Sign in to follow this  
Brentk

GAMESPY or ALL SEEING EYE or...

im just curious as to what everyone uses to play ofp, i know most use GS but curious as to what goes on beside gamespy... Im a GS sorta guy myself.. stupid verizon ads...

I use kind of both (should be an option to vote that).

When I want to see if clan friends are on, or just play a small game of maybe 3vs3 or 4vs4 I choose GS. If I just simply want to play, I use ASE and find a nice server with some 10 ppl on. Mostly use ASE, since I often start GS to find its 1 game open with maybe 2 ppl (on my mornings there are about 70-100 playing, compared to the 500-600 when US awakes). And that game often say "1.4 CTF GERMANS ONLY" or "German game" or "1.4 Grenzstation". You get my point.

So: 70% ASE, 30% GS. So I voted for ASE.

there are 2 flavors of gamespy which work for OFP...one is Gamespy Arcade (the one with all the ads and junk) which I dont like very much....and one called Gamespy3d (which is geared more to dedicated servers www.gamespy3d.com ) which is much better.

I used to use gamespy, but it just kept getting more and more bloated with crap.

All Seeing Eye is a much much better program, it refreshes the lists much quicker and the buddy tracker works really well aswell.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RN Malboeuf @ Jan. 13 2002,07:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">what is game spy?  confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

http://www.gamespyarcade.com/features/

Gamespy eats like 6megs of SDRAM.

All Seeing Eye is resource-friendly.

But Gamespy finds more servers. And better ones. All Seeing Eye seems to be pretty strict when it comes to what servers it allows through... Before filters.

I chose All Seeing Eye.

wow im pretty surprised at how many people use ASE, i like gamespy's main chat room feature, good for meeting people and all that good stuff, although i seem to get banned a lot, 10 times to be exact mad.gif

I tend to use both ,  Gamespy if I want to host my own game and test a map I've made. But if I want a FAST game with lots of player I go with the eye.

I voted for LAN, as it works the best for OFP. When using GaySpy al of the times every game is already running, so i have to wait until enough people join my game. This takes a long time and sucks. When using my LAN, I invite some friends over and we have 8 PC’s. I rather had 16 players, but my hub supports only 8 PC’s so I don’t have a choice. And everybody can join at the same time and we have lots of fun playing OFP at that time. But it cannot happen always as it is very shitty moving PC’s from one location to another and that 5 times. We already have 3 PC’s at home, but OFP with three isn’t that fun. Of course we do that sometimes when we don’t have a choice.

Gorgi

I used gamespy when I was a newb, but then switched over to ASE. I've found ASE to be a much more efficient tool for finding OFP games on the net (I like the filtering ability), and less of a resource hog. I would like to see a chatroom feature added to ASE though.

Ya

although GSA does have filters if you understand it's crap format

wait a sec....

what am I talking about, what is Game spy

There's already chat functionality provided by channels. Hower it's just a basic ability to open a channel which other ASE users can join (if they know it's name). No channel list is given.

Can you also, like GameSpy, download a version where you don't have to pay for? Because paying for playing sucks. I buy the games, so i don't want to pay a fee to play it.

Gorgi

Regarding the poll...isnt IP and ASE about the same? ASE is just a way to find IP games with the added ability to find dedicated servers as well

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Gorgi Knootewoot @ Jan. 16 2002,08:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Can you also, like GameSpy, download a version where you don't have to pay for? Because paying for playing sucks. I buy the games, so i don't want to pay a fee to play it.

Gorgi<span id='postcolor'>

Gorgi, ASE is shareware. You may evaluate it at http://www.udpssoft.com/eye. Updates are provided free via an internal update mechanism for both Executable and Filters.

Iljurin, the difference is you're able to browse for servers which you're not with the internal game functionality.

there are a few issues that ase doesnt cover (yet) :

- pw games are not always filtered

- in gamespy you got the option to ask host for pw

- no rooms

- one cannot always identify game type, in gs you can enter room and ask (and you dont have to start ofp to get an answer)

- imo there more active games on gs

i must admit i only had a few tries on ase, so i may still be wrong with the above.

of course gs also has its disadvantages, but all in all i think gs is not as bad as everybody thinks, except for the ad-spamming :\

isnt there is a tool for this somewhere wink.gif

i started out with gamespy, switched over to ase as soon as i found out about it, haven't looked back since.