Sign in to follow this  
Guest RKSL-Rock

RKSL Studios

Guest RKSL-Rock
nice video looking foward to release

by the way, also liked the carrier, is it avalible for download.

Oops, that was the wrong vid... that was a private one...Please dont distribute that. I've swapped the link out now. Give it 10 mins and download it again.

Erm... no the carrier is the Falkland HMS Hermes. It will be released with the MoD.

As always, stunning work  smile_o.gif  Was awesome first time i watched that  wink_o.gif  Awesome this time too

LOL you do realise that this is a new one?

The other 2 were private releases.

wink_o.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock
As always, stunning work  smile_o.gif  Was awesome first time i watched that  wink_o.gif  Awesome this time too

LOL you do realise that this is a new one?

The other 2 were private releases.

wink_o.gif

OK smartarse. It is now a new video...should be finished uploading by 0225GMT.

wow, awesome!

FA-2 Sea Harriers are going to retirement? no way! confused_o.gif

and with what U.K. will replace them? JSF? huh.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock
wow, awesome!

FA-2 Sea Harriers are going to retirement? no way!  confused_o.gif

and with what U.K. will replace them? JSF?  huh.gif

Yeah, last FA2 will leave 801NAS of the RN Fleet Air Arm in March 2006. In the short term the Harrier GR7A and GR9 will replace them, after that the F-35.

Falklands HMS Hermes BETA (1968 version) was released 3 years ago if you want it, except the version in Rock's vid is the updated one which as he correctly pointed out will only be released with the mod.

http://www.flashpoint1982.co.uk/downloads.php

Guest RKSL-Rock
@ Feb. 01 2006,09:35)]

Falklands HMS Hermes BETA was released 3 years ago! wink_o.gif

http://www.flashpoint1982.co.uk/downloads.php

*cough* ...erm...time to own up...it wasnt the Public Beta Hermes I used Ash... i accidentally uploaded the Private VTOL Demo 2 instead of the new vid... sorry... confused_o.gif

will it be possible to use the thrust vectoring during combat?

Like when the plane is in a fast right turn, you use like 50 or 75 vectoring setting, to make the turn even faster?

Or like doing a short takeoff and then you go straight up into the air and use thrust vector to gain height fast..

The demo looks very nice! The yellow inside the wheel compartment looks nice aswell, it makes it look real somehow... I know its alpha, but it looks really well allready!

keep it up man, I cannot wait to see this baby in green! yay.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock
will it be possible to use the thrust vectoring during combat?

Like when the plane is in a fast right turn, you use like 50 or 75 vectoring setting, to make the turn even faster?

Or like doing a short takeoff and then you go straight up into the air and use thrust vector to gain height fast..

Yes and no…OFP’s setvelocity command is rather basic it only seems to deal with the Z axis relative to the world rather than the object.  Don’t understand what I mean?

Ok, no matter what angle you fly at it only goes up and down relative to the floor not the angle of the plane.  It’s an engine limit.  This means that you cant VIFF (Vector in Forward flight) and turn faster.  It’s currently setup so you can use the nozzles at any speed but it wont work as it should.

However I am going to add a VIFF command that will rapidly slow the plane at above a certain speed and partially simulate the VIFF effects.

The demo looks very nice! The yellow inside the wheel compartment looks nice aswell, it makes it look real somehow...  I know its alpha, but it looks really well allready!

keep it up man, I cannot wait to see this baby in green!  yay.gif

Its only a place holder – the proper wheel bays will be dirty white as they are in reality.

Have you tried landing it on a carrier the way they do with the seaharriers? and sometimes also gr-7's, 9's, T's, etc...

Is it possible to do it as slowly and controlled as they would do it in real life? That would be lots of fun! Also because im planning to do some landings in forests. And tight spots.

This is going to be a great addon! yay.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock
Have you tried landing it on a carrier the way they do with the seaharriers? and sometimes also gr-7's, 9's, T's, etc...

Is it possible to do it as slowly and controlled as they would do it in real life? That would be lots of fun! Also because im planning to do some landings in forests. And tight spots.

This is going to be a great addon!  yay.gif

Yes, very easily. it just takes a bit of practice.

Guest RKSL-Rock
This is gonna be fantastic, really cant wait. Does AI handle the lift?

We havent added the AI support yet but the current scripts shouldnt be a problem at all.

That video of the harrier is amazing! Truly one of the best feats I have seen in OFP. notworthy.gifnotworthy.gif

With such great scripting there is hope for a V-22 in the future isnt there? whistle.gif

Any plans of RKSL Studios making one?

Guest RKSL-Rock
With such great scripting there is hope for a V-22 in the future isnt there?  whistle.gif

Any plans of RKSL Studios making one?

smile_o.gif I had thought about it but i just have too much workload already...

...although from a technical point of view, yes its doable now but the main problem is turning the Rotors the OFP engine doesnt allow you to do compound animations, so you cant show the rotors moving.

So the answer is: ... its not very likely we'll make one.

What do you mean? The rotors spinning themselves? Or the shaft moving up and down?

Cause on your awesome harrier the nozzles were moving werent they?

If you are talking about the rotors spinning you could just make them blurry and transparant looking so they look as if they are spinning. I wouldnt mind, and I think most of ofp users wouldnt either if it meant getting our grubby little hands on a working Osprey.

I was just thinking, would a ramp on a carrier deck also make a difference in ofp? whistle.gif Just a though..?

Its going to be great using harriers in ofp, because most of the maps are islands. thumbs-up.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock
What do you mean? The rotors spinning themselves? Or the shaft moving up and down?

Cause on your awesome harrier the nozzles were moving werent they?

If you are talking about the rotors spinning you could just make them blurry and transparant looking so they look as if they are spinning. I wouldnt mind, and I think most of ofp users wouldnt either if it meant getting our grubby little hands on a working Osprey.

Yes I'm talking about the rotors turning as they spin.  There maybe a way to do it but it would be ugly as hell.  Also with ArmA due in 4/5 months there's not much point.  It already has a V-22 and F-35 which would suggest that VTOL is hardcoded into the game engine, which means our new VTOL scripts might well be obsolete very soon.  Faced with the number of unfinished projects we have adding another might not be the best idea wink_o.gif

I was just thinking, would a ramp on a carrier deck also make a difference in ofp?  whistle.gif Just a though..?

Its going to be great using harriers in ofp, because most of the maps are islands.  thumbs-up.gif

Yes it does in conjunction with the 'right' nozzles settings.  I've already Tested it using the FLK Carriers, HMS Hermes and Invincible.

Are you sure theyre for arma. as far as i can tell theyre only for next gen. as the pc gamer article had them for next gen.

Guest RKSL-Rock
Are you sure theyre for arma. as far as i can tell theyre only for next gen. as the pc gamer article had them for next gen.

I may be wrong but there was the PC Gamer article a while ago and the new commands in the OFP:E engine that seem to imply that BIS have coded support for VTOL in the new engine.

I’ll probably get in trouble for spamming my own thread but I thought I’d add some questions and answers from a discussion I had this morning on IRC.

RE Harrier handling:

Q - Will you be able to rotate/pivot on the spot while hovering?

A - Up until a few days ago I would have no.  But thanks to Karrillion and UNN that’s changed.  It looks like I will be possible to rotate and side step properly.

Q - I watched the video and all the controls are on the action menu, are you going to leave it like that?

A - Hopefully not, again thanks to UNN we’re looking at mapping the nozzle control to the keyboard.  This will remove a lot of mess from the action menu.

Q - On the video you have lots of vehicle chat messages, why?

A - They are there for testing purposes; they mark the start and end of the scripts.  In the release they won’t be there.  Inside the cockpit on the upper right hand is an indicator dial, together with the water cooling gauges etc.  These remove the need for any vehicle messages.

Q - So is this going to be realistic, the real harrier can only hover for short periods.  Are you going to script that?

A - The plan is to limit the VTOL as it is in the real world.  This means that you won’t be able to take off vertically with a full fuel and weapons load.  Likewise you won’t be able to do a VTOL landing with a full load.  You will either need to burn off or dump fuel or jettison your stores to get under weight.  

Also the 2 minute Hover limit will be imposed.  For those that don’t know the Harrier uses water to cool its engine while in a hover.  The water tank is enough to last for 2 minutes; once the tank is empty you won’t be able to hover without causing damage to your engine.

Q - On the topic of hovering, are you going to add jet wash dust effects like the helicopters?

A - Already added.  They just need to be tailored to the way the nozzle system works.

Q - You said you would use only RAF Weapons, does this include brimstone and Storm Shadow?

A - Yes, they will be supported on the GR9 versions.

Q - What’s the point of a Storm Shadow missile? You cant get them to fire past 4km.

A - We’ve found a way to make standoff missiles possible. The tests we’ve done so far have been very promising.  Its very early days but it now seems possible to fire an air launched cruise missile or sea skimming missiles from any range and have it destroy a target how ever far away.  Obviously we will script in limitations to prevent it being abused and the ranges will be drastically reduced to suit OFP islands.

Once we have a working system and after the first Harrier GR7/9 release we’ll make a proof of concept demo so that people can adapt if for their own use.

Q - So once you have released the GR7 will you let other people use the scripts?

A - Providing that’s it OK with UNN and they actually ask then I can’t see why not.

Q - You’ve said several times that you wont be making a USMC version why not?

A - In a word Textures; the model changes are relatively minor between UK and USMC versions but the texture artwork is significant.  Since there are only 2 people on this project, UNN with the scripts and me with models and textures we just don’t have the time to do every possible version.  Maybe at a later date I will do a conversion.

Again that’s all for now.