Sign in to follow this  
brat

Soviet 1985 Afghan Infantry Pack

Quote[/b] ]Posted on Jan. 10 2005,08:15

Now all we need is those soviet soldiers in woodland gear. I have been itching to create the red wave crushing into europe during the cold war!

As I have been saying, I believe some are in the works.

This looks pretty good I'm going to have a shot at downloading it.

Quote[/b] ]Now all we need is those soviet soldiers in woodland gear.

Woodland BDUs were introduced in Soviet Army in 1989... It was called "Soviet 1989 camouflage". Before this period, Soviet Army used KLMK camo, and different versions of "computer-pattern" camo, as on BIS soldiers. I have a version of KZM camo... All textures are ready. Maybe later... I will do something with it.

I'm getting a "missing Arnhem.pbo" or something message whenever I load the Afghanistan island in the mission editor

If anyones planning on making missons with these units, consider reading this:

http://fmso.leavenworth.army.mil/fmsopubs/issues/waraf.htm

Its got a very good history of the conflict and also mentions the vehicles/equipment employed and Soviet tactics used.

That was a really good read! It provides a lot of details that would make for good mission subject matter.

Quote[/b] ]I'm getting a "missing Arnhem.pbo" or something message whenever I load the Afghanistan island in the mission editor

Same here when I load the trial mission(s), along with a similar error message about "mortar2" - whatever that is. Looks like a similar problem to the one with the Pedagne mod; the addon-maker has stuff on his 'puter that we don't, and perhaps hasn't tried this in a separate mod folder like Avon tells us to do. And we all do what Avon tells us to do, eh!? smile_o.gif

I think this has to do with an old (and never finished) mapaddon called 'arnhem' or 'netherlands' or something simular. I believe it was made byt a guy named Motho38. But I'm not sure.

I tried to search for it, but couldn't find it this quickly. Since I don't and won't use this afghan island, you'll have to search for it yourself.

The "Afghan" troops look to be a retexed version of the ORCS Iraq pack they release way back.

rock.gif

While the Afghan guys don't look like stereotypical Afghan Mujahadin, they do look similar to some of the Arab volunteers who faught in Afghanistan. If you mix these guys in with Remo's Afghan units, I think they make for more variety.

I hope that someone also will make the Afghan government troops during this period who used those solid green Cuban Army style uniforms and caps.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Quote[/b] ]Its about the Arnhem bridge, xobridge.pbo.

Which can be DL'ed at ofp.info/download/misc

ShadowY and Capt Frostbite - thanks for the info (any hints on mortar2? - just out of passing interest?)

I probably won't be making much use of the island either, Frostbite - purely my choice and no criticism of the hard work/skills of the addon-maker, it just doesn't look "right" for what I'd like to use. If I had the appropriate modelling skills I'd make a more informed comment, but I haven't so I won't. Good effort for giving it a try though - hope my opinion doesn't cause offence to the folk involved.