Sign in to follow this  
Guest major gandhi

Making a basic Island

Guest major gandhi

Hi,

I'm trying to make an island for ofp. I already made a first concept drawing based on the Island of St.Martin:

stm.jpg

I decided to make the island with the wrpTool. But I have no idea how to make the basic island. I followed the instructions in the WRP-manual and downloaded Wilbur. I assume you have to study the 60-page manual of this program first before you're able to do anything with it.

Can someone say me which tool I can use for my project an how to? Or how to use WIlbur? (Or perhaps someone is so skilled that he could do the basic Island for me?)

thanks in advance

Well I dont use Warp tool I use Visitor.

But When I do the inital Island I create my Height maps (like the picture above) With the Gimp (GNU Immage Manipulation Program) which you can get Here. or use photo shop. I have noticed that on my win 2000 the GIMP is a little unstable though.

Any Way from there in Either program you should use a bluring filter to blurr the immage up.

Here are the before and after shots.

On a side note you should make sure and add an Alpha Channel to the immage so as to make it a 32 bit immage.

Before

ia_drang1.jpg

After Blurring

ia_drang.jpg

From there save as a TGA and the fun begins.

Next step is to get the TGA2ASE program By Kegetys. you can get it HERE but the page is not in english though the link is about two paragraphs down and works as I Dled it too make sure!

once converted all is needed is too import into visitor.

thats all I got so good luck and hope this helps

AKK

Hi,

I'm trying to make an island for ofp. I already made a first concept drawing based on the Island of St.Martin:

stm.jpg

I decided to make the island with the wrpTool. But I have no idea how to make the basic island. I followed the instructions in the WRP-manual and downloaded Wilbur. I assume you have to study the 60-page manual of this program first before you're able to do anything with it.

Can someone say me which tool I can use for my project an how to? Or how to use WIlbur? (Or perhaps someone is so skilled that he could do the basic Island for me?)

thanks in advance

Use that image as a texture in wilbur and draw lines at the coast and add mountains.

I used a real picture of Hailuoto once that even made the moutains automaticly. smile_o.gif

But AKK seems to have a better solution I see.

Quote[/b] ]But AKK seems to have a better solution I see.

hehe thanks man smile_o.gif but I dunno about that. tounge_o.gif .

I only use Visitor because Warp Tool is at present too advanced for my puny girlyman brain tounge_o.gif .

But I must say that the major advantages of working with visitor (IMHO) are:

#1 you can not only preview in Buldozer but also tweak objects or heights by hand.

#2 is that you may use objects with MLOD or ODOL formats

where you can only use ODOL formats in Warp Tool.

Guest major gandhi

thanks for your replys!

I thin AKK's solution will only work for visitor, but berghoff's asnwer sounds interesting.

(perhaps a little bit offtopic in the visitor-forum) in which format can I save my work in wilbur so that all the height information is saved too. As I saved it as normal bmp all height information was lost.

///another short question. (hope you understand it inspite of my bad englisch :=) if you change your terrain detail settings in ofp yo u get on 'high'-'very high' very hilly areas in some places. Now my querstion do you have to make this hilly areas or does the ofp engine generates them?

I only use Visitor because Warp Tool is at present too advanced for my puny girlyman brain tounge_o.gif .

I like more Visitor, especially because there is possible set random size, rotation and tilting for objects wich you are placing, so you'll place at every single click diferently looking object even when it's the same model wich is great for vegetatation. I just hate when all trees looks same, wich is typical result of using WRPTool. Also in Visitor works copy/paste, so filling of island with trees or grass is way faster, easier AND way better looking smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ] if you change your terrain detail settings in ofp yo u get on 'high'-'very high' very hilly areas in some places. Now my querstion do you have to make this hilly areas or does the ofp engine generates them?

OFP does it for you.

I like more Visitor, especially because there is possible set random size, rotation and tilting for objects wich you are placing, so you'll place at every single click diferently looking object even when it's the same model wich is great for vegetatation. I just hate when all trees looks same, wich is typical result of using WRPTool. Also in Visitor works copy/paste, so filling of island with trees or grass is way faster, easier AND way better looking smile_o.gif

With the right knowledge of wrptool you can make objects appear as different as you want to. You also have a tool with which you can fill vast areas at once with different kinds of vegatation.

I don't think there is much difference between the two tools, besides the way the handle with things.