Sign in to follow this  
djukel

New universal dynamic grass script

hi,

Ok I made an interpretation (read the topic to understand what's interpretation) on a little part of Kodiak and I wanted to share my opinion.

First impression it is very nice looking and totaly change ofp visual. Pics are better than long explaination so here it is:

Without grass

mini_252054grasstest1.jpg

mini_235497grasstest2.jpg

With grass

mini_147279grasstest3.jpg

mini_388912grasstest4.jpg

As you can see on pics the fps is divided by 2 or 3 depending in the place you are. But it was playable on the test I made with 18 AIs on the map. Unfortunetly I guess it will be unplayable if you decide to make a big scripted mission with grass but I may be wrong since I didn't tested in depth.

There's horrible spawn lags when you enter a new zone covered by the grass. Even if you place the grass models somewhere on the map to have it allready loaded to avoid spawn lag it doesn't work and the spawn lags still here.

The most anoying problem IMHO is the AI reaction when there's grass. Certain models of tall grass has been made to block AI view and it becomes a serious problem to make them engage player. I was at 50-60m of them and they didn't react at all, when I started to kill them they just crawled without any goal. That was a bit better with ww4 AI who tried to supess on my last known positon, it can be funny on some scenario. Moreover, I think there's too much objects and AI never stop to slalom between the grass and finally prefer to follow the nearest road they find. This slalom is very CPU intensive and ressources who could be allocated to spot enemies and make smart movment are allocated to make the AI find their path between all those objects. They become zombies with gun.

Too bad this addon has never been optimized/finished because the visual is amazing but the performance issue and AI reaction make it only usefull for screenshots and video.

cya.

Nikiller.

Edited by Nikiller