Sign in to follow this  
joltan

Windows XP SP2 released

It sounds like you have som services disabled that the update process relies upon.

Click on start>settings>control panel>administrative tools>services

Turn on the "Crytographic Services" and make sure it's set to "automatic".

If it won't turn on then you've got problems with your system.

Alright, this is funky.  Cyptograph Service is turned on and set to automatic crazy_o.gif.  I tried restarting it, I'll try to install that update again and see how it goes wink_o.gif...

EDIT: Nope, still doesn't work sad_o.gif. I better do an adware/spyware scan to make sure I dont have any of that junk on my computer sad_o.gif.

Time to back up everything important and do a re-install me thinks.... sad_o.gif

I did a complete backup of the partition before installing sp2, but for now i see no reason to go back. Nero needed an update to work again, but beside that everything is working fine.

Yup, I used Norton Ghost to make a complete image of my XP Professional installation on an external Firewire hard disk.

Everything works fine so far, but I'm planning on keeping it for awhile just in case.

i ventured into the realm of sp2 today, had 2 very mixed results.

I first of all installed it on my own machine, worked perfectly first time, so i thought ok kewl when i finish putting me bros pc back together ill get him upto date aswell, it seemed to take an age to download then its just stopped half way, clicked cancel and it just hung, so i rebooted expecting windows to give me the big "up yours im not loading", of which it did, so.... i reinstalled windows (was a fresh copy to begin with) then i tried installing sp2 again, this time it finished downloading and installing, i had the message saying it installed successfully and its time to reboot, so i did, and so did the machine...over and over and over! i let out the biggest sigh, enough to blow over the proverbial little piggy house made of brick, tapped f8 to get it to boot into safe mode, nope, tried last know config....nope, so i selected an option not to auto reboot uopn system fail, this then took me to the reason why it was rebooting, it was missing a vital sytem file ie the service pack didnt install correctly. I have tracked down this somewhat common error and here is the fix if somone else gets the same prob

1. Boot from your XP CD and go to the Recovery Console

2. At the console c prompt - CD to C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$\spuninst

3. then type

BATCH SPUNINST.TXT

this will execute a HUGE command file that will manually recover your old pre-SP2 system files, etc - effectively uninstalling SP2.

You may see a lot of 'Access Denied' errors during the process - this is apparently normal!

Personally, I prefer using the Network Install package instead of Automatic Update.

If you download the entire 266MB Network Install and burn it onto a CD for safekeeping, you will never have to put up with slow or interrupted SP2 updates again. That's perfect if you have to do more than one system, which is why the Network Installer (intended for network administrators) was created in the first place. It gets you ALL the files that have changed since the original Windows XP was released to manufacturing, not just the ones you need for your particular installation.

Another great thing about the Network Install is that you can use it to create a slipstreamed Windows XP SP2 CD that you can use to install from scratch, and which won't have to be patched immediately.

Research has shown that an unpatched, unsecured (not behind an external firewall) Windows XP system that is connected to the Internet gets compromised in an average of 20 minutes, which doesn't give most people enough time to download and apply the service packs and security hotfixes that would prevent such a compromise in the first place. That's the number one reason for making a slipstreamed Windows XP SP2 CD.

Windows XP SP2 Network Install

AutoStreamer Windows XP SP2 Slipstream Creator

Research has shown that an unpatched, unsecured (not behind an external firewall) Windows XP system that is connected to the Internet gets compromised in an average of 20 minutes

I've seen it happen in 5 seconds. ;)

For info on how to slipstream a Winxp cd with SP2, here is a guide.

The nice thing about AutoStreamer is that it knows how to patch all official Windows XP installation CDs, and then it automatically creates the proper ISO file for you. There is no need to extract boot sectors, set proper volume labels, set the disk format, or choose a character set.

If you have Microsoft's PowerToys with ISO burning support to drive XPs built-in disk burning engine, you don't need any other programs to make a bootable, slipstreamed Windows XP SP2 CD.

It's nearly idiot proof! tounge_o.gif

I installed SP2 (by mistake) last night after I pre-loaded my comp. Thought I clicked SP1 tounge_o.gif

After alot of searching I finally managed to turn that stupid security-shield completely off.

But I still get the security-BS when I double-click an installable EXE (asking if I really want to execute it and telling me how dangerous it might be blah-blah-woof-woof).

Anyone know where I can turn that off?

Other than that, WinXP works just like it used to.

From someone I know....after SP2:

hahahan1.jpg

Personally, I prefer using the Network Install package instead of Automatic Update.

If you download the entire 266MB Network Install and burn it onto a CD for safekeeping, you will never have to put up with slow or interrupted SP2 updates again. That's perfect if you have to do more than one system, which is why the Network Installer (intended for network administrators) was created in the first place. It gets you ALL the files that have changed since the original Windows XP was released to manufacturing, not just the ones you need for your particular installation.

Another great thing about the Network Install is that you can use it to create a slipstreamed Windows XP SP2 CD that you can use to install from scratch, and which won't have to be patched immediately.

Research has shown that an unpatched, unsecured (not behind an external firewall) Windows XP system that is connected to the Internet gets compromised in an average of 20 minutes, which doesn't give most people enough time to download and apply the service packs and security hotfixes that would prevent such a compromise in the first place. That's the number one reason for making a slipstreamed Windows XP SP2 CD.

Windows XP SP2 Network Install

AutoStreamer Windows XP SP2 Slipstream Creator

Funny enought that i am using the 266MB network install on my high end pc at home and guess what?

I got the same stupid error that KEVBAZ did!

isnt that sounds "Funny" to you? tounge_o.gif