Sign in to follow this  
MATRA

IGN previewnothing new

Quote[/b] ]May 20, 2005 - Back in 2001, Bohemia Interactive released a great war sim that took a fictional country and put it in the middle of a burgeoning war between the Soviet Union and the United States of America. It was one of the only games that took place during the cold war and managed to create a very complex and detailed war simulation from the perspective of a participant. Following the release of that parent title, Bohemia focused on creating expansion products that added missions and built on an already strong game.

But in the works was a sequel to the original. Unfortunately for Bohemia, Codemasters dropped the project along the way and own the rights to the name "Operation Flashpoint." Therefore, the game isn't actually called Operation Flashpoint 2 anymore and is now being called "Game 2" by the guys at Bohemia in lieu of a real game title. Regardless of the confusion about the title, the dev crew is still hard at work creating their next big wartime sim.

Game 2 moves the series into the near future. It's still a military simulation with sophisticated gameplay (meaning that it's not a run and gun type of shooter), but now also comes with light RPG elements like NPC conversation structures and a consequence system for the kinds of actions taken. For instance, if you run around shooting civilians or cap one of your own guys, your fellow troopers may start to hate you. If that happens, you may find they're less likely to come to your aid in a pickle. On the other hand, if you serve the good, save civilians, and lead wisely, you may find yourself fighting alongside friends that would die for you.

As with the last title, Game 2 will have some seriously large environments in which the game world exists. Terrain is covered with forests, deserts, wind blown grass, and real world vegetation. The main detail about the game world that's different is the dynamic content. Enemies and civilians really exist in the world and therefore will only talk to you about what they've seen. Interrogating enemies will only leave you with information about what that particular enemy has seen.

Also new to the experience was destructible environments. While the terrain won't suffer any damage, buildings definitely will. The destruction is based off of a combination of physics, material properties, and ballistics. Sure enough, when a tank was rolled in to throw down some pain, the building in its way collapsed in a heap of rubble.

There's obviously a lot more to see in this game, but it's still quite early in development and isn't Bohemia isn't expecting it to be released this year. Once the game gets to a state that's farther along, we'll have some more details for you.

Another one, nothing new??!!

http://pc.ign.com/articles/617/617974p1.html rock.gif

I wonder why BIS is this quiet?

And is codies planning on releasing their own version of ofp2?

Sorry, ive been away on holiday the past week... WHATS UP GUYS?!?!

link?

What? Thats it rock.gif I mean its good news to see media covering the game but gamespot and boomtown did a much better job imo, i say nuke the bastards, so much coverage on average games and all they could do for "game 2" was this? mad_o.gif .

Sorry, ive been away on holiday the past week... WHATS UP GUYS?!?!

You chose a especially bad time for a holiday I must say... tounge_o.gif

I suggest you just go read all the new threads, existing threads and the pressreleases from BIS... and we'll talk again in a months time or so... wink_o.gif

There are some features in this preview that I didnt know of. It adds some information although not very much.

Thanks MATRA

Does this mean we ca take prisoners?

Quote[/b] ]Interrogating enemies will only leave you with information about what that particular enemy has seen.

A moral system, surrendering?

would be great!!!

Sounds like Codpiecemasters is going to release a bastardized sequel to OFP that will likely feature elements that are looked upon more favorably by the general public. Read: morons.

Maybe they made some undesirable demands of BIS about where the development of the game was going? Maybe BIS told them what they could do with that and it resulted in the departure.

I'm thinking. Expanding ring ballistics... faster movement to facilitate strafing... you know. Pretty much just taking the idea of IGI 2 or Soldner and making it a bit more retard-friendly and slapping the name OFP 2 on it.

They said they wouldn't. However it makes -no- sense whatsoever that they'd drop BIS who has made a hyper realistic training tool, a proven team that can make a realistic war sim, thinking they could do better themselves.

I'd be -very- surprised if my predictions weren't at least partially accurate.

Quote[/b] ] The main detail about the game world that's different is the dynamic content. Enemies and civilians really exist in the world and therefore will only talk to you about what they've seen. Interrogating enemies will only leave you with information about what that particular enemy has seen.

You guys think this will be coded into the a.i. or implemented by mission design? It sounds like its a.i. coded. Meaning that the a.i. will be capable of detecting enemy or other units and their position and amount/type, headed direction and time of event, record/save the information and give it to you when asked about it, sounds too good to be true.

I wonder if we will be able to force them to cooperate, like having the retrieve this information if the a.i.refuses to do so freely crazy_o.gif .

Does this mean we ca take prisoners?
Quote[/b] ]Interrogating enemies will only leave you with information about what that particular enemy has seen.

A moral system, surrendering?

would be great!!!

This is so cool, this is gone be the most realistic game EVER made.

Screw BF2, this is the game to buy.

Anyway, I think my computer is gone die when I install "Game 2" on my computer.

Think of how much RAM and CPU this is gone take crazy_o.gif

link?

What? Thats it rock.gif I mean its good news to see media covering the game but gamespot and boomtown did a much better job imo, i say nuke the bastards, so much coverage on average games and all they could do for "game 2" was this? mad_o.gif .

IGN had a booth in E3 - it was a massage booth between west hall and south hall. tounge_o.gif

IGN had a booth in E3 - it was a massage booth between west hall and south hall. tounge_o.gif

Ralph, you lucky ....!

You were there, you saw it and Placebo and Maruk problably talked with ya, plus you are a inteligent, skilled, flashpoint experienced and nice human being...

How about you give us your preview? a very detailed preview of what they showned and told you about the "Game2" wink_o.gif .

You know we would all love you and send you flowers and shit, thank you Ralph... my great friend tounge_o.gif .

Ralph, you lucky ....!

You were there, you saw it and Placebo and Maruk problably talked with ya, plus you are a inteligent, skilled, flashpoint experienced and nice human being...

How about you give us your preview? a very detailed preview of what they showned and told you about the "Game2" wink_o.gif .

You know we would all love you and send you flowers and shit, thank you Ralph... my great friend tounge_o.gif .

read boomstown.net article. they pretty much covered what I was able to see.

So did you actually witness proper building destruction?

So did you actually witness proper building destruction?

duh.

They could make it Uber realistic by making the Russians Speak russian and you had to get a translator to understand them

And the civies speak there native lanfuage