Sign in to follow this  
Billabong81

Good FREE Games

Don't forget StarFight IV Gatekeepers, available through www.the-underdogs.org  The same site listed a few replies earlier.

It's a great space adventure 2D game that is free, and the soundtrack is awesome for this little known game.  Unfortunately, I would not try to play it if you have an AMD rocessor.  It refuses to play and the screen craps up badly when it runs.

Be prepared for a long download time, it's over 200 megs.

I prefer Starfight 6ses mix of adventure and privateer like space adventure myself. smile_o.gif

It's a finnish freeware game so mods keep your pants on. tounge_o.gif

I prefered the Death Head warheads, nasty little buggers that vaped moronic AI opponents quickly.  Oh yeah, I still have the Dos version of Scorched Earth around.  Too bad it refuses to run properly on my current pc.

Nuke em all Baby!!

Too bad it refuses to run properly on my current pc.

Then try Dosbox!

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1

I found scorched on one of these shareware CDROMs. Man, a CDROM! six times the storage size of my HDD (back then in old DOS days)... biggrin_o.gif

There was a scorched earth clone in MS-DOS 5, too. Could be found in the Dos directory and was named gorilla.bas iirc. Two King Kongs stand on top of a skyscraper landscape and throw deadly bananas at each other...

Yeah, I already got the QBasic source of Gorilla War on my very old comp still at home. I'm soon going to retire my two very old PC's I've kept during next month to make room.

YS Flight Sim: YS Flight 2000 [FTP Server]

YS Flight 2000 [HTTP Server]

YS Flight is a nice little flight sim that's pretty basic, but it's worth a try.  The graphics aren't very good, but that's almost the best part of it.  The smoke trails are just white blobs and it's got a really cartoony look to it.  

The main site for YS Flight is here and that's also where the two downloads are from.

Cannonsmash: Cannonsmash Version 0.6.6

Cannonsmash is the best table tennis (or ping-pong) simulator in my opinion.  It takes a while to learn, but once you get used to it it's a great way to kill some extra time.

SkiFree: SkiFree

SkiFree was the first game I ever played on my Windows 98 computer.  It's a nice little game and I'm sure most of you have played it because I think it came bundled with Windows 98.

SkiFree was the first game I ever played on my Windows 98 computer.  It's a nice little game and I'm sure most of you have played it because I think it came bundled with Windows 98.

Wow...I remember that one...I used to play that when I was like 7-9 years old...the memories wink_o.gif.

Soldat - 2d online shooter

Been playing with that for a while - great way to get out your agression! Thanks for the link! biggrin_o.gif

Ahh the memories. You just made my day biggrin_o.gif

Does anyone remember "Microsoft Bob" with that dog that showed you stuff?  You'd go to the door of this house and logged in.  Once you went in you traveled around the house and learned about windows.  It was a cool program, I wonder if it's still around.  Those are my two best memories about Windows, SkiFree and Bob  smile_o.gif

So far I've found  this link that has some information about Bob.  Anybody know if the program is still around anywhere?

Soldat - 2d online shooter

i was just about to say "soldat" that game was pretty cool, you can play online. its kinda like the old "worms" games, but with more counter-strike type/real world weapons....good stuff