Sign in to follow this  
Triglav

US Civil War Mod ver.1.0 Beta Released

I'm looking very forward to the new CW release, this mod and online play with standard BIS stuff is all I use OFP for these days.

I hope you folks arent planning to toy with the ballistics TOO much in the next release - there seems to be a common misconception that civil war rifles were inaccurate at even medium ranges, and I hope this game doesnt reflect that.  Muskets, yes - these are smoothbore weapons and fire an inaccurate ball at close ranges (but at my last check, there are no muskets in the game).  Rifles - quite a different story, very accurate, quite good out to several hundred meters if the person firing it was capable.  I think that the bayonet is already 'pumped up' a lot in the current release.  Any student of the Civil War would be fully aware of the fact that bayonet charges were a rarity because the rifles were far too efficient to allow for close combat in most cases.  I'd just hate to see it turn in to a "fire one volley and cross bayonets" kind of thing, that would be a slap in realism's face (if you're trying for realism, that is).

Two of my great interests are firearms, and of course, the Civil War, so I'm kind of picky on both counts  wink_o.gif .  I've been turning out half-assed missions for my own use based on real battles, but my inability to make breifings sure hurts things.  If I could figure out breifings, I'd be glad to submit to you what I have made at some point.  One thing I found kind of disappointing is that OFP just isnt much for large scale battles - and most Civil War fights you'll find movement details on that could be equated to OFP's editor are large scale.  However, I was reading through one of my books of Ambrose Bierce's short stories, and most of his works describe small unit battles, company at most, individuals and squads more often.  A copy of Ambrose Bierce's Civil War stories can be had for only a couple of dollars, and would make a great aid to anyone trying to make accurate Civil War missions for small scale fighting.

Regardless, this mod is still my favorite and I look forward to playing your new release!

as a person who is predominantly a mission maker, the BIGGEST problem i find is getting voice's for missions, they are an essential part, but if you have a source where you get them from they dont last for ever, e.g. another game. So you end up reusing sounds which gets annoying. sad_o.gif . And if you get someone to do some for you they do normally sound pretty bad sad_o.gif .

Quote[/b] ]Alright, let me correct myself: the PLAYER does not have to reload between each shot

I don't get the point, cause the player does reload after each shots and plays the reload anim...

Quote[/b] ]I was just suggesting that in terms of game mechanics, it might be best to make each shot be an individual magazine

That's what it is...(~60 magazines of 1 bullet).

Quote[/b] ]then you would need to configure two different weapons for each rifle: one with bayonet (model and melee 'muzzle'), and one without.

Yep. But only for bayonet weapons (ie musket, enfield or lorenz), the others are given a melee muzzle.

Quote[/b] ]If you wanted to be able to fix/remove bayonets (it wouldn't really be needed, but if you wanted it for the effect), you could have a script that plays the appropriate anim, then removes the units weapon and replaces it with the bayonetted one.

Done.

@ Gavin : VERY nice vid ! Can't wait for the release.

Hm, when playing online we get an error message when the briefing is loading saying "missing addons: enfield" or something. And then in-game none of the rifles have any ammunition. What are we doing wrong?

It seems to work as long as we aren't squad leaders.

Is there any good missions for the Civil War Mod?

I only found one.

But it was only up for 30 days!

Sincerely, MilitiaSniper

unclesam.gifunclesam.gifunclesam.gifunclesam.gif

as far as i know here are 12 missions i have found for the Civil War MOD DOWNLOAD HERElet me know if there are anymore that i don't have and i am trying to make missions for the Chattanooga Campaign Island for each mission i make i will have 2 pairs one for each side and its my first time even trying to make missions so they may not be good.

Actually, I'm working on a small campaign about the battle of Gettysburg. Unfortunately I'm not a good mission maker, so don't cry, or I won't even try. A pretty good rhyme isn't it?

I'm downloading the mission pack just to see if "Sharper's Eve" is inside. If it ain't, I'll eat your head tsalagikola (man, interesting how hard it can be to write that. Maybe because i drank too much mead.) tounge_o.gif

Note: The campaign might me released tonight, in a week, next year or never. I'm soo freaking lazy and I need to get the right atmosphere to be able to make more complicated missions than 5-minute "Go there and kill all yankees" battles.

EDIT: Warrgh, get your head here tsalagikola! Nahh, here's the Sharper's Eve unlimited massproduct edition. Not many have the original version, but the massproduct version is downloadable at Rapidshare.de we all love so much.

Quote[/b] ]EDIT: Warrgh, get your head here tsalagikola! Nahh, here's the Sharper's Eve unlimited massproduct edition. Not many have the original version, but the massproduct version is downloadable at Rapidshare.de we all love so much.

tounge_o.gif  tounge_o.gif  tounge_o.gif This guy is crazy, the readme file makes it worth downloading !  biggrin_o.gif

News: The next civil war mod beta will be released in a few days, the reason i am posting this is because Gavin has got a new computer and is upgradiong it presently smile_o.gif

This is propably not going to fit in the next release, but anyways: I took a look at the model of the Whitworth, and I noticed that it does have iron sights. So how about a version without a scope? Not that there would be anything wrong with the scope, but I need a good rifle to use when i'm just a grunt and IMO the Whitworth looks and especially sounds better than the Enfield.

Prof, I suppose you haven't downloaded Cessena Fun then? wink_o.gif

well i got it now does that count LOL now i have 15 missions when it gets done i will post on this spot    .DOWNLOAD HERE i cleaned it up and it has sharpers eve too and my wife said please don't hurt me too much

Yup, just to confirm, my computers all getting changed at the mo lol, so ive had to postpone the release of a wee test beta for a few days smile_o.gif but it wont be long till ya's can test it out.

Old missions will be compatable i think, because the new units will possibly overwrite the old... (that seems a shame but these are the sequals so...)

About the whitworth, well yup i could include a version without sights etc, but bear in mind um dynamite cow, the weapons are all updated, check the screen guns.jpg rock.gif

They all look quite different now smile_o.gif

Well, as long as they look like their real counterparts, I'm happy.

Hmm I noticed that at least for me, Sharper's Eve doesn't have ammo in the Whitworth? Maybe the classnames were changed in 1.0->1.1? I might update it, though the easiest way is to simply give some well earned rest to one of your guards.

And there's the hard way too of course, sneak up to a yankee and give him some taste of southern wood.

Maybe you can ask Philcommando, to use his horse.

So we can have calvary.

He already has riders that can shoot on them.

But I can't remove the rider in it!

Sincerely, MilitiaSniper

Yup we already have cavalry that will shoot etc in development, but they wont be ready in time for the next beta, and bear in mind lol, this 'beta' is more of a alpha really, (it may be renamed so)

Its just our intention to keep u guys up to date with playable inteam versions of our test betas, so u's dont have to wait while we spend longer development times to try out our work. Its not how i personally used to work, but given the consideration of this unique cwmod mini community (i.e. u dedicated bunch) i think its better to just share our team betas too, be aware tho, help with testing is appreciated blah blah. Anyway coming soon smile_o.gif

Can I make a suggestion?

I forget how to make units kneel.

Maybe we can have some troops that are already kneeling?

And stay in that postion?

Sincerely, MilitiaSniper

Can I make a suggestion?

Sincerely, MilitiaSniper

And how will they move wink_o.gifcrazy_o.gif

kgb-cccp @ April 30 2005,09:04)]
Can I make a suggestion?

Sincerely, MilitiaSniper

unclesam.gif  unclesam.gif  unclesam.gif  unclesam.gif

And how will they move  wink_o.gif  crazy_o.gif

They don't.

They stay in that postion and shoot!

Sincerely, MilitiaSniper

cant you put in the init field

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">this switchmove "crouch"; this setunitpos "up"; this setcombatmode "Red"

works for me  wink_o.gif

ammo in the Whitworth? Maybe the classnames were changed in 1.0->1.1?

I seem to remember we made an error there in 1.1.

Withworth ammo is called Minie, even though this ammo should only be for Enfield, Springfield and Lorenz, whereas Withworth had its own...

batdog the mission you did a while back could you send it to me so i can put it in the missions pack

As you know, when CW units are wounded, they never lie down and if you put a surgeon tent, they will run to it to be healed, even if they are hit at legs or body. It's far from being realistic. A real battlefield is full of wounded guys screaming on the ground, waiting for medics.

Through an eventhandler "dammaged", it's possible to launch a NON LAGGY script which :

- tests if the unit is, for example, hit at the legs or body ;

- if so, launch an anim for the unit (as the unit plays an anim, it cannot move or fire until healed);

- and makes the units scream or shout for a medic, until the guy is healed by someone.

The only thing to do to launch the script on every units of the battle field is to set a big trigger and write in its on activation line : "_x addeventhandler [{dammaged},{_this exec {wounded.sqs}}]" foreach thislist

The script is at the moment working very well, after a while the battlefield is full of wounded screaming.

The anims I used for the wounded guys are Wilco's anims ("Wilco's All In One Static Animations Pack", excellent). But in fact i'd like to use NON STATIC anims of wounded guys on the ground. Does someone know about such anims existing ? And about nice screams ? (i use ofp ones, variants of "medic", or "help", but i'd like wounded hollers).

With this and the new melee possibility, you will see soldiers hitting woundeds on the ground with their gun or bayonet, such as "no prisoners, kill them all" !!!. Bloody, but nice ! tounge_o.gif

Hmm why not put the realism into the extreme then?

In real, if you were hit to a limb and happened to survive long enough to get help, practically you had lost the limb.

C'mon, wouldn't it be cool to crawl around with one leg then? That would give a good impression what the war was, people lying around half dead and screaming. Reminds me of the guy in Ryan who was lying on the ground with his organs on the ground and screaming mama...

Well, a good impression is given with a trigger that plays random screaming everywhere. Maybe a new ambient voice for the next release?

EDIT: Prof, I think you mentioned cavalry charges with swords in the "1800's addons" thread in A&M:D, but I'll post here as it's about the mod anyways... Will it have animations too? Great that one such will be coming, though I DID have some fun riding over yankees with the PC Horse. They actually were damaged, and so was I when that Napoleon shot me... Luckily, my horse was left to tell the story. Damn accurate cannoneer, me says.