Sign in to follow this  
NikoTak

Best nVidia drivers...

Hi all. smile_o.gif

I just wanted to share what I found to be a nice set of drivers for playing Operation Flashpoint. I found out that the "beta" 71.20 (made by nVidia, but not officially released) give me a nice boost in Ofp. The game looks much smoother to me, maybe not faster in term of framerate, but worth a try. Some other players have told me to notice that difference too. I even tested newer beta (like 71.81) but they don't give that "boost" feeling. I use a 6800GT based card, and I'm not sure about what would be the result for the older gfx card series (FX, GeForce,...). Use this at your own risks, I use them for several weeks now and have absolutely no problems with them, so don't blame me if it's your case.

You can find them here: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=931

wink_o.gif

Hi again.

So, did anyone else tried these drivers? If so, did you see a difference aswell?

I know, I know, I'm too curious... MDR06.gif

so no problems at all you say?

On NVIDIA site they don't say anything about it.

Is it confirmed that NVIDIA released it and not some crazy "wan't to dominate the world" hacker?

I wan't to be sure it's safe because i don't want to mess up my computer.

Well, I know what you mean. Personally, I run Norton Internet Security 2005: I had no problem related to the drivers (virus, attempt to connect to the net, or such things,...)

The drivers come from this site, wich I trust: http://www.guru3d.com

The original forum post: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthr....umber=1

If it's an hacker that made it, I need to find out who it is and say him a big "thank you!".

Seriously, just don't install them then... I don't want you to mess your installation.

Only driver I can use is the 56.72 driver...all newer drivers I've tried crashes OFP...

I have 61.77 for my Geforce 440MX it works ok , but ive heard some people who know a thing or two about GFX cards that older Nvidia drivers work (50.xx and so forth before 60.xx) well with older cards like the Ti series and older but new drivers work well with new cards.

I've got a GeForce FX 5200 and I can't use any newer driver than 56.72, if I use newer my computer restarts itself after some time in OFP...

I'm running that 71.xx driver right now, no problems in OFP and other games smile_o.gif for me, but you know, every PC is

different !!!! wink_o.gif

I've try this new driver 71.20 on my:

Pentium IV 2.8 , 800 FSB

512mb ram ( duall 2x128mb)

FX5900XT 128mb

Soundblaster Live Platinum

I don't really see any difference accept maybe in the colors.

More contrast in the colors.

Makes the mission run smoother, less lag. (less cpu power from the vgacard i guess, but not according to the vgacard's cpu temperature, that stays the same (around 44 ° C).

But these things I see can just be because I expect them to happen:)

Thx for the new driver maybe my problem in Rise of nations is solved.

Stonedge

I just rolled back my drivers for my Ti4600 from 66.93 to 56.64.

The game as a whole doesn't seem to run quite as smoothly as it did on 66.93 but turning water reflections on in DXDLL no longer hammers my fps down into single digits, they stay at a fairly comfortable 20 fps.

I'm not sure whether to go back up to 66.93 (or higher) for a slightly smoother game or stay as I am and enjoy reflective water. tounge_o.gif

I've got a GeForce FX 5200 and I can't use any newer driver than 56.72, if I use newer my computer restarts itself after some time in OFP...

i can with the same geforce, but with older version everything is blurry, and with newer my FPS drops with 10-20 tounge_o.gif

I tried this new driver, at first I was very enthousiastic. I got a framerate-boost of 5 to 20 frames above my normal rate which was very fine with my old P3 1ghz. But somehow after playing like 2 minutes on large maps like nogova, the game crashes and comes to a complete halt. At one moment I got a bleu screen saying 'fatal error' in nv4-dll or something like that and windows was shut down. So I backed up to 61.77 again which works fine for me. So my advice stay away untill officially released.

btw, I run a geforce fx5200

I've been running the 71.81b for a couple of weeks now. No difference in performance in OFP (because the CPU is my bottleneck). Works very nice with a noticeable FPS increase in newer games like FarCry, D3, LOMAC, Riddick and Act of War-demo. MSFS2004 also got an fps-increase from avg. 45 to 55.

Got one issue in OFP with them though. DXDLL water-reflection kills the performance from 75 down to 15. As soon as I enable post-processing the FPS goes back to 75 again.  wow_o.gif

But not such big a deal. I never use post-processing and I figured water-reflection eats too much cpu to enjoy the larger missions.

Seems that the "leaking polygons" I've experienced earlier with the 71.80 and down to 67.xx are gone now. Every now and then I could see a grey polygon "leaking" from a island object like a house or rock and completely block my view when looking in that direction.

btw Guru3d is a safe and reliable place to get your latest Forceware drivers.

If you have a FX-series or lower I doubt there is any point in upgrading over 66.93WHQL due to the newer drivers seems to concentrate of the 6xxx-series.