Sign in to follow this  
ozanzac

Food for thought

Hell this thread is makes me VERY hungry!!! crazy_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Here in the Netherlands we eat all sorts of stuff.

Our national product is the patato and we use it to make virtually everything with it, although we mostly cook em or fry em.

Cuisine eh? I haven't eaten cuisine in a long time. I'm sure that since I'm an American you know all of our food already. When I eat out though, I usually go with some type of grilled meat with barbecue sauce on it, Korean cuisine or asian cuisine minus anything still in the shell, some wine of any type just so long as its sweet, basically anything sweet. I have a sweet tooth for food. I hate salty foods. If its vegetables its usually oriental for me, with some duck sauce or sweet and sour sauce on it. I think they're the same sauce. I'm not sure though lol. Since moving to Arizona however, i have began taking up eating certain burritos like Carne Asada which is a beef burrito. Right now since I''m on a diet i usually eat the refried bean burrito with cheese, guacamole, and sour cream inside. I like mexican noodles. I like Calzones which are also known as Strombolis a hell of alot more than pizza. I enjoy breaded shrimp. I also enjoy sweet and sour chicken. Anything sweet.

damn...what a weird thread.

Im hungry now, but of all this lovely food in display ill stick to my mediterranean cuisine, nothing beats fresh grilled fish and olive oil wink_o.gif

oh...shushi and shashimi would be my diet if i could afford it smile_o.gif

We had 'svenskarnas kraftskiva' at our house in August. My roommate knows these swedish girls who organized the party, and they bought the crayfish from IKEA... everybody sang a crazy song called Lambo and drank aquavit.

01.jpg

i guess no fast food really counts here....

Well, i cant make a meal out of fast food has i always get hungry in less than 30 minuts, i like typical portuguese cuisine (everything from meat to seafood) and italian too, can have it without a half decent bottle of wine, preferably red wink_o.gif .

Beer doesnt go well with a good meal, ok with small snacks and stuff wink_o.gif .

Quote[/b] ]Buffalo Chicken Wings, invented in the Anchor Bar in Buffalo

Frenchie do you have a recipe for the marinade ?

Quote[/b] ]We had 'svenskarnas kraftskiva'

I always buy them at IKEA biggrin_o.gif

It´s a stinky job to get the out of their houses but theytaste great. Try them with spagetthi and garlic-oil wink_o.gif

He he....nice to see this thread take off so well. smile_o.gif

The only other meal I could think of that's fairly unique to my area is the 'Pie Floater'.

Basically, a mince pie, with a dash of tomato sauce floating in a bowl of pea soup.

Tis usually only ever sold at night out of the Balfours bakery pie carts in my home city of Adelaide.

Never had one myself; but apparently, it's a local icon.

@ Sep. 15 2004,20:25)]I'd take "pasha" instead. Part of Finnish Easter cuisine too, at least in eastern parts of country. Made of milk, cream, fruits and spices if I remember correctly. Probably originally from Russia.

How to shock foreign people with Finnish cuisine, part 2

"Mustamakkara", some sort of blood sausage. I like this stuff with lingonberry jam. Ummmm. Probably isn't huge shocker for most of people. It's just that Finnish cuisine is quite narrow - nowadays.

And Finnish cuisine usually tastes like you-know-what. The only exception is fish and game.

If any Melbourne person is near Kynton. There no better thing than to get a Hamburger with the lot and a bottle ok coke from the Fish and chip shop. I sneek out of skool to keep Hamburgers. smile_o.gif

malay-nasigoren.jpg

This is Nasi Goreng.It's malay food,though.

EDIT:More pics of malay foood will come soon!Anyway,off to work!

EDIT2:Althought i don't eat so much Malay Food,i still am intending to post this picture.

For a three course meal, This is about as Australian as you could probably get, unless you resorted to eating witchedy-grubs. crazy_o.gif

Starter:

Pumpkin Soup

pumpkin%20soup.jpg

ingredients:

40g butter

1 large brown onion (200g), chopped coarsely

3 bacon rashers (210g), chopped coarsely

1.5 kg pumpkin, chopped coarsely

2 large potatoes (600g), chopped coarsely

1.5 litres (6 cups) chicken stock

method:

Melt butter in large saucepan; cook onion and bacon, stirring, until onion softens. Stir in pumpkin and potato.

Stir in stock, bring to a boil; simmer, uncovered, about 20 minutes or until pumpkin is soft.

Blend or process soup, in batches, until pureed. Return to same cleaned pan; stir until heated through.

Serve with a splash of cream and a sprig of parsley.

Main meal:

Red Kangaroo with pumpkin risotto and bush tomato chutney.

kangaroo.jpg

Ingredients (serve 2):

1 kg Kangaroo tenderloin

300 grams Pumpkin

1 cup Alborio rice

2 Tablespoons Red ochre bush tomato chutney

Salt and pepper to taste

250 grams diced Spanish red onion

100 grams Butter

2 cloves Garlic crushed

300 ml vegetable stock

Method:

Roast off pumpkin, then puree to a fine consistency.

Fry the butter, crushed garlic and onions. Add to the pumpkin puree with the rice, vegetable stock and bring to the boil in a saucepan over medium heat. Reduce until all the liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat.

Rub the kangaroo tenderloin with the crushed garlic. Seal the kangaroo tenderloin in a frying pan with the butter. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from frying pan and place in 220 degrees Celsius oven for 5 minutes.

Remove from oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Cut into thin slices and serve with the risotto and Red Ochre bush tomato chutney.

Enjoy.

Dessert:

Little Lamingtons

lamington.jpg

Ingredients:

125 grams Soft butter

170 grams Sugar

2 Eggs

1 teaspoon Vanilla essence

190 grams Plain flour

2 teaspoons Baking powder

150 ml Milk

Flaked or shredded coconut for coating

Strawberries for decoration

23 cm square cake mould

Icing:

500 sifted Icing sugar

50 grams Dutch cocoa

40 grams Soft butter

2 teaspoons Vanilla essence

20 ml Liqueur

Method:

Beat butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy.

Add one egg at a time, beating well after each addition.

Slowly add and blend in the combined flour and baking powder. Separate into two batches and slowly blend in milk in two halves.

When mixture is well blended, place into cake mould and bake at 175 degrees Celsius for approximately 25-30 minutes or until cooked.

For icing, combine all icing ingredients with 100 ml of water. Mix until smooth.

Allow the cake to cool. Cut into 4 cm squares and dip each one briefly in the icing, then the coconut.

Serve decorated with strawberries.

This thread making you hungry? We Scots can fix that! scotland3.gif

Why not try a lovely Haggis? The Haggis is a wild animal that lives in the Highlands of Scotland. The Haggis hunting season begins when they hatch (30 November) until 25 January. The 31st of December is particularly anticipated by Haggis hunters as it is when great herds of Haggii migrate north for winter.

See the HaggisHunt site for more info.

haggis_home.jpg

haggis.jpg

Mmmmmmm!  biggrin_o.gif

Or perhaps you'd prefer the healthy option?

http://www.washtimes.com/upi-breaking/20040809-055045-1297r.htm

Quote[/b] ]New kebab dubbed most dangerous U.K. food

GLASGOW, Scotland, Aug. 9 (UPI) -- "The Stonner", a 1,000-calorie, deep fried pork sausage kebab has been dubbed the most dangerous fast food in Britain.

Sky News reported Monday the kebab contains 46 grams of fat and is double the calories of a Big Mac hamburger.

However, the Ruby Chip Shop in Glasgow, Scotland, that sells the kebab has provided a health warning to customers: "Due to the severe health damage of this fine dish, we can only supply one Stonner supper per customer per week," reads the sign provided by the restaurant's owner, Saei Sangag.

biggrin_o.gif

Hmm I thought that haggis is a dish made from a belly of a sheep, stuffed with something.

Hmm I thought that haggis is a dish made from a belly of a sheep, stuffed with something.

http://haggishunt.scotsman.com/haggisclopedia.cfm

Quote[/b] ]Haggis Myths

A haggis is just a sheep’s stomach stuffed with meat and oatmeal.

The most common mistaken belief about the haggis is that it is some kind of pudding made from sheep innards. This somewhat macabre idea dates back many centuries. Its origins lie in a Pictish fertility ceremony which featured a parade of creatures known to produce large numbers of offspring. The haggis was one such animal. However, as hunting techniques were not as sophisticated as they were then and - for reasons explained in The Haggis in Scotland’s History - haggis numbers were low, the Pictish priests often had to make do with a model for these ceremonies. Said model haggis was made from an inflated sheep bladder, hence the myth.

wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Although there are many recipes, it is normally made with the following ingredients: sheep's heart, liver, and lungs (or "lights"), minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock and traditionally boiled in the animal's stomach for several hours. In this it somewhat resembles other stuffed intestines, otherwise known as sausages, of which it is one of the largest types. Vegetarian recipes also exist, and the best of these make an extremely tasty haggis.

Says Wikipedia

Oh, ever seen a creature called haggis?

Quote[/b] ]Supposedly, the Wild Haggis is a creature which roams free through the Scottish Highlands. In actuality, it is merely a fictional animal spoken of to confuse the gullible. The story goes that during Haggis Season, Wild Haggis are hunted, and their meat served up as a local delicacy.

According to the legend, the haggis is a small four-legged Scottish Highland creature, which has the limbs on one side shorter than the other side. This means that it is well adapted to run around the hills at a steady altitude, without either ascending or descending. However a haggis can easily be caught by running around the hill in the opposite direction.

Such stories are not entirely confined to Scotland - for example, reports tell of a small Haggis population introduced to Nevada [1] (http://www.electricscotland.com/familytree/magazine/octnov2002/haggis.htm).

The notion of the Wild Haggis is extremely widely believed, though not always including the idea of mismatched legs. According to a survey released on 26th November 2003, one-third of US visitors to Scotland believed the haggis to be a real creature

Wiki