Sign in to follow this  
nubbin77

Nubby's Template version 1.0

EDITED AND UPDATED FIRST POST

Nubby's Template version 1.1

Ok, I did a terrible job at bughunting the first time, but this time I can assure everyone that it works w/o any addons

except the two mentioned below. Sorry for everyone that downloaded it before and had troubles. Give it another try.

I'm looking forward to playing missions / campaigns made with the help of this template.

Get it here:

http://www.ofpec.com/editors/resource_view.php?id=712

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First of all, this is really the first time I have made anything publically available for OFP.

There is an amazing amount of talent that contribute to the continuation of this game. I do not possess any of that talent but I know it when I see it.

What I tried to do is create a mission template that incorporates most of my favorite scripts and functions that were created by many different people. This template is very dynamic in the sense that.. no matter how many times you play through it, the experience should never be the same. This is mostly due to Keycat's Grouplink version 1.72.

Read about that here:

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....t=42775

I also wanted to have a large battle area with many objectives. The possibilites for such objectives are limitless. It can be as simple as a single objective on an Island. This template should help alleviate some of the time spent putting on enemies and waypoints, since, the enemies are all "linked." But that does not mean you won't see plenty of enemy movement.

The mission, although using hundreds and hundreds of enemies, should not lag or significantly lag because of the use of spawn scripts and remove dead scripts. Playing through this you should have the feeling that there are enemies everywhere and avoiding them will be difficult.

I currently have a teleport function in the radio (courtesy of Keycat). I used this because, playing this.. you will die. For Co-Op missions I generally like to respawn within the group. The problem with that, is that when the group dies, the mission is over. And this template can end up being a very long mission. Respawning at base gives you the problem of having to run for a half hour to catch up to your team mates - not very fun either. This script lets you get right back in the action with your team mates. Its sort of a cheat, but its up to the player not to abuse it. Its one of those function... if you don't like it DON"T USE IT.

The mission, in its current state is EXTREMELY difficult to play through by yourself - I made this with CO-Op play in mind. More groups of west soldiers can be added as necessary. My brother and I, using 2 * 7 man teams were able to complete 2 of the 3 objectives over the course of almost 2 hours before we lost all soldiers... (though losing your men is not the end of the story - read about Sinews of War below).

ADDONS NEEDED:

Editor Update 102

Snyper's support pack

Available at:

http://www.ofpec.com/editors/spt_pack.php

Refer there for documentation

I think that is all.

Regarding Sinews of War:

Go to

http://www.sinewsofwar.com/home.htm

and read about it. Theres too much to put in a readme. Suffice it to say, its interesting. If you don't care for it and don't want any parts of it, well guess what, you don't have to use it. It adds virtually 0 overhead to cpu cycles during the actual mission (except any time you access those menus, and during that time, you really should not be engaged in combat.)

IMPORTANT: To access the Sinews of War function, you need to walk up to the flag at your starting point. From there you will be given an option in your action menu that says "main menu". Think of this as your mercenary database - where you can spend money and buy equipment and vehicles, ammo, assign and train soldiers. If you wanted to do a series of missions, you can save your equipment and ammo back at the base at the end. If you find vehicles or weapons you can bring them back to base and sell them, or add them to your inventory. The SOW has 100 soldiers in there to start at various skill levels. If they die, you will not have them for the next mission. It also tracks their injured status and skill (0-100%).

Other credits not already mentioned above:

I borrowed / modified scripts from several people in this, so if I used something from somebody that I don't recognize below, I appologize. But just be happy that your prior efforts are being put to good use by someone.

Gareth Lewis - for helping me with Spawning of enemy units in a multiplayer environment

The remove dead script was borrowed from someone, but I do not know who (it was publically available). Sorry for not remembering where I got it.

Hi nubbin77,

I will be happy to host your mission template. Check your PM for info.

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

OFPEC will be delighted to host your mission - there are no actual bandwidth problems at present, although you are right that bandwidth is an issue.

The Addons Depot was taken down temporarily to prevent bandwidth problems from arising.   Once the Donation run is complete more bandwidth will be purchased and Addons Depot will return.   So far things are going very well.

Cool, thanks everyone for the interest. As soon as I get home from work I will upload it.

Do you came back to your home since yesterday wink_o.gif

I am interested by what you wrote about your template.

Yeah, me too.

I sent it to Avon and Keycat - they both offered to host.

(Avon?  Keycat?...)

I probably did something stupid when I sent it to them, like not attach the file.  I'll try again tonight. :P

Oh, and I looked into putting it on OFPEC, but they said they only want complete missions with overviews and breifings... This thing doesn't really have that and I don't want to bend / break any rules. wink_o.gif

@ Nubbin, got it! Will upload it to my web and provide a link later tonight (or tomorrow).

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

Oh, and I looked into putting it on OFPEC, but they said they only want complete missions with overviews and breifings... This thing doesn't really have that and I don't want to bend / break any rules.    wink_o.gif

Actually, if you look in the editors depot, there is a section for "wizard templates".... sounds like just the place for what you've got. Plus, you can be the first one to put something in there!

Ok, look here:

http://www.ofpec.com/editors/resource_view.php?id=712

Again, the idea with this is to cut out some effort of mission makers and incorporate some really fantastic scripts.  After people check this out, I can make some modified / light versions that cut out some unwanted features (such as perhaps the SOW or the Support pack stuff).

Enjoy.

To moderator... can we change this topic title to "Nubby Template"?

hey nubby i tried to start the misison in the editor but it only crashes me to desktop saying that there is a error with the description.ext file, something about 1

Did you try it in MP or single player.

I haven't tried this with Single player.

good day.

I loaded it up in editor and get the following error on preview

Script /effectpack/fuelleffect/init.sqs not found. Any idea how to fix?

Thanks

good day.

I loaded it up in editor and get the following error on preview

Script /effectpack/fuelleffect/init.sqs not found. Any idea how to fix?

Yes I know how to fix that.  Sorry. I must have been sloppy.  That is from the special effects pack that is part of EECP.  it is put in the initialization line of some vehicles.  I did not want to put that in this template to keep addons to a minimum.  Evidently I overlooked some of the units with this in their init line.  

There are 3 solutions.

1) Wait until tonight - I'll go through and try to be more diligent and take this out.

2)  Go into the editor and look at the vehicles on the map (there should be 15 groups, plus a truck by your starting location) that have vehicles.  look at all of them and see if they have

[This] /effectpack/fuelleffect/init.sqs (or something similar)

in the init line. if so, delete that out.  You don't have to click on the unit to see if its in their initialization, just put the cursor over the vehicle.

3)  Go here and download the effect pack and put it in your addons.  You can get some nice special explosions with it (if a bit unrealistic).  Still cool never the less.

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....t=38230

Keep the bug reports coming so I can work on this tonight and clean it up.

Edit: (I haven't quite figured out how to use the quote button)

rock.gif

Quickly tested it in ECP after loading the effect pack and the SP support pack + Sarugao.

Found a missing sound error "bas_bug" or something like that.

Crap - Ok, I know what that is too. I added a couple ambient sounds to some of the spawn triggers. I'll remove those.

Thanks for helping me debug this guys. I hope I haven't frustrated anyone. When I get home from work I will squash these two bugs (well there not bugs if you have the addons that I do) and reupload.

Any others while I am at it?

Commando 84, did you try it in MP and still have that error from description file?

Ok, I fixed it. See updated first post. Sorry about that guys. Please try again and let me know what you think.

Quickly tested the new version of this template in the mission editor and i have not found any errors yet smile_o.gif .

For the test, without "buying" any other AI than the small team i had, i launched an A10 strike on an AI position (the village south of the starting position) followed by a mortar artillery to finish the job, then assaulted with my AI buddies the position , killing every survivor on sight.

Then, my team and myself were killed 1mn later by an enemy artillery strike , damn them smile_o.gif

Thank you for the template.

Good to hear. The AI calling artillery can be toned down or removed all together. I myself get a bit frustrated with it when I am doing rather well on a mission, then they catch me standing around with my pants around my ankles and lose half my team.

no i haven't, i wanna try in the editor and make a quick mission and then speed to the´mp part and play test more smile_o.gif

aw man sorry!  unclesam.gif

i had been trying to run ofp desktop shortcut tha didn't have the support pack enabled...  tounge_o.gif  im really stupid sometimes  biggrin_o.gif  the template is really working and all, got to explore everything thats in the template  smile_o.gif

nice work nubby! I've always wanted a template where you could find these stuff in it togheter.

btw tried it througly and it was really good, only downer is that my comp slows down pretty drastic in frame rate tounge_o.gif

and btw if i wanna add music to the description.ext , its so much stuff there im lost where to add the music codes.. wow_o.gif

first mission i will make with this maybe even can get a official release on ofpec or something smile_o.gif just depends on how i can get the music to small size and so on wink_o.gif

Sorry for the slight delay but here is a mirror for template...

Nubby's Template 1.10

If you have an new version feel free to send it my way and I will upload it.

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

Keycat, make sure that your mirror uses version 1.1.

As far as slowdowns are concerned, there are 15 groups of enemys that are not spawned and are constantly active as part of the group link. Some of those can be removed to increase FPS - but one of the lines on the Group link initialization has to be edited for each group removed. What I'll probably do is post another template with less units (there are almost 50 enemy groups in this thing right now).

Eman, Did you download from Keycat's mirror? I think he has version 1 that had a couple bugs. Look at my first post.