Sign in to follow this  
Tovarish

Castro breaks a leg on stage

dzlitem1847.jpgdzlitem1848.jpg

Castro Breaks Knee in Fall

Quote[/b] ]A medical examination confirms that Fidel Castro has suffered a broken left knee and a hairline fracture in his right arm after tripping and falling at a graduation ceremony in Cuba on Wednesday night.

A statement aired by state television says the Cuban dictator asked for the report to go public.

The 78-year-old Castro tripped on a step and tumbled to the ground after leaving the stage at a graduation ceremony.

But he returned to the stage and spoke live on state TV less than a minute later. He told viewers he was "all in one piece." He also vowed to continue his work "even if they put me in a cast."

Castro's fall is certain to launch a new round of speculation about the 78-year-old communist leader's health and the eventual succession after his 45 years of rule.

Castro's designated successor has long been his younger brother, 73-year-old defense minister Raul Castro, who fought with him in the Cuban revolution that overthrew President Batista in 1959.

Footage of the incident showed Castro tripping on a concrete step after he finished walking down the stairs from the stage. He fell onto the ground on his right side into the first line of chairs, banging his knee, hip, elbow and arm on the way down, as spectators looked on in surprise.

He was immediately surrounded by scores of security agents and others who rushed to help him up.

Castro's speech before the graduation ceremony for arts instructors was broadcast live on state-run television, but viewers could not see his fall. All that was visible was several of his security men running off to the side, evidently to assist him.

Less than a minute later, Castro appeared live on state TV, sitting in a folding chair and sweating profusely in his olive green uniform, and explained what happened to viewers across the island of 11.2 million people.

He said he felt like he had broken his knee and perhaps his arm "but I am all in one piece."

"I will do what is possible to recover as fast as possible, but as you can see I can still talk," he said. "Even if they put me in a cast, I can continue in my work."

In June 2001, Castro collapsed behind the podium while delivering an hours-long speech.

Castro returned minutes later to assure people in the audience -- and millions more watching it live on television -- that he was fine.

Miami, capital of Cuban exiles, abuzz with news of Castro's fall

Quote[/b] ]MIAMI (AFP) - Known as the capital of Cuban exiles, Miami was abuzz with news of President Fidel Castro (news - web sites)'s accident, with many Cuban-Americans bemoaning that the communist leader only fell on his face, and not from power.

In Miami's Little Havana neighborhood, several Cuban-Americans said they were disappointed the man whose regime they fled years ago had not died, and only broke an arm and a knee.

At the Versailles restaurant, a favored meeting spot for Cuban exiles, Castro's fall was the topic of the day.

"I'm happy he got a good fall," said Guillermo Novo, laughing. "I'm only sorry he did not get really badly hurt."

Another customer, Antonio de la Cova, said the entire Cuban nation, watching the incident on television must have thought, and hoped Castro had died.

One caller to a Spanish-language radio station expressed outrage that journalists had spoken of Castro's "fall" -- which he gave listeners for a few seconds the impression Cuba's communist government had collapsed.

"This shows just how anxious Cuban people are to see the end of this nightmare," said Ninoska Perez-Castellon, a radio-journalist who heads the Cuban Liberty Council, one of several Miami-based anti-Castro groups.

"For 40 years, this man has been doing what he wants," she told AFP.

Another exile leader, Jose Basulto, was critical of the importance fellow Cubans gave to the incident.

"Instead of the activism that should be there to trigger the political fall of Castro, people are wasting time with nonsense such as this," said Basulto, who heads the Brothers to the Rescue group.

Poor bastard must have fallen alseep from his own speech biggrin_o.gif

Tell me about it, one stands out from when I was a kid, the Saturday Night movie on TV got postponed because he was still talking about bread and carrots (I swear I'm not making this up)

CIA trip wires? tounge_o.gif

I was gonna say.

A roll of carpet (or whatever inanimate object it was) did what the CIA couldn't. tounge_o.gif

dodgy stuff to happen to an old man, breaking bones and not having the strenght to heal them is a major fatal problem, but oh well, he is a tough guy, im sure he will be breakdancing in no time.

Or after decades of attempted assasinations (exploding CIA cigars anyone?) and coups he manages to get himself killed by tripping. biggrin_o.gifblues.gif

And he even joked about it afterwords.

It's pretty funny, if I have done it I would have laught wink_o.gif

I dont understand... How could u laugh on it?  rock.gif

Why shouldnt we? A broken leg is nothing to be concerned about!

not to mention that any dictator deserves to be taken down a notch every now and then

I dont understand... How could u laugh on it? rock.gif

not to mention that any dictator deserves to be taken down a notch every now and then

LOL. First of all he's a human.

Then i cant understand. Do u wet yr pants when u hear word "communist"? No? Then whats the problem? Do u think that if there's reform on Cuba, everyone suddenly gets happy there?

Edit: typos

nevermind. If u want to laugh - then laugh.

I'll do the same if something similar happens to u.

I dont understand... How could u laugh on it?  rock.gif

LOL. First of all he's a human.

Then i cant understand. Do u wet yr pants when u hear word "communist"? No? Then whats the problem? Do u think that if there's reform on Cuba, everyone suddenly gets happy there?

Edit: typos

I have this great idea!!! It's like... THE best that i've EVER had!!!!

Let's invade Cuba tomorrow, no need to think about it, let's just invade them!  I say we take about 1002 soldiers, that should be enough to make sure that there aren't too much fights and crap like that.

We give castro a trial (=execution) and after that every cuban will live happy everafter!  They kneel down every day and thank Gooooood for this great democracy!  Hoooraaaaay!

Thank you liberatoooors!

Oh boy this is gonna be great!  I wanne shoot some missileees!

edit: I seem to have a déjŕ vu.... strange...

Oh well

NUKE EEEEM!

You may laugh if I fall and break my leg. A lot of things happened to me in the past and lots of my friend often laughed. At that specific moment I was always angry at them but when they told me afterwards how funny it looked when I fell / crashed then I tend to forgive them. And you would be surprised but Castro himself has a good sense of humor.

Oh and Darklight... put that missile out of your hand. I told you already several times that those are nothing to play around with. We agreed we keep them secret untill we see the opportunity to invade Iceland.

You may laugh if I fall and break my leg. A lot of things happened to me in the past and lots of my friend often laughed. At that specific moment I was always angry at them but when they told me afterwards how funny it looked when I fell / crashed then I tend to forgive them. And you would be surprised but Castro himself has a good sense of humor.

Oh and Darklight... put that missile out of your hand. I told you already several times that those are nothing to play around with. We agreed we keep them secret untill we see the opportunity to invade Iceland.

Yeah well i hope you guys have some humor too or some of you won't like my previous post....

Oh well...

I dunno if you could call that humor...

Anyway

People that fall ARE funny... that's for sure...

I love it when babies go down, nothing beats that...

I just love such moments, whenever i see one of those little kids go down i just can't stop laughing.  Sad enough their mummies don't really appreciate my behaviour.

I once saw this little annoying kid running right against some iron thing.  The good part is that that kid truly was annoying, i swear to god i couldn't act normal for 5 minutes.  I always saw that little guy going down over and over again...

Yup

i can understand that it's funny to see an old man hit the ground... hiiit the ground!

edit:

Quote[/b] ]Oh and Darklight... put that missile out of your hand. I told you already several times that those are nothing to play around with. We agreed we keep them secret untill we see the opportunity to invade Iceland.

Sorry Albert sad_o.gif

It's just that... It's so hard not to talk about it.... sad_o.gif

ahum

i mean

"haha" invading iceland, good joke buddy!

*sneaky*

(contact me with PM, we need to get this missile thing settled before the FBI stops minding it's own business)

Quote[/b] ] Let's invade Cuba tomorrow, no need to think about it, let's just invade them!

Is there tons of oil in Cuba?

Quote[/b] ]You may laugh if I fall and break my leg. A lot of things happened to me in the past and lots of my friend often laughed. At that specific moment I was always angry at them but when they told me afterwards how funny it looked when I fell / crashed then I tend to forgive them. And you would be surprised but Castro himself has a good sense of humor.

I just cant understand why do u become so happy when someone among politicans get injured.

Bush falls from bycicle - uahaahhahahaah!!! roflmao!!!

Castro breaks leg - HAHAHA! How amazing.

rock.gif

Quote[/b] ] Let's invade Cuba tomorrow, no need to think about it, let's just invade them!

Is there tons of oil in Cuba?

Quote[/b] ]You may laugh if I fall and break my leg. A lot of things happened to me in the past and lots of my friend often laughed. At that specific moment I was always angry at them but when they told me afterwards how funny it looked when I fell / crashed then I tend to forgive them. And you would be surprised but Castro himself has a good sense of humor.

I just cant understand why do u become so happy when someone among politicans get injured.

Bush falls from bycicle - uahaahhahahaah!!! roflmao!!!

Castro breaks leg - HAHAHA! How amazing.

rock.gif

Well everyone just dislikes bush, so whenever he does something wrong ppl bash the hell out of him...

I don't see the problem...

Oh and i don't think the castro incident is THAT funny at all, it's not like i actually laugh when i see him going down.

I think it's much funnier when one of my friends breaks his leg... Whenever someone gets hurt like that i just can't seem to stop laughing...

Of course not when it's something serious, i don't think it's funny to see someone getting shot or being killed in a car accident or wounded in a serious way.

edit: on second thought, breaking your leg isn't always funny, it's HOW you break it that matters...