New universal dynamic grass script

OK I'll do all those things requested, it may be a week or two though

smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

How does this malden grass look:

Awesome man!

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

i agree, it is awesome man smile_o.gif

would it look nice on the other islands too?

I wan´t to be stoned .... "gimme some Grass" loooool

@djukel

Quote[/b] ]You should fix it youself if you find this error disturbing. I give you all instructions you need.

Hi ! djukel if it is not to heavy i will try it :-)

You can PM me or post the instructions here ... so if i understand it i will try to make other islands to ... will see

;-) blues.gif

You can PM me or post the instructions here ... so if i understand it i will try to make other islands to ... will see

MCPXXL,

The instuctions are at the beginning of this thread wink_o.gif

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

@djukel
Quote[/b] ]You should fix it youself if you find this error disturbing. I give you all instructions you need.

Hi ! djukel if it is not to heavy i will try it :-)

;-) blues.gif

To rebuild all grass positions for eastborder island would last 4-5 hours. To save you from this work here is my mission.sqs file containing appr. 800 flags (grass positions) for eastborder island (version 1.1). Load it and check which flag is too close (when distance is less than 200 meters) to rivers, or lakes and delete is or move it as you like.

grass_pos_for_FDF

And next ?

Do you transfer the position by hand ? or excel ? something else ?

thx

And next ?

Do you transfer the position by hand ? or excel ? something else ?

thx

When you repaired and saved mission.sqs file you should convert positions by ThruYerStErNuM's SQM2SQS program. Then copy new positions to "grass_pos_XXXXX.sqs" file.

Cool thing .... i don´t noticed the sqm2vpos.exe ...

The only thing was uwar_grass and gmr_grass in outputfile.

Think, after the weekend, i will post a fixed eastboarder_grass.

the River was clear in my first try.

MCPXXL blues.gif

@djukel

Quote[/b] ]If anybody interested to help me to convert all (default or addon) maps to one script I tell you what should have to do.

After i made the fix for eastboarder and understand it now :-)

I will make some other grass_positions.

@keycat

@ThruYerStErNuM

But whats about the Idea with different grasses on different Grounds ?

Because this should be clear before the start of work ...

Some pictures "from your HD" for all grasstypes that hit uwargrass will be fine

Dark Grass on other islands looks not so good biggrin_o.gif

MCPXXL

Kolgujev

kolgujev1t.jpg

kolgujev2t.jpg

Winter Nogojev

winter1t.jpg

winter2t.jpg

I've decided to remake the script to make a more substantial second release for everyone.

I will make one unified script that provides 4 options for grass placement:

-New 'abstract grass' objects placed in the mission editor will be seen by the script.

-Abstract grass objects placed by island maker that will be detected in game (you can't detect the terrain texture but you can detect objects by cycling through all possible IDs at the start of the mission)

And of course the two existing forms:

-Grass objects generated everywhere (first version)

-Grass object locations read from a premade array of locations (djukels method and still the most efficient)

When objects are detected, their positions are at once translated into a large array which is continually sorted, as performance allows, to allow the closest locations to be filled with grass. I could create a seperate multiplayer version, one which would use a master list of all grasses on the server end, with communication to specific clients about which grasses should be locally created and when, but that script may have to wait.

Also, I fixed the grass objects so that they no longer can be destroyed when a tank runs over them, now you dont need to worry about AI seeing through them innapropriately.

So I will take probably another week to finish this script but I also do want help making the grass configurations for all the most popular islands to have ready with the new release.

PM me if you want to help out this week. I will send you the new objects and specific instructions on how to do it with the new system. So lets come up with a complete list of all the most popular islands that we want grass configurations for so I can assign islands.

I decided to expand the script this much because I realized how easily such a system could be applied to a fully dynamic environment script. I may have an example island available with the full unscripted war release that demonstrates how abstract towns, fields, bases, etc. can used to dynamically generate objects on a barren island to better suit the gameplay.

Looks and sounds awesome ThruYerStErNuM!

Personally I've been quite busy in RL so I haven't finished the "grass_pos_XXXXX.sqs" for Avignon but will as soon as I get some free time.

Keep up the great work!

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

Think i will make grasspos for Phoenix Island ...

I am very much interested in this project for an island we are working on. What is needed to incorporate this into our island? Do we require others to install this script into their missions? or can it be used as a standalone island object?

What is to do next ThruYerStErNuM! ?

Meanwhile "make grasspos on other islands" or wait for your new scripts ?

ghostface.gif

Emmi

aka MCPXXL

Looking really great Thru. Great to hear you're still very active on the UWar front too.

BIS - hire this guy! biggrin_o.gif

Cheers,

CH

Sunday I'll have an update, at which time I'll give the new instructions for placing grass positions. You can have variable sizes and densities of grass patches now, and multiple grass types on any island in different positions.

School can be annoying, would somone optimize  this compiler for me it would be a big help biggrin_o.gif

Looking forward to try your new grass ThruYerStErNuM. Your work is much appreciated!

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

Hope you don't mind me experimenting! It works with I44 grasses too, I reduced the number of grass objects to 50 in the init.sqs and set the radius to 100 in the build grass_sqs

i44grass_test1.jpg

i44grass_test2.jpg

i44grass_test3.jpg

You can see it still stays well clear of the towns with these settings and you get some nice variation in grass spread. I've used the walls from the i44 grasses .pbo too (in the second picture) but not the corn as that looks too random. I'll post the mission folder if the people involved with this are OK with me doing this.

I'm not claiming any credit AT ALL for any of this, i'm just monkeying around with stuff other ppl have worked hard on.

Once again apologies if this is infringing on the work people have done, i'll take it all down and say sorry if this offends anyone!

Back from Work and waiting for the GREAT Thing i hope (As you say this Weekend) ? tounge_o.gif