "this mag pouch is shit", he says "This mag pouch is too big, put X type there". Thats constructive. Thats telling how he thinks it should be improved. Even when he says "the texture here is crap", he also says "try to blend it in better". If someone did this to my addon, id be fine, as they are giving me stuff to work with. He never said laser HAD to take his advice, he was just offering suggestions.

Look, i dont even really need to argue this. The answer to the argument is here: Did laser take offence? No. Did laser take the constructive critism and say he was going to work some more on it? Yes. He might not go with all the points but im sure its more helped him than offended him.

So stop threatening someone with bans you cant enforce unless they shut up with comments you dont agree with. Thats not how this forum works.

I have. Why dont YOU look at whats said. Its not all negative. He points out things that are good, things that are bad. He doesnt say "this mag pouch is shit", he says "This mag pouch is too big, put X type there". Thats constructive. Thats telling how he thinks it should be improved. Even when he says "the texture here is crap", he also says "try to blend it in better". If someone did this to my addon, id be fine, as they are giving me stuff to work with. He never said laser HAD to take his advice, he was just offering suggestions.

Look, i dont even really need to argue this. The answer to the argument is here: Did laser take offence? No. Did laser take the constructive critism and say he was going to work some more on it? Yes. He might not go with all the points but im sure its more helped him than offended him.

So stop threatening someone with bans you cant enforce unless they shut up with comments you dont agree with. Thats not how this forum works.

I never threatened anyone with bans, so maybe you should read more closely and you'll see that what he said was wrong and also see that you dont know what your talking about. Also those comments were wrong and dragged them into the brighter light.

Nobody should be banned for lacking a some social skills, but I think a warning is always good. While those pics did make very good points, the original author of those pics and comments should tried not to be so arrogant in his comments. That just pisses people off. Some addonmakers have thicker skins then others. I know that sometimes I get a little hot tempered when someone makes rude comments about my mod team's work even if it is mixed with constructive criticisms.

At any rate, hopefully laser will just take it for what its worth and ignore all the stupid comments.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

I think you have to rememeber this is a beta release; what the guy said was not negative; only constuctive

Im sure Laser will be thankfull of getting some proper feedback

The dude works in a shop that sells military gear! And could probally get all of those outfits! including the other gear like pouches and stuff! He's ok and maybee its written a bit strange it's all ment well! really take it as constructive critisism and some things you could imaging happening before viewing...

They look nice though for sure, I must agree with the grenade though! Unrealistic Rambo style

The dude works in a shop that sells military gear! And could probally get all of those outfits! including the other gear like pouches and stuff! He's ok and maybee its written a bit strange it's all ment well! really take it as constructive critisism and some things you could imaging happening before viewing...

They look nice though for sure, I must agree with the grenade though! Unrealistic Rambo style

Yea ok whatever. What he said was rude it wasnt constructive critisism.

The entire time, he was simply offering constructive criticism and ways to fix things. If people get banned for that... I don't know what the world is coming to...

GREAT job Laser! Love the detail on the units, absolutely beautiful as always. Keep up the good work, and in a final release I'd like to see some of the changes Makivelli suggested. I agree with some things he said such as some of the pouches seeming out of place, and some blending issues, but nonetheless, some of the best units I've seen released for OFP.

How about stoping yack about BS? Who said what and why. Mods will resolve if any rule of conduct has been broken.

I think anyone can offer some valuable data for Laser to produce some Hi-Fi stuff.

I can donate my TC-2002 low-cut Helmet + basic texture for Laser only if he wishes to have it.

helmet-TC2002-2.jpg

Ya sure theres a couple of minor things that could be looked at but it doesnt stop me from going around blasting bad guys.

Good job Laser as usual! smile_o.gif

SF Wannabe, give it up man, don't get lasers topic locked because you're just being silly.

Anyhoo, this is currently my favourite OFP addon. Great job laser, keep up the good work. smile_o.gif

Ya sure theres a couple of minor things that could be looked at but it doesnt stop me from going around blasting bad guys.

LOL...CanadianTerror...this is classic straight and to the point biggrin_o.gif I don't see why people feel they have to argue about EVERYTHING on this board but anywho...Laser is definately doing an excellent job and Im very happy we finally have SEALs after sooooo many obstacles in the past....

Guys, drop it. If you have an issue with a post, use the RTM function - do not bicker in a thread.

then could you please delete his post?

?

Laser mate... looking good even for a beta. Looking forward to the full release. smile_o.gif

Hey Laser,

Can you perhaps do that helmet for them. It is pretty much a standard helmet for Seals.

helmet-TC-2001-1.jpg

funny how all these guys were hammering me for asking for screenshots.. now everybody wants their own litle personalized SEALs Team.

Laser make what ya want... im still gonna download it and play with em!! They kick a$$!

On a lighter note,

Laser, these are already my favourite ofp SF.

You've got the skills to make the toughest looking SF to date.

Out.

Is that the half-head helmet, without the radio headset, and NVG mounts?

Saying glasses look like shit, textures look crap, and grenade is stupid I think is pretty god damn rude.  Its not even a post from this forum however.  But I think ALOT of addon makers would get really pissed off with people talking like that about their hard work.   Even when an addon is shitty people shouldn't call it that and instead try to be a little more encouraging.  Maybe where you live acting like that isn't considered rude, but round about where I live you don't talk to people like that without pissing people off unless you know them really well and they know you're just messing around.

The problem with the internet is that people think everyone thinks just like them, and when people "don't get it" they get pissed off or act all hurt.  I'm no exception.  Some of you guys I just have no clue how you could not see that kind of language as not being rude.  Maybe you are used to people talking to you like that?  

How many of you guys defending that kind of behavior are addon makers or mission makers?   If so it would be interesting to see how you reacted to that kind of behavior towards your addons or missions.  One of my team members acted exactly like that on this forum and it was one of the reasons why he got banned from this forum.  Its simple.  People got REALLY REALLY pissed off by that kind of behavior even though he thought he was just being honest and giving constructive criticism.  That was just his manner of talking.

Yes these pictures do have some constructive criticisms but there are respectful ways to make constructive criticisms and there are disrespectful ways to make constructive criticisms.

These pics are most definitely disrespectful.

Anyways, maybe some of you are right that this is BS as the original poster of those pics isn't even on this forum.  Its mainly you guys defending that kind of behavior that's got me just shaking my head in bewilderment. Anyways,  I apologize from this going so offtopic.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>