Sign in to follow this  
Supah

replaced heat sink

Hi!

Today I removed the heatsink and fan from my PC to replace it with a more effective one. when I removed the old heatsink I saw that the top black layer of the processor (socket 478 P4 2.6). But as what was below it didnt look damaged I thought that was normal. I continued to remove the braces for the original fan attachment from the motherboard per instruction from the new heatsink (its a Thermaltake Tower112), put the thermal paste on the CPU and attached the heatsink per instruction. Now that all is reinstalled it powers up for one second and then powers down again. The LED on the motherboard that shows there is power on it burns like it should. Its just when you push the power switch it doesnt do what you'd want it to do. What I am thinking:

- Motherboard might be broken, but the LED is burning ....

- CPU broken ... does the toplayer matter?

- Heatsink not screwed on thightly but would that cause this behaviour?

What do you guys think?

Supah,

In most cases where pc turns on for a fraction then turns off again it s a defective powersupply.

Also check if the memory is fitted tight enough, since memory is near the cpu maybe one got out of his slot while you were fitting the cooler.

So take all memory sticks out and refit them again.

Also take off your new cooler & cpu, and refit them.

I m sure you gave your new cooler power ?  Or didn t you.

Before doing all that disconnect the power from the motherboard and refit it when you done all that ( big connector near the memory ( usually white )

Hope one of these help.

Ofcourse be carefull with the pins of your cpu, they kinda bent easy.

Cheers

Does your power supply run normally ?

Have you affected any electronic components during the change of cooler ? Some coolers are are bugger on some boards and are in the way of some components. Have any ogf them been bent ?

Did you wear a anti-electric shock wristtape ? Or did you touch the radiator in your room prior thae process to get you grounded ?

Did you move the processor ?

Did you put much pressure on motherboard when installing the fan ?

If the internals of the CPU is exposed, the CPU is wasted.

The light on the mobo is showing it's got juice running through it.

If the heatsink is not properly installed, eventually, the processor WILL overheat, and the system will shutdown- HARD. However, that takes a few minutes if the system is cold.

My guess, is: Your processor had overheated, under your old heatsink, and after removing the old heatsink you removed part of the CPU's casing, exposing it's internal circuitry. Then you applied thermal paste into the "wound", causing a short.

Sorry, but I think you'll need to replace your CPU.

The power source is usually the first thing that goes boom.

If the powercord was still attached to the power supply the case would ve still be grounded and i m pretty sure he touched the case and discharged his static energy that way.

Ferret ... in all my years i never saw the casing of a cpu come off so i doubt the casing is off.

The black stuff is probably hardned thermal paste.  Besides, never seen a black P4 CPU ever, they are green on the sides with a silver casing in the middle.  Only black one i ever saw was a P 200 MMX and that still had a silver casing only black circuit board.

Cheers

Does your power supply run normally ?

Yes smile_o.gif It even keeps running for a bit after the power have been removed like it should.

Quote[/b] ]

Have you affected any electronic components during the change of cooler ? Some coolers are are bugger on some boards and are in the way of some components. Have any ogf them been bent ?

Not that I noticed.

Quote[/b] ]

Did you wear a anti-electric shock wristtape ? Or did you touch the radiator in your room prior thae process to get you grounded ?

I touched the frame when the power cord is still in, apparently that grounds you too?
Quote[/b] ]

Did you move the processor ?

Not that I know off

Quote[/b] ]

Did you put much pressure on motherboard when installing the fan ?

Nope but one of the screws would come loose easily so I had to use a bit of force to get it too budge.

JAP:

When I first installed the CPU on the then new Motherboard the instructions from Intell didnt tell me to apply paste and neither did the package include any so I didnt.

His post regarding the condition of the CPU was rather unclear. Something was black... And I was for some reason was thinking of the Pentium Xeon, or something similar.

I have only ever bought AMD's, myself.

As to some CPU coolers interfering with the mobo, I have had some heatsinks damage capacitors near the socket.

His post regarding the condition of the CPU was rather unclear. Something was black... And I was for some reason was thinking of the Pentium Xeon, or something similar.

I have only ever bought AMD's, myself.

As to some CPU coolers interfering with the mobo, I have had some heatsinks damage capacitors near the socket.

The top of the CPU looked smooth and undamaged.

Is it this kind of cooler?

28283.jpg

Heatsink Dimension 60x60x145.5mm (59 fins)

Heatsink Material Copper

Heatpipe Copper Tube ( 6 mm) x 3pcs

Compatibility:

Intel P4 LGA775

Intel P4 478 Prescott FMB1.5 3.6GHz

AMD Athlon 64 / Athlon 64 FX

AMD Athlon XP up to 3400+

Supah,

Nowadays the thermal paste is already on a small ( square ) layer on the bottom of your new cooler. It s more like a sticker then fluide paste.

Did you try those things i said btw ?

If you did and still nothing you can be pretty sure it s either the PSU or the motherboard, although i doubt the moterboard.

Even if the PSU is faulty you can still see the light on the mobo, but that doesnt mean the PSU is good.

Cheers

did you plug yer new fans power to the mobo?

Is it this kind of cooler?

[im]http://www.pcutstyr.no/BILDER/28283.jpg[/img]

Heatsink Dimension 60x60x145.5mm (59 fins)

Heatsink Material Copper

Heatpipe Copper Tube ( 6 mm) x 3pcs

Compatibility:

Intel P4 LGA775

Intel P4 478 Prescott FMB1.5 3.6GHz

AMD Athlon 64 / Athlon 64 FX

AMD Athlon XP up to 3400+

Thats it smile_o.gif

JAP: Tried most of them but not all smile_o.gif right now I am a bit tired wink_o.gif will try them tomorrow smile_o.gif The PSU is a two month old Enermax PSU I bought because the old one didnt quite cut it smile_o.gif

One more quick thing you can try is disconnect the power of the new cooler and see if it boots further. If it does you know there s a problem with the cooler.

Dont leave it on too long cause it will crash in about 5 minutes time when not cooled.

Cheers

One more quick thing you can try is disconnect the power of the new cooler and see if it boots further. If it does you know there s a problem with the cooler.

Dont leave it on too long cause it will crash in about 5 minutes time when not cooled.

Cheers

This type of cooler is designed to operate without a fan. I ran it with two 80 mm fans attached but not to the CPU fan connector on the motherboard. Then I though hey maybe it needs to have a CPU fan connected to the connecter and tried it with one of the fans connected to the CPU fan connecter. No dice. smile_o.gif The fans on the cooler were in the system before this change of heatsink just in different positions, so the powersupply could handle them before.

Be careful, because depending on your CPU, it can be shorter than that. I've seen a movie showing what happens to CPU after radiator is removed. Enough to say, temperature skyrocketed to 300F in around one minute. That was one of those old Athlons that had very high power demands... it's not that bad ever since CPUs are built in 0.13um and less process.

That P4 2.6 is pretty tough.If it overheats ..thermal protection will shut it down.Let the CPU cool and it will switch on again.(unlike original Tbirds will fry in few seconds)

I doubt you popped your cpu even if you turned it on without fan/heatsink attached.

I'm guessing the heatsink isn't resting completely on the CPU.

And you did plug your CPU fan in? (some mb's won't boot without the voltage draw of a cpu fan)

Also just possible that it runs a few degrees hotter and your bios is set to shutdown the computer at that temp

This is really a wicked one. You got the fan working (respective the passive device), you got checked the electronic components below the fan for bending. You didn´t touch anything apart from the cooler. You applied heat grease or whatever it´s named and still the comp won´t run...

You neither moved nor touched your RAM

Why should your Power unit fail ?

it´s just not logical.

I´m still defending my Mobo rupture theory. Pressure on mobo is never good, especially when the Mobo is punctually pressured likey your post indicates.

I agree with Balschoiw, installation of a cooler on the CPU is one of the top reasons for inadvertant damage to a motherboard. It's often caused by scratching with a screwdriver, or breaking a capicitor's connecters.

Further, the amount of force needed to install a heatsink over the socket often requires the use of tools, and a damaging amount of force applied to the very delicate structure of the motherboard.

Motherboards are constructed of laminated plastic, inlaid with micron-thin layers of conductive metal. It's FAR too easy to damage while installing a heatsink.

I've never damaged a mobo this way, but it makes me SWEAT everytime I have to do it. And I've built a dozen sytems in the last decade. I suppose it's the hundreds of my own dollars involved that makes me nervous.

EVERYTHING that must be installed on a mobo should be made to zero insertion force/no tools required- standards.

What type of mobo do you have?

Try to reset the BIOS according to the mobo manual (usually a jumper) and then power it up. I've only had to do that when switching out AMDs so in this case it might not do anything. However, I did have a mobo do exactly what you mentioned due to a bad capacitor.

Caps hold a charge even after switching a unit off. If you touch one, you can possibly short something out.

I'm guessing the heatsink isn't resting completely on the CPU.

And you did plug your CPU fan in? (some mb's won't boot without the voltage draw of a cpu fan)

Also just possible that it runs a few degrees hotter and your bios is set to shutdown the computer at that temp

I tried plugging one of the fans in the CPU FAN port, it didnt help.

I did remove the ram as I thought it would be better to just remove all the parts to prevent damage to them while I removed the black plastic piece from the motherboard, however I stored them in a anti static bag just to be sure and didn't apply much force when reinserting, I am starting to think it might be my motherboard as well, which is a Asus P4P800 SE Deluxe by the way. On another forum people said it could be due to the heatsink not being tight enough or not contacting the CPU totally. I'll trying loosening it and then I'll try fastening it. Luckily a new p4p800 is just 90 euro's so no big loss but annoying none the less smile_o.gif

I still dont think it s the motherboard.

Getting more and more sure its the PSU.

Also with a P4 cooler you dont need screwdrivers to put it on you normally fix it to plastic brackets on the motherboard.

Motherboards are also thougher then most ppl think, you can put on more force then you might think.  Scratching it is another thing tough.

You said you replaced that PSU 2 months ago, you still got the old one lying there ?  If so, install it and check if it boots, it s only about 7 connectors to swap ;-)

Cheers

If you accidently pushed the motherboardboard down on the rig (shell), the motherboard is grounded and wont boot (psu protection from short circuit). If this is the case you will have to unatach the motherboard and attach it again with all the things on it making sure its not touching the shell.

I tried it once.

Also with a P4 cooler you dont need screwdrivers to put it on you normally fix it to plastic brackets on the motherboard.

Motherboards are also thougher then most ppl think, you can put on more force then you might think. Scratching it is another thing tough.

You said you replaced that PSU 2 months ago, you still got the old one lying there ? If so, install it and check if it boots, it s only about 7 connectors to swap ;-)

Cheers

Yes but you have to remove the plastic bracket to fix the new CPU cooler smile_o.gif

Motherboards are also thougher then most ppl think, you can put on more force then you might think.  Scratching it is another thing tough.

You said you replaced that PSU 2 months ago, you still got the old one lying there ?  If so, install it and check if it boots, it s only about 7 connectors to swap ;-)

Cheers

Yes but you have to remove the plastic bracket to fix the new CPU cooler smile_o.gif

and you used hammer and screwdriver to get them off ? tounge_o.gif