Sign in to follow this  
jbag5000

3dmax to o2 with textures??

Is there a way to convert a 3d max file that has been textured into O2 while retaining its textures? when impoting a .3ds file into O2, there is an option at the bottom of the window that says conver textures. Has anybody ever done this?

Im confused that you say it was made in 3ds but textured in O2 but yes.

It imports 3ds models and textures

bratty i got the same doubt bag has... and it would be great if u can tell us how to do that...

i got many good looking models with textures in 3ds, but i never suceed in importing them WITH textures to o2...

which steps u gota do in max to converte with sucess? none?

when u import in o2 there's an option for textures...what we do there?...

another thing i got in mind... most of my 3ds files have jpg textures. as we all know o2 cant deal with jpg...so there's maybe 1 reason for textures failure to import to o2.

and besides that, my jpg files are always in weird dimensions. they dont obey the 8 multiple rule. i mean instead of being 1024*512 i have textures with 1024*100 and all non standard sizes...is this irelevant??

i hope u can make me clear on this, because i saw few threads asking this question, but none has the right answer...

Sorry I don't remember much.Other people would know better than me.I only messed with it a few times.I did import a model and the textures,had the textures in same dir or specific I don't recall.The addon imported with textures applied.

Make sure you use the import feature rather than just clicking or opening a .3ds file.

i can convert few models for you guys, i cant explayn exactly how im doing this becouse of my not prefect english ;-) but if you will contact me on msn i can convert whatever 3ds file with textures you want and maybe at least try to explayn the process ...

Hi,

I don't know if the problem is still open, but...

The 3ds file and all it textures goes in one directory. The 3ds file is imported to O2. If O2 refuses the 3ds file because of missing KF-Data, download amin8tor for free, this program can create a dummy kf-data. Force converting texturers while using the original name. now O2 produce a list of correct and failed convertions of textures. Failed convertions violate the n2 rule of the picture size, but the name is already granted in O2. So you have now to rescale all failed pictures and then load them again into O2. ready...

thanks for the tips Shinkansen. offtime sent me a couple of days ago a great tool called deep exploration, that can browse/convert ANY kind of 3d file that i know. basicly like u say the trick is to resize textures acording to o2 rules, and remove all the materials in the bump channels, or any other then not difuse map.and no sub-materials can be used. u gota have 1 selection for each material.( whoever uses a 3dsoftware knows what sub-materials are).

i have something like 40 or 50 great (military)3ds files,texturized... they are all free to use, so i'm still deciding wich 1 should i pick for my next addon...

my interest in using 3dmax for ofp purposes regards the texturizing work..in o2 i cant use use a simple cyllindric uvw map (just the dam plane uvw) , so with max, i can have much better textures.

another thing i want to say here, that goes out of this thread.... 2 days ago, i found a great website with hundreds of textures from a game(half-life i think), many plants/trees texturesα channels, and a nice collection of sound files.

i will post the link here , so if u guys interested check it out at redpixel

its a brazilian link so i'll translate the names for u

-efeitos sonoros -sound files

-1507 texturas half-life - textures

-texturas de folhas - plants textures

-aros de carro para referencia- car rims (weels)

Ok im so sorry about bringing this back to life but i realy need to find a way to use 3dsmax for skinig becuse of the way o2 works i want to use a UVW for our mod so i can try to make some insane textures but with o2 i cannot so if anyone has found out can you tell me here or msnm or pm me huh.gif

importin 3ds with textures to oxygen is pretty easy

first be sure the textures are either tga or jpeg

and are in the power of 2 (1024*512 etc)

then the 3ds file must be textured of course ( :P )

then just sace the 3ds file anywhere

i suggest in your addons folder inside oxygen

pop up oxygen and click edit>import>3dstudio

dont worry about the stuff it says

just hit ok

no you have the mesh in oxygen

now textures might not be applied on it

just select the faces that use a certain texture and browse the path to its root folder (addon subfolder in oxygen folder)

by pressing E and choosing the path in hte lil window

hit ok

now the texture should be applied.

another thing that might happen is that

the 3ds file causes a "Missing KFDATA section" bug.

im not sure if you can fix this in max as i dont have it

but theres anotherway.

Download anim8or. its free and good for conversion..

open it

load the 3ds file into anim8or by object>import

onice its in the view click on debug>kfdata section

this will add a kfdata section to the 3ds file.

export it as 3ds.

now you can import it into oxygen.

another advise:

3ds format uses triangle meshes only.

oxygen supports quads and tris.

so to save faces click in oxygen

structure>optimize

this will take sometime depending on the model

dotn worry oxy doesnt crash smile_o.gif

now again structure>triangulate

done smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]3ds format uses triangle meshes only.

oxygen supports quads and tris.

so to save faces click in oxygen

structure>optimize

this will take sometime depending on the model

dotn worry oxy doesnt crash smile_o.gif

now again structure>triangulate

a 3ds file (not a max scene) uses editable mesh , like u say. o2 uses quads(polys), not triangles. so usually after i open the 3ds file i do squarize and the mesh cuts down to almost half.

and dont forget to sharpen edges, or it will look like a weird mesh.

So can you import the mesh with full UVW unwrapping intact, or just planar mapped textures?

i was wondering how to do a uvw in o2 see i want this

ca27240e.jpg

a1fe7dcb.jpg

see it applys good in 3dsmax8 but not in o2, i get this in o2

7cd9dc75.jpg

i want jest 1 texture for the whole thing so i can make it jest one uvw

or problem is the tga itself

be sure it has the iszes of 2

like 1024*512 or 256*256

unregular numbers like 1599 cant be converted

uvw are imported to oxygen with 3ds import