Sign in to follow this  
DracoPaladore

Rememberance Day

The eleventh hour, of the eleventh day, of the eleventh month signifies the end of one of the most horrific wars in the world.

But, now, it signifies a day of Rememberance. While something that only lasts a day, it is something we should do every day. It should not be to remember one, but all wars.

Australian, Canadian,American, Italian, French, British, New Zealander, German, Finnish, Swedish,Russian, Iraqi, Bosnian, Chechnyan....

Just a few of the many countries that contributed and fought for what they beleived, something that every man and woman should be proud of.

This day should not be to remember just your countries sacrifice to the world, but every countries contributions and efforts.

Remember in ways that would make veterens proud, not angry. Watching Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, Bridge Too Far, The Longest Day, Tour of Duty, Devil Brigade, or any movie is just a waste of a day. Go to a memorial, see a sight, or at least watch a *documentry* and not a *hollywoodmentry*. Stay away from Hollywood made movies and watch ones that deal wit hthe people, action, and place, not just the action.

Remember the man who was shot, drowning in his own blood. Or the man who had lost his limb to a vicious artillery bombardment. Remember the woman and children who had to sit at home, helpless, and had to wait for the letter or official to tell them that their brothers, fathers, and family are never to come home again. Imagine that your own family had vanished, never able to see them again. The time, the history, their memories, their past, the way they lived their life all a waste from a single bullet.

Remember the man who was shot in the back, never to walk again but live to see his world continue in a downward spiral into a deeper hell. Remember the man who was caught in a hell fire, burning alive in his own clothing as the confined steel world around him vanished. Remember those who plummeted from the sky like falling angels, smart men who had trained long days and nights to defy the laws of nature and fly. Men who had reached up and dared to touch the sky. Remember those who had patrolled the open, vicious oceans to protect convoys and supplies to reach their much needed destination, drowning after their glorious boats had been destroyed.

Remember not just your friends and your countryment, your patriots, but also the enemy, who had in his own way suffered and faught for what he beleived. Do not shout slogans of hate and defiance, but love and care for those who had suffered.

Think not of war on a grand scale, but on a minute one. Think of the single individual, daring to run through the curtains of steel, the flowers of flame, the lakes of blood, to fight for what he beleives in. Think of his reasons, think of his past, think of his family as he charges forth into history. If he dies, remember that he is just not a single sprite, a pixel, a 3d dimensional virtual illusion, but a living, breathing, human being. Remember that he once had a family, a brother, a mother, a sister, a father, a wife, a daughter, a son. Uncles, grand parents. Think of his past, his history, and of his sacrifice that he made for those he loved and cared.

Do not scoff at the sacrifice of other men and woman from various parts of the world, do not belittle their contribute to the baptism of fire our world had lived through. Do not claim that you were the singular purpose for victory, or the singular purpose for defeat. Do not think of victory, or defeat, but of sacrifice. The key word, sacrifice.

If you had not yet done your two moments of silence, do so now. If you do not, then embody yourself as one of these soldiers. Men and woman, even children, who did not know whether or not they would live in the next few moments. As if a shell was just mere seconds away as you stared at the grave of a friend, a comrade, or a brother.

At the very least give a moment, something. Something to respect these peoples horrible nightmares, their horrible sufferings, the trajedies they had to endure.

Remember the battles, remember them well. Remember the smalls ones, the big ones, or the unsung battles. Remember the travesties, the massacres, but also remember the sacrifice, the bravery. Courage. Not just D-Day, Dunkirk, but also Auhtie, Hurtgen Forest, and many other places. The secret danger the hid behind every corner, turn, or advance.

Remember those who told, promised, to their loved ones, that they will come home.

Remember those that did not.

Try to find a song of Tap.

-------------

IN FLANDERS FIELDS the poppies blow

Between the crosses row on row,

That mark our place; and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved and were loved, and now we lie

In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die

----------

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders fields.

----------

Per Ardua Ad Astra ("Through adversity to the Stars")

----------

Wilfred Owen

Dulce Et Decorum Est

Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,

Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,

Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs

And towards our distant rest began to trudge.

Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots

But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind;

Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots

Of disappointed shells that dropped behind.

GAS! Gas! Quick, boys!-- An ecstasy of fumbling,

Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time;

But someone still was yelling out and stumbling

And floundering like a man in fire or lime.--

Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light

As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.

In all my dreams, before my helpless sight,

He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.

If in some smothering dreams you too could pace

Behind the wagon that we flung him in,

And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,

His hanging face, like a devil's sick of sin;

If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood

Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,

Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud

Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,--

My friend, you would not tell with such high zest

To children ardent for some desperate glory,

The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est

Pro patria mori.

----

"Though the darkness be rent by noise and flame, Let not mens souls be broken in the crucible of war."

-----

Please, I hope you post with respect and graditude. No arguments, debating. Of all days, I expect this as the one where everyone can at least talk together without bickering.

Brothers, fathers, friends, comrades, uncles, cousins...

They were our heroes.

They were our family.

They are gone.

This is typical: Usually charities and the like come after you with a vengence looking for donations....but, the last two days I have been looking for a poppy seller, because i want to make my contribution. Why is it when you go out LOOKING for someone to donate to, you can never find anyone. rock.gif

Thus I am still without a poppy.....

FOR GODS SAKE COME AND HARASS ME TO BUY ONE! I WANT A POPPY! crazy_o.gif

smile_o.gif

I think i will just make a direct donation to the British Legion. Its something i feel everyone ought to do, to recognise the great contributions our soldiers have made over the years.

Rememberance day was yesterday down here.

I always try to purchase a poppy as a sign of respect. Usually picking mine up from a major railway station.

Lest we forget.

I haven't read very much on WW1 as I have other conflicts. PBS has an interview with the author of "11th Month, 11th day, 11th hour." Can anyone recommend any other books? Looking for overall historical background as well as specific, stories of the soldiers in the trenches.

I haven't read very much on WW1 as I have other conflicts. PBS has an interview with the author of "11th Month, 11th day, 11th hour." Can anyone recommend any other books? Looking for overall historical background as well as specific, stories of the soldiers in the trenches.

Historical background of battles and alot of info:

World War One by H.P. Willmont. Every page is an actual photo, alot of diagrams and maps, colour pictures of equipment, uniforms, and weapons. East Front, African, Western, all fronts really. Covers all of the armies and powers in the war.

As for stories of soldiers, I do not know. I only have the one book, and my money is set forward on purchasing the Canadians in Italy set of books(Ortona, Lyrie Valley, Hitler Line, and the Gothic Line I beleive are the entire series)

I'll keep my eye out for you.

Tried to catch the ceremony in downtown Ottawa today but between school and work.... sad_o.gif

BTW, anyone seen the commemorative Canadian quarter?

Cancoin.jpg

AFAIK it's the only circulation coin with colour, but some veterans are upset at how easily the paint comes off.

AFAIK it's the only circulation coin with colour, but some veterans are upset at how easily the paint comes off.

hmm these guys are still around? I hear stories about ww2 and ppl saying "Soon we will all be dead and noone will tell these stories " ww1 must be even worse.

Unimaginable these days that in a single attack tens of thousands of men went "over the top" and got largely wiped out. Imagine that happening in fallujah, the Iraq war would be over in days. It must have taken enormous courage, knowing this, to still climb up that ladder and go at the enemy.

hmm these guys are still around? I hear stories about ww2 and ppl saying "Soon we will all be dead and noone will tell these stories " ww1 must be even worse.

Unimaginable these days that in a single attack tens of thousands of men went "over the top" and got largely wiped out. Imagine that happening in fallujah, the Iraq war would be over in days. It must have taken enormous courage, knowing this, to still climb up that ladder and go at the enemy.

Yupp, the movie Gallipolli (starring Mel Gibson and produced by scumbag Murdoch) has a very sobering protayal of this.

Then there's the all-famous "All Quiet on the western front"...

hmm these guys are still around?

There are many in Ottawa - or at least they come on Rememberance day or the anniversary of D-Day.

Here's a couple of pictures I snapped last June 6th:

Veterans (purple jackets) and re-enactors

D-Dayparade6.jpg

Veteran at the Eternal Flame:

D-DayEternalFlame.jpg

Finally got myself a poppy today. Guy selling them said there were only 3 of them selling them around town this year, thus why i struggled to find a seller.....3 people for a town of about 30'000 people.... wow_o.gif ...i think next year i will volunteer to sell them.

You make it sound easier than it would have been smile_o.gif nearest Petrol station is about 4 miles off my route, and as i cycle to work, and i don't drive, it would have been difficult to get out there wink_o.gif

Anyway, got one in the end! Feel better about myself smile_o.gif