philcommando

using object proxies

If u happened to be searching for an answer to proxies, hope this may help.

When creating non-vehicular addons, u may wanna make use of ofp or your own addons as proxies the way we use proxy missiles onto our aircraft. It is possible. This is just an example of how i use the proxy trees to complement my PCfoxhill addon.

1. After i have completed my addon, in resolution LOD, i just click on create and added the tree proxy from the data 3d file.

2. Saved the addon and loaded into ofp. NO TREES!!!! wow_o.gif

3. Went back to O2, copy and paste the proxy tree from resolution LOD into View Geometry LOD. Saved and loaded into ofp. YES!!!!!!!!! Trees at last...BUT SOLDIERS CAN WALK THRU - NO GEOMETRY LOD!!!! crazy_o.gif

4. Went back again into 02, copy and paste tree proxy from resolution LOD into Geometry LOD. Saved and loaded into ofp. VOILA!!!! working proxy tree.:D

5. Basically to cut a long story short, just load the addon proxy thru the create command into resolution, geometry and view geometry and u should be about to have a working proxy object. NO ADDITIONAL CONFIG WRITTEN NEEDED.

6. Should u wanna view the proxy in bulldozer, u will need to:-

a. add in the path of your addon, eg.- proxy:\xaddon\x.p3d Remember to erase off the paths once u wanna makepbo, eg - \xaddon\x.p3d becomes proxy:x otherwise ofp engine wont recognise the proxy.

7. Col Klink is pioneering the DIB concept but i am not sure how it is implemented, however based on my own experiments, it seems the proxies will work for objects smaller than 50m or up to its geo limits. Anything bigger than 50m, u would have the proxy appear ingame base on the method used above but will not have any LOD, but i could be wrong.

All the best! smile_o.gif

Well done Philcommando. This is the first step in the DIB process.

If the user wants to include his own objects the path of the object proxy must reflect the addon path; e.g. proxy:\cwk_dyntutorial\door1.01. If I strip off the path as in: proxy:door1.01 OFP cannot find it. However the data3d objects are stripped of the path.

The DIB process uses the proxy as a place holder so that addons themselves can be placed. For example the door above is interactive, e.g. can open and close, be blown open etc, so it would be replaced by the addon itself. Likewise other interactive objects would be done in much the same manner.

DIB also allows the placing of large building parts, but it involves a lot of prior planning to get it to work effectively.

Thanks Col, for the tip....will experiment on it further. May DIB lead to more interactive addons in the future. wink_o.gif

nice idea

i tried that straight of but its weid

when i rename the proxys

from

proxy:\myaddon\test.p3d.01 to

proxy:test

i get a weird message

data3d\test.p3d not found (magic)

how can i change this so i can use an obejct out of my directory ??

btw

couldnt that way turrets be applied to planes?

well applied yes but would they work?

or liek the movable engines on the osprey?

like this

u attach teh engines as proxys to the wings

and assigen teh proppelers to be the engines (proxys)

so that the whole proxy is moved

id try that if i could but that stuid bug above keeps me from that

cheers

Great to hear u experimenting too, nephilim.

The correct codes for your own custom addons should be:-

proxy:\myaddon\xxx.p3d for viewing in 02

Then it should become:-

proxy:\myaddon\xxx when u makepbo.

PS: should u be using proxy addons from data3d ( ofp's set) then it should be:-

proxy:\data3d\xxx.p3d for viewing in 02

Then it should become:-

proxy:xxx or proxy:xxx.01 if more than one of similar

addon when u makepbo.

This manner u will tell ofp engine where your proxy is ingame.

as for turrets, its a good idea...but i havent experimented placing a proxy in the memory LOD and not to sure if including the turret's rotating config into the main config would work.

Cheers!

note:- i am not the first to discover the method to view & compile proxies in 02. Thanks to brsseb, i learnt it from his armed plane tutorial. wink_o.gif

hmm yeah i think its worth a try

lol if it is possible

we really were blind all these years biggrin_o.gif

GODDAMIT! ( no i wont regret that!)

ive tried all comibnations now, none worked!

mypath fo the proxy

proxy:\uscm_m577\cyltest.p3d

(even with this no result)

after changing to

proxy:\uscm_m577\cyltest

no result

proxy:\uscm_m577\cyltest.01

no result

i basically want to put a test cylinder on top of my apc

in oxygen it appears after every renameing!

im getting real mad now!

do i have to put sth in the cfg or so?

i even tried recalculating normals which is kinda rediculous...

i really dont know wot im doing wrong

ingame the cylinder isnt there!

nothing zero nada nic nichts!

rahh

phil would u take a look at it for me?

It seems strange that u cant get it to work.

1. proxy:\uscm_m577\cyltest.p3d

Using this line you should be able to see the model in 02. Did u see it?

2. proxy:\uscm_m577\cyltest -in 02 u wont be able to see this, but ingame u should be able to see it without any lines written in the config.

3. the proxy should at least be in the resolution, geometry and view geometry lod.

I can't get the MF to work. crazy_o.gif

Never did have any luck with proxies.

AFAIK some proxies dont work on certain vehicle classes. In the fishing boats I wanted different parts to be proxies to save  polygons, while they appeared in O2 they never appeared in game, so in the end I included the proxy model as the part of the original addon..

This was the reason I created the proxy missile tutorial that uses setobjecttexture to show or hide the missiles.

*edit:

Additionally the various model classes may only recognise certain proxy types. But this is surmising on my part.

Quote[/b] ]some proxies dont work on certain vehicle classes

mmm.. let me guess, the ones that I work with.  mad_o.gif

I have a reasonable understanding of 'setobjecttexture' but absolutely SFA about them proxy thingymajigs.

Is there a basic english tut on them?

hmm have u thought of attaching light this way?

i mean light to guns or heads of soldiers

i dont mean the convetional way on putting lighst on weapons using the soldier..

since my cfg work suxx i couldnt try that out yet

hope u know wot i mean

lik eu attacha light source via the proxy

It would be neat to be able to do this. I tried using proxies for the multi gun positions on the PT boats, but as I found with the fishing boats the proxies didint appear in game, which is a shame really cos if it had of worked the problem of multi gunner positions on aircraft would have been solved too.

Quote[/b] ]the problem of multi gunner positions on aircraft would have been solved too.

Yeah tell me about it.  crazy_o.gif

So these proxies only work on static objects?

(Hey Klink, what you doing up so early?)

What I am working on now would really be nice with multi gunners as would alot of planes that OFP is missing out on.

hmm realy strange

i didnt manage to put anyother proxy on my apc except diver

cargo and gunner proxy...

i mean even the missiles didnt work!

like if u put on missiles on palnes via procys

these are just objects aswell...

well in buldozer they are visible even if i rename the path

i tried like:

proxy:\uscm_m577\testcyl.p3d.01 to

proxy:\uscm_m577\testcyl.01 and without the ".01"

they are still visible in oxy...

i get the creeps

smile_o.gif Nice finding (custom proxy thingy)...i've always been interested how it worked.

@nephilim: In case you didn't find it yet (took me some testing aswell). Don't want to confuse you, but i found out this works for me:

proxy:\EEC_TrObj\TargetA.01.

This shows me my proxy model in O2 AND ingame (no need to edit the proxys name)...Well, i tried klincks and phils combinations, but none of them was visible. Anyway, it is working for me!

Just tested:

proxy:\EEC_TrObj\TargetA.01   -->works O2 (not tested ingame, but suppose works too)

proxy:\EEC_TrObj\TargetA.01.  -->works O2/ingame (no extra edit need  smile_o.gif ?)

proxy:\EEC_TrObj\TargetA.01.p3d   -->works O2 (not tested ingame...according to others it doesn't work).

Just make shore this is correct...

proxy:\addfolder\modelname.01.

Good luck. If it still doesn't work, i can send you a small test model with working custom proxy.

could it then be possable

to transport for instance a jeep inside a cargo plane?

Hi.

Question about proxies:

I'm still working on the addon (an oilrig) on which I had the problems with Component Convex Hull.

The problem is, that I have several parts which are ca. 30 m above the origin to be able to place them correctly in WrpTool. But when the parts are at this height, the Convexity doesn't work properly.

So I thought about making proxies...

I thought I could split the proxy-model, meaning that I make one separate model of each LOD, e. g. one model with the geo-LOD, one with memory, etc and then place these separate proxy-models in the appropriate LODs.

Does anyone know if this is possible and will work ingame (especially the animatins)?

@Col. Klink:

I read about your DIB project, where the proxies are placeholders for the models... perhaps this is easier than my way... if it's not a top secret project, could you explain to me how it works?

Or can anybody else tell me how to assemble several models using proxies so that all LODs and animations are functional?

Thanks for replies.

Swordsmanb