Sign in to follow this  
chris330

Best Jungle Island

Dear All,

I would like to know what the best jungle island is for OFP. I am scripting a jungle based mission with some great music I managed to record from the Colombia level of Hitman Codename 47. I know there is ones such as the SEBNam island available and such but if I remember correctly the AI could see you through bushes and such like and the AI navigation was terrible through solid undergrowth.

So ideally I am after a good jungle island which runs well with no nasty AI or player related bugs. I had a look around and couldn't find anything but the SEBNam one so I thought this would be a great place to get some help from. Afterall it's what you're all here for biggrin_o.gif

Thanks again wink_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

General is for vanilla Opf, addon or mod related questions belong in the Addons & Mods: Discussion forum, moving smile_o.gif

you can try DAK seang island its the best jungle up to now in ofp you will need some other addons for it but its a real damn good island (althoug some things need to be fixed)

opf cz island pages

I'm allso looking for a South American feel on a jungle island.

The problem I found is that there is so many addon dependencies on the existing ones that for what missions I'm willing to make, you would need to download a lot of stuff that won't be needed in the actual missions.

This problem gets worse when the idea of making it a campaign comes to my head, and the thing is that the best thing for this missions would be a campaign, so the list of addons would be immense. I can't afford to ask the player to download 150 megs of addons when he/she will be only playing with a quarter of them.

So that makes me think that I should get my self working in a new jungle island, but for that I would need to lear terrain editors. Then because of the particulary kind of terrains I would need new models for vegetation and buildings, so I would have to learn to work with O2...  would I have chance to ever release a single mission from this project? I don't think so, because by the time I learn terrain creation, and how to work on Oxi, and then get things done, and done right, Operation Flashpoint 6 will be allready released crazy_o.gif

That's just the terrains, because I still wondering what I'm going to use for OPFOR, and the difference in areas gos like, Central America, Indo China Sea, Middle East, East Europe, and West Africa. Yes, a hell of a project, and all that based on Black Blood releasing his units or PUKF doing another good release with what I understand they will release. rock.gif

So a decent jungle island, addon dependency free would be magnificent.

Regards.

@CERO.

I'm working on the Jurassic Park mod jungle island, and i can say it would be one hell of a challenge to create a jungle without using addons, as far as i know the ones that come with flashpoint are only european.

When I meen without addons I meen third party addons that are attached to a major pbo like the seb nam, or Tonal. Is it there another island around that contains jungle vegetation and don't need any of this two addons? No as far as I know.

Edit: actually, the sebnam_ia_trang island folder is only 8.16 megs, and that includes the terrain pbo, the objects pbo and the intro folder, and it works without the need for other addons, so I gues this sort one of my problems, and if I was going to work on a jungle island I could allways use sebnam_ia_trang for the objects and vegetation. All I would need then is somebody to do some South American or Central American buildings and I could be rolling rader fast. ghostface.gif I supose I better star asking for permissions soon. biggrin_o.gif

Regards.

@CERO.

there is the a shua valley too its also a very good one it can also give the feel for middle or south america with al the small airfields out on it for drugs transports

i use it for a small mission where you are dropped in to waste a drugs baron

a shau and dak seang dont realy use a lot off 3rd party addons and its two islands lots of people have on there hard drive

there is the a shua valley too its also a very good one it can also give the feel for middle or south  america with al the small airfields out on it for drugs transports

i use it for a small mission where you are dropped in to waste a drugs baron

a shau and dak seang dont realy use a lot off 3rd party addons and its two islands lots of people have on there hard drive

Cheers for recommending DAK Seang Island. I had never heard of it before but the screenshots look AMAZING wow_o.gif I know it needs a few addons but I'm sure they will be worth the download to play an island of such quality. Would you be so kind as to tell me what problems the island has which say need fixing. I'm worried they might interfere with my mission.

I will put the map on my comp later and let you know how I get on with a few screenies to boot wink_o.gif BTW what is the maximum pixel size allowance for pictures on this forum tounge_o.gif

I tried it out and although it looks beautiful I must say it caused my computer to slow down quite alot. I'm still a bit unsure as to whether or not to use it for my jungle mission. Perhaps if I lowered viewdistance it might help. I currently have it set at 2000.

I might just stick to jungle everon or something like that though wink_o.gif

Dak Seang works perfectly if you lower the view distance in the mission and add a bit of fog, which also adds to the atmosphere smile_o.gif

Hey,

When i get back from Ecuador i´m planning on making an Island based on what i see daily when i´m working (in the cloudforest of the northern highlands).

It all depends on what permissions i can get for vegetation ect and if i can get any help with buildings ect. as i wont have loads of time to do everything myself, but hopefully it´ll end up with a really authentic feeling island.  blues.gif

Oh yeah - and its cloudy and rains alot of the time, particually afternoons.....viewdistance of 1000 would be realistic for sunny periods, 200 for afternoons where i am.

That sounds cool.

I have been to Equdor, be sure to go to Banos. I went on a tour from there in to the jungle. Very cool. You get to hold snakes and monkeys and stuff. Also River trips and hikes.

Also go to Chimborazo, a volcano, It is one of the highest places in South America. My dad climed it, it is 20,000 feet total and I walked to 16,000 feet (base camp).

Anyway, back to flashpoint; if you need any help making your jungle, I am able and willing. I am part of the Jurassic park mod, so i am making south american jungle anyway.

Cheers for recommending DAK Seang Island. I had never heard of it before but the screenshots look AMAZING wow_o.gif  I know it needs a few addons but I'm sure they will be worth the download to play an island of such quality. Would you be so kind as to tell me what problems the island has which say need fixing. I'm worried they might interfere with my mission.

well one problem i encounterd on dak seang was that the ground suddenly stopt on at least on side (when you sail along the coast in a boat or fly a chopper you can see underneath the island  sad_o.gif  )

your viewdistance has to be set pretty low ( i use around 800- 900 at most on that island) and indeed use some fog for atmosphere and it will run extemely  smooth and the objects have no config so you cant pklace them on any map yourself a other good part is that the base on the island is the only one and its very realistic (there is a small lookout post not far west from the main base)

You mean Bańos Ambato, right, not the other one? Been to it, its such a nice town. Climbed up past Runtun to get a view of the Volcano(cant remember the name TBH, there are alot of Volcanos in this country) but its always bloody cloudy in Bańos. The atmosphere of the place is real nice anyway, similar to Otovalo i think.

I´m doing Pichincha, Illiniza Norte and Cotopaxi (worlds highest active volcano, 19000 odd ft) in 3 weeks, might give Chimborazo a go if i get time, but so far nobody else in my group is interested in doing it. I suppose i could "go it alone" all the same (with a guide of course) wink_o.gif

The hikes are amazing here, the central highlands around Quilotoa and Chugchillan is my favourite kind of countryside, but itd come out more like Afganistan than South America on an OFP map - its the same kind of barren and sparsley vegetated plains with rocky mountains in the background.

Where was your jungle stuff? I guess around Tena or so? I´m working higher up in cloudforest north of Ibarra, quite near the Colombian border. The terrain there would come out quite well in an OFP map i think. Its not all total forest, so you wouldnt end up going overboard with trees and such, but the mix of open/rocky hillside, banana plantations/farms and areas of total forest would be a really nice combination. Its quite difficult to get realistic jungle though. Where i am, it just comes up in a total wall of plants either side of established trails tounge_o.gif and it takes some machete work to divert from those trails (ive got good with Machetes as a result though!).

Anyway, if i could use your plants, that´d be awesome. Ive still got 3 months left before i get back but i can use the time to foster some support and get permissions i suppose! Then when i get back hopefully there will be alot of decent vegetation in place.

I´ll try and compose a list of what i need anyway.

In the meantime.....got or know of any decent banana trees? Ive been observing them (i have to occasionally cut dead or deziesed (sp!) leaves off with machetes as part of my work) just incase i have to end up drawing them by hand (mouse) in Photoshop, but existing ones would save some effort.

These are pretty important to be honest -Banana plantations are everywhere. Youll always get a random tin roofed hut on a hillside in the middle of nowhere with a cluster of banana trees outside wink_o.gif

Thats another one. - anyone got a decent tin roof texture? wink_o.gif

Cool, my dad climed Cotopaxi too. Have you been to Quito, it is realy poluted but still nice.

I have started a Banana tree, I will finish it soon. Also i have a good Roof texture, tin.

and here is a picture of my jungle, all the plants are copys of real ones.

JunglePrimary.jpg

Didn't the Unsung releaed some time ago a jungle plants pack?

Regards.

@CERO.

I have tried Dak Seang and it's very nice but I can't live with the framerate issues which is s shame because the island is beautiful. From what I have seen I think the BAS Tonal island will be more than adequate for what i need wink_o.gif Great jungle feel to it and no framerate issues biggrin_o.gif

Thanks for the help in this thread

P.S. There is another island I have seen at .cz called Meekong Delta Island which i will have a look at and discuss later when I get home from work smile_o.gifwink_o.gif

I had a look at the Meekong Delta island and it's very nice but I can't really get on with it because the AI can see straight through the masses of bushes on the island. Although the bushes add a sense of really being in a jungle they exclude the player from joining in the firefight as you often see the AI just firing straight through these bushes at targets which are 100 metres away sad_o.gif Shame becuase other than that it's a great island. I tried Ia-Drang but I didn't get the feel of the jungle being dense enough to feel truly like vietnam. I think the best I've seen is BAS Tonal island.

Hopefully in OFP2 AI won't be able to see straight through bushes sad_o.gif

did you try the  A-shau valley over at opf.info?

That map is probably the best jungle map out there.

Cheers guys i will check that one out. I have most of the addons needed for jungle missions now so i will give it a go and let you know how I get on.

One problem I did find with Tonal were bullet proof bushes crazy_o.gif Shooting the hell out of a guy who was behind one of those things annoyed the hell out of me crazy_o.gif Hopefully this Ashua Valley wont have this problem smile_o.gif

Thanks for recommending it I'll have a go when I get back tonight and try it biggrin_o.gif