Sign in to follow this  
jjracing

I made a little island (10*10km, 488000objects)

I made a little island (10*10km, 505000objects)

I am late again, but hopefully not too late...

get it: NewLand beta 3

The official website of this inofficial addon will be <a href="www.ofp-newlan.de.vu" target='_blank'>www.ofp-newlan.de.vu</a>(its still under construction)

In this 3rd beta are still some bugs (the-road-railway-crossings for example) but I wont do anything to this island this year and I'll be on vacation.

I'll be gone till january 6th. Now its your part of this addon: bug reporting! Write down everything you dislike about my island.

It would be nice if the newspages webmasters could upload my island because the link above works just for 7 days.

The download links no longer work, Ofp.info have mirrored it here though.

Also it looks like your website has used up all of its bandwidth so non of your pictures work, you might consider putting them on a free host such as http://imageshack.us/index3.php smile_o.gif

Very nice island indeed. Never seen such a complete island before  xmas_o.gif

But is it supposed to jerk like hell. Near towns the framerate goes all the way down to 5. Even with only 1000m viewdistance and normal terrain. Doing fine all over Nogova with the same settings.

Is it the huge amount of objects?

I barely managed to fly (if you can call it that) with a Apache around this lovely island.

If it was'nt for the jerkiness this would have been the greatest island I've seen for OFP. I too would like to move there biggrin_o.gif

Cheers  smile_o.gif

edit:

Just did a sightseeing with a jeep. The worst of the fps-problem is gone. Did a trip from the port to the town on the west coast. Driving through all the towns on the way. Got lost some times, but with some map and compass usage I found a way out of the towns again biggrin_o.gif

The trip took me allmost an hour (driving fast between town and slow in them).

If only there was a way to gain some fps while flying sad_o.gif

Love flying NOE with gunships on this island. Especially the center with the forests covering the roads.

@placebo:

I'll think about it...

@Shadow:

You are right, the low fps is because of the objects. Nogova has about 17,500 objects, my NewLand has 505,000 Objects. Maybe you post some pictures of your gunship-mission here, If you took some smile_o.gif

This was a great map without the train tracks.

Seems like some sort of paradise. Where is it supposed to be set?

Oh an, there are some bugs. I can move through a few bridges and buildings.

Needs some more ground textures.

Other than that, I love the cities, towns, and what not. Very beautiful environment and a large map.

BTW, does anyone know of some street light addons...red light green light yellow light.

And someone needs to design new apartment buildings besides the stock BIS: Resistance ones. They ruin every map.

@Kin Hil:

If you habe Problems with ground textures get sure you have the NewLand.pbo, the w1.pbo and all the other needed addons in your res/addons folder.

Don't know were it could be. Well once I've been to Russia and there are a lot of free fields with bushes (beautiful landscape!), wich are not used by farmers.

@Agent Smith:

I have some problems with your coalheaps, they're flying. Why don't you select "keep height (fence)"?

Nogova has about 17,500 objects, my NewLand has 505,000 Objects. Maybe you post some pictures of your gunship-mission here, If you took some smile_o.gif

Yiiiiikes wow_o.gif

Any plans for a lite-version of this map by simply removing some bushes and trees?

This island is best admired when flying, but thats near impossible with this amount of objects.

It's the nicest island I've ever seen and all looks so natural and real. Would love to make lots of missions on it, but that will be hard considering the current frame-rate issue.

I understand the objects contribute to the alive-feeling this island has, but surely a middle-way should be possible?

It seems the houses and larger objects is'nt the cpu-hog. Its all those trees and bushes around the island. It looks wonderful but personally I rather see less of it and be able to play some real missions on it. I can see alot of thought and man-hours went into making this island. It would be a shame if it was only used for grabbing screenshots.

Sorry, did'nt take any pictures. It was'nt a mission. Just cruising around sightseeing.

I didn't plan to create a light-version yet because it would take a lot of time. Maybe I'll delete some objects while fixing bugs but I think it will be hard to get below 450,000 objects. Mybe once there will be a lite-version, but in the past I never set a "deadline"-release-date.

Quote[/b] ]It would be a shame if it was only used for grabbing screenshots.

Actually it was just creating things (first wrp file with just the AGS port and the Airport was saved on 6-26-2004) and landscape-design for fun, until I saw that others became interested in this island. So I kept on working on this Island. And I'm realy playing on Lanpartys with my 1,6ghz Intel Centrino notebook (ok, just on 2500m viewing range) and I have fun with NewLand. And I think also others have a higher framerate and fun with playing on NewLand.

Now school starts again and I won't work on this Island for the next month I think.

I'm realy playing on Lanpartys with my 1,6ghz Intel Centrino notebook (ok, just on 2500m viewing range) and I have fun with NewLand

Are you serious?

I get 4-5 fps when standing on the harbour looking west.

Wether viewdistance is 1000m or 1500m does'nt matter (because most of the objects rendered are already withing 1000m). Reducing resolution from 1280x1024 to 800x600 also makes no difference at all.

CPU PI-V 3GHz (similar cpu as your P-M1.6), 2GB RAM.

I got everything maxed out + running ECP and Llauma hisky.