Sign in to follow this  
mrbean1112

need help w/ networking

ok, i spent 12 hours last week on this..... sometime in the next few weeks, when i get like almost a whole day where i am not busy. moving the modem to the other computer is not an option , i am going to get my computers networked so that i can have the internet on my gaming computer.. well i spent so much time doing it, i am using a belkin 4 port wired router. i have sbc yahoo dsl. i plugged in everything, the WAN, and the cords to hook it up to the LAN card. i click on internet explorer, it doenst load up anything so i type in the ip adress for the router, it was something like 192.168.2.1 it goes into the options. SBC uses PPPOE Right?rock.gif? i am pretty sure it does. so i enter in the username

bob@sbcglobal

sbcglobal

it goes past that

i go to clone mac adress. now there is already one there, but it isnt the same as the adapter adress. so i changed it. then i click okay, then it says to enter the DNS. i enter the one from winipcfg. then it says okay. it then goes to a test screen thing. i scroll down, it shows messages of trying to connect, then at the end it says username and password :: succesful (or something that says it worked)

so i exit that. go to enternet. click connect. it says beggining negotiation for the whole freakin time! is there anyone that has sbc yahoo dsl, and has a belkin router, or that can help me figure this out. if someone can help me with this, i will be much obliged.

wooh my wrist is sore. i really hope someone can help me, if it could help you, i could tell you what the errors say the next time i try it... but that risks not being able to get it to work again, that happened one time, and my mom got really p***ed at me

Looks to me like you have a DNS problem or some LAN setting problem in your IE

Be sure to put the right DNS addresses for your ISP into the routerconfig.

Provide us with a bit more info.

Go into dosbox and type "ipconfig /all" and give the info here.

Be sure to let the router be DHCP server and that your TCP/IP settings are all on automatic.

After that go into dosbox again and type "ipconfig /renew' see what IP you re getting from the router, it should be in the same range as the router, also check if the router provides you with the right DNS addresses as the ones from your ISP.

If that all checks out fine you should be able to logon to the internet. If not put the proxy server into your IE lan settings or remove it if there is a proxy server configured already.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

thanks i love you.. now i will try this in a few weeks, i will message you ahead of time, and maybe you could help me then, i will save this message and try this first mate. thx

any other suggestions are welcome though, in case this dont work.

THIS doesnt happen to be the belkin router your using does it?

if so then, may god help you :P ive got it and i suffer constant disconnections, dont know why, but there should be an IP addresse that you type into IE and it gets it to wor kagain :S the IP is 198.162.2.1 (i THINK, not used it in a while), also there is a reset switch on the back which you should hold down for 2 secs smile_o.gif

anymore help needed contact me on msn smile_o.gif

Wildo

THIS doesnt happen to be the belkin router your using does it?

if so then, may god help you :P ive got it and i suffer constant disconnections, dont know why, but there should be an IP addresse that you type into IE and it gets it to wor kagain :S the IP is 198.162.2.1 (i THINK, not used it in a while), also there is a reset switch on the back which you should hold down for 2 secs smile_o.gif

anymore help needed contact me on msn smile_o.gif

Wildo

hey that is! do you have that and have sbc yahoo dsl?

As long as this thread is here, I was wondering if I could get some help too.

A few months back my router got fried and we called someone out to elp us fix it. (At the time we didn't know it was the router) but he told us it was, and just directly connected the cable from our modem box straight to the tower. Recently I was trying to plug it through a new linksys router (4 ports) and I wasn't able to do it. I plugged from the modem to the router, and split it from there, one to my tower here, one to the tower in my bedroom. But neither internet worked, but all the lights on the router that needed to be lit, were. Are there some internet options I have to change around for the router, if so, which ones?

A few months back my router got fried and we called someone out to elp us fix it.  (At the time we didn't know it was the router) but he told us it was, and just directly connected the cable from our modem box straight to the tower.  Recently I was trying to plug it through a new linksys router (4 ports) and I wasn't able to do it.  I plugged from the modem to the router, and split it from there, one to my tower here, one to the tower in my bedroom.  But neither internet worked, but all the lights on the router that needed to be lit, were.  Are there some internet options I have to change around for the router, if so, which ones?

Yes there are.

1 st of all depending on your internet connection you ll either have cable or DSL.

With cable you ll normally dont have to configure anything concerning settings but just be sure to check if the connection setting in the router is set right. With DSL you gotta configure your connection in the router with username and password.

2 configure lan settings of router, you can change the settings or leave the IP range as it is, then activate ( normally it s standard activated ) DHCP on router.

3 configure firewall ... or dont if you dont wanna bother.

Then be sure to put your TCP/IP settings on your networkcard all to automatic. Go into the dosbox and type "ipconfig /renew" and see if you get an IP in the same range as router.

If you do and still no internet check the status in the router if it s connected or not. Sometimes linksys routers require a reboot after every change you make in them so also make sure you reboot the router after configuring it.

One other thing, here where i live the cable providers let the modem go in timeout when you try to reconnect it to another device or pc when you only got a single pc account. So before you connect the modem from the pc to the router release the ip you got from the router and it should be fine when you switch the connection. This you do also in the dosbox, type "ipconfig /release" and the complete tcpip settings will goto 0.0.0.0 then shutdown pc and do the switch. Most of the times a timeout lasts for 2 hours although this is something that depends from ISP to ISP.

Hope this helps..

Cheers

Hi all, I also have a network related question.

Like a week ago I went over to my friend’s house and I brought a computer and a netgear router with me. I connected both computers plus the broadband to the router and it worked. I never got the shearing thing between the computers to work, so the only way of sending files was over msn. Even though it went faster then 'regular' internet, it never reached an acceptable LAN speed.

So what is the easiest way to transfer larger files between two computers that are connected through a router?

A few months back my router got fried and we called someone out to elp us fix it.  (At the time we didn't know it was the router) but he told us it was, and just directly connected the cable from our modem box straight to the tower.  Recently I was trying to plug it through a new linksys router (4 ports) and I wasn't able to do it.  I plugged from the modem to the router, and split it from there, one to my tower here, one to the tower in my bedroom.  But neither internet worked, but all the lights on the router that needed to be lit, were.  Are there some internet options I have to change around for the router, if so, which ones?

You most likely need to reboot the modem or clone the Mac address of the network card the modem was connected to.

Cable/DSL lines only work if the modem recognizes the device connected to it. A reboot of the modem will clear it and reset it to the first device it connects to.

Quote[/b] ]Like a week ago I went over to my friend’s house and I brought a computer and a netgear router with me. I connected both computers plus the broadband to the router and it worked. I never got the shearing thing between the computers to work, so the only way of sending files was over msn. Even though it went faster then 'regular' internet, it never reached an acceptable LAN speed.

So what is the easiest way to transfer larger files between two computers that are connected through a router?

Windows file sharing is based on security settings. If you don't want to setup a bunch of crap just to share a few files, simply turn on file sharing by right clicking on a folder.. and follow these instructions (assumes Simple Sharing is enabled):

Quote[/b] ]Level 4: Shared on the Network (Read Only)

Files are shared for everyone to read on the network. All local users, including the Guest account, can read the files, but they cannot modify the contents. Any user can read and change your files.

To configure a folder and all the files in it to Level 4, follow these steps:1. Right-click the folder, and then click Sharing and Security.

2. Click to select the Share this folder on the network check box

3. Click to clear the Allow network users to change my files check box, and then click OK.

Local NTFS Permissions: • Owner: Full Control

• Administrators: Full Control

• System: Full Control

• Everyone: Read

Network Share Permissions: • Everyone: Read

Make sure your workgroup is the same (right-Click My Computer....Properties-->Computer Name tab) if not, use the Network ID wizard. Then open "My Network Places" --> View Workgroup Computers (on sidebar).

or access the files using Internet Explorer or File Explorer window and type " \\192.168.0.1\folderName " where the IP address is the address of your friends machine.

Note: You can hide a share by adding a '$' to the end of the share name.

For reference: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304040

Quote[/b] ]Like a week ago I went over to my friend’s house and I brought a computer and a netgear router with me. I connected both computers plus the broadband to the router and it worked. I never got the shearing thing between the computers to work, so the only way of sending files was over msn. Even though it went faster then 'regular' internet, it never reached an acceptable LAN speed.

Windows file sharing is based on security settings. If you don't want to setup a bunch of crap just to share a few files, simply turn on file sharing by right clicking on a folder.. and follow these instructions (assumes Simple Sharing is enabled):

Quote[/b] ]Level 4: Shared on the Network (Read Only)

Files are shared for everyone to read on the network. All local users, including the Guest account, can read the files, but they cannot modify the contents. Any user can read and change your files.

To configure a folder and all the files in it to Level 4, follow these steps:1. Right-click the folder, and then click Sharing and Security.

2. Click to select the Share this folder on the network check box

3. Click to clear the Allow network users to change my files check box, and then click OK.

Local NTFS Permissions: • Owner: Full Control  

• Administrators: Full Control

• System: Full Control

• Everyone: Read

Network Share Permissions: • Everyone: Read

Make sure your workgroup is the same (right-Click My Computer....Properties-->Computer Name tab) if not, use the Network ID wizard. Then open "My Network Places" --> View Workgroup Computers (on sidebar).

or access the files using Internet Explorer or File Explorer window and type " \\192.168.0.1\folderName " where the IP address is the address of your friends machine.

Note: You can hide a share by adding a '$' to the end of the share name.

For reference: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304040

Thanks smile_o.gif

Hi all, I also have a network related question.

Like a week ago I went over to my friend’s house and I brought a computer and a netgear router with me. I connected both computers plus the broadband to the router and it worked. I never got the shearing thing between the computers to work, so the only way of sending files was over msn. Even though it went faster then 'regular' internet, it never reached an acceptable LAN speed.

use ICQ (also a chat tool). When transferring data with it, its actually faster than normal explorer click and dragging. (Well it was back in win2k and win98 days.