Sign in to follow this  
Supah

replaced heat sink

I still dont think it s the motherboard.

Getting more and more sure its the PSU.

Also with a P4 cooler you dont need screwdrivers to put it on you normally fix it to plastic brackets on the motherboard.

Motherboards are also thougher then most ppl think, you can put on more force then you might think. Scratching it is another thing tough.

You said you replaced that PSU 2 months ago, you still got the old one lying there ? If so, install it and check if it boots, it s only about 7 connectors to swap ;-)

Cheers

Yes but you have to remove the plastic bracket to fix the new CPU cooler smile_o.gif

and you used hammer and screwdriver to get them off ? tounge_o.gif

pfff come on! I'm no butcher, I own a dremel! wink_o.gif Nah I snipped them off at the back with some pliers like the instruction manual said I should. I bought a new motherboard, installed it and now it runs like a charm smile_o.gif Thanks for the help all !

Interestingly passively cooling it without any fans attached to the heatsink but removing the covering from it so there is open airflow on all sides of it cools it just as well, it even went down 2 degrees celsius. what it looks like:

heatsink.jpg

Now in the lid of the case there are two 80mm fans blowing air into the case right next to it but still it is a noise reduction smile_o.gif