Sign in to follow this  
EveronVetsAgainstTheWar

Seasons

OFP is a great game and it is in real time. The sun rises, the sun sets, days go by, weeks and even months if you left the game running that long. Even the sunset times change. It's great. BUT I think it would be nice to see Trees change color in the autumn months and snow in winter (Kind of possible with Kegetys' Addon, but if you set that game for 17th July and Snows on the ground its kind of weird). Am I the only one who would like to see seasonal effects?

That's a valid point, and an excellent idea.

It might not take much work, basically just another set of textures. Rain should then turn into snow as well.

Snow would be very cool in OFP, along with a season change too. Since most of the forrests in OFP are evergreen, not much would change except the lone trees and shrubs.

Tyler

I think it is a great idea. I wonder how easy/hard it would be to pull off. It's not like we could see it happen in real-time (well, maybe some of you nuts that play 24/7 might), but it would add a great effect.

Is it just me or is the rain hardly even noticable.

Would be great to have water run off effects on windshields of vehicles and iron sites.

Also puddles where apropriate in landscapes would be awsome. I'd love to hide in a puddle with only my m21 sticking out smile.gif.

Indeed, there should be those heavy extra-large raindropps, that splat onto the front window, and cause mud on the ground. The mudd and puddles are a bit too complecated I think.

I dont think it would be that hard.

Just do it on the same way as with the christmas trees, just check the gametime instead.

It wouldnt even be necessary to make it change in realtime (Which would probably be very dificult).

Just have maybe 10 presets of textures of all the objects (Many of the objects could have the same for many seasons thouth, such as houses in summer/fall/spring).

When the game then starts it checks the mission time and date, and selects the proper texture.

they probably think "good idea" but dont know how to... i mean where do u draw the line between fall and winter? or summer and fall? and how would the change come about? quick or slowly? interesting though... i DO like the idea dont get me wrong

They could made something like 12 textures, 1 for each month. If anyone here every get out of their house and see trees and nature every once in a while, You´ll notice that it could work. If anyone care to set gamespeed @ x4 in OFP and wait a couple of days, I am sure they will find something to complain about anyway wink.gif

Hidden

You can probably get away with four textures, one for each season -- there's no reason why July and August can't use the same textures, for example.

And it would be cool to see your footprints on the snowy ground. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (masa @ Jan. 12 2002,23:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And it would be cool to see your footprints on the snowy ground. smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I'm sure that could be implemented fairly easily as well, since vehicles already leave tracks. Support for temporary track and tire marks which are visible to all players must already exist in the engine.

It would also be a useful way of spotting a partrol, and determining which way they went. smile.gif

To be honest I really like the rain as it is in Opf, IMO it's the closest attempt so far at recreating rain, all other games I've played make the rain so obvious you can count every drop, real rain isn't like that and IMO Opf has done it very well.

Change of seasons again would be excellent if it could be implemented, as would footprints in the snow, this would be excellent when used tactically, making a false trail to set up an ambush, tracking the enemy as mentioned above etc. It's prolly too late to program the AI to deal with it but in this version it could be cosmetic and implemented fully in Opf2 perhaps? smile.gif

Dont get me wrong i like the rain how it is but, time and time again im like oh its raining i wander how long its been raining for... sorta deal as its not very noticable especially on the skyline. smile.gif.

Anyway i just love op flash i wish they would put me on the design team as im choc a bloc fulla ideas smile.gif. I'd work for free just too see sum new elements looked at smile.gif.

I belive the game "dikatana" (spits in corner) won an award for "best rain". That was the only award it ever won. If you must reply to this, do not repeats "ITS" name.

I quite like the rain in Little Big Adventure 2. Now there was game worth getting.

*wipes away a tear*