Sign in to follow this  
MilitiaSniper

Has OFP Gone As Far

Is OFP Gone As Far As It Can Go?

Sometimes, I think so.

But then people come out with a great Mod like, "FDF!"

Or, "Combat" with those great vehicle addons.

I also see a repeat of the same things.

Bottom line is... "Do you feel that OFP has gone as it can go?"

Sincerely, MilitiaSniper

Vote BUSH 04'

unclesam.gifunclesam.gifunclesam.gifunclesam.gif

We're definitely at or very near to the limits of what the engine can sensibly achieve.

If you clevar people can get multiple weapons on vehicles working I think that will be about it for miracles worked.

I think that OFP1 will be around for quite a long time. Even as the game itself gets old, new addons and mods will always keep popping out. This will keep new players from always getting hooked, and it will keep old players coming back.

It seems that almost every other day someone comes out with another breakthrough, either by making a new addon that has never been done before, or by completely opening a whole new category such as the reflective water DXDLL by Kegetys. And I'm sure there are many things possible that have never been thought of, or just waiting for the right person to come along and solve it.

This game has already gone farther than any other combat simulation on the market, ever. Until another game comes along that even compares to it (like OFP2), then this game will remain active with new breakthroughs happening for a while still.

Until recently, most people would have told you that graphical enhancements like found in the DXDLL mod, were totally out of the question for OFP. So... Who knows what else might be possible. smile_o.gif

And that being said, there also still isn't any other game that can compete at all levels with OFP. Look at what a big disappointment Soldner turned out to be. Some folks thought that was going to surpass OFP.

DON'T Vote Bush '04

Let's just say new things will be introduced to OFP1 long enough until OFP2 is released.

Then we have a whole new game to experiment with.

I would have said yes.....then Kegs goes and makes something astonishing wink_o.gif Seriously though I don't think it has gone all that far in terms of missions/campaigns....it's only gone a long way in terms of addons/scripting.

Heck, we've got submarines, aircraft carriers, helicopters that allow roping, huge transport aircraft that can haul tanks in them, we're gonna have trains!!! Plus the plethora of stuff variations of units, tanks cars, motorbikes, planes and choppers... we've got nice scenery, sky and water modifications, heck Kegetys even brought OFP to the 21st century with his reflective water!!!

And the best of it is that supposedly, none of it will get lost or ever have been in vain cos we'll be able to use all or most of that in OFP 2!!! biggrin_o.gif

I know it's a contentious issue and I wouldn't want any of the people making stuff for OFP to feel that I am disrespecting them in any way (because there is some superb stuff coming out now and in the future), but wasn't part of the reason BAS left because they were reaching the limits of what they could achieve with scripting for their SEAL pack?

That says something to me.

Still I am prepared to be amazed again like I have been before.

OFP has probably lasted longer on my hard disk than any other game and that surely must have something to do with the new content that keeps coming out for it.

Agree with Leone, it is time for mission editing to take place, there is very few well done missions.

I know it's a contentious issue and I wouldn't want any of the people making stuff for OFP to feel that I am disrespecting them in any way (because there is some superb stuff coming out now and in the future), but wasn't part of the reason BAS left because they were reaching the limits of what they could achieve with scripting for their SEAL pack?

That says something to me.

Still I am prepared to be amazed again like I have been before.

OFP has probably lasted longer on my hard disk than any other game and that surely must have something to do with the new content that keeps coming out for it.

answer is a yes and no

if from the part of script BAS want to make, then yes, BAS "nearly" reach the engine limit for their mod, i said it nearly, because they still dont acturally reach it, they just dont have the strangth to perfect the script(and they do need/ deserve their holiday till OFP2 comes), this lead to a no in my answer.

there is still many things that we could do in ofp while no one think about it b4, half of them may get a try, and half of these would acturally go into players hand, which means: there is still lots of things to do m8 smile_o.gif

Drop Bush @ 04'

ghostface.gif  ghostface.gif  ghostface.gif  ghostface.gif

OFP is pretty versatile when it comes to scripting but it does have its limits, especially when it comes to MP playing. Some things just cannot made to work properly both in SP and MP, no matter what you try. And my opinion (also shared by FDF team) is that if feature won't work in MP, it's not worth it.

Keg i think is one of the dudes who really hit a point in OFP recently with that one file that he made.  Its just amazing, even though it doesn't work on my computer.  

But it proves you're probably able to do alot more with ofp, possibly even creating more then one gunners position, with ofp you never know.

I wouldn't be surprised if we advance so much more in OFP1 before OFP2 gets here.....

~Bmg

Vote Kerry in '04 ....guess wat, i'm actually voting for him too ya lil MilitiaSniper lil kid  crazy_o.gif .....SPETZNATZ, SHOOT BUSH!!!  blues.gif  blues.gif

but wasn't part of the reason BAS left because they were reaching the limits of what they could achieve with scripting for their SEAL pack?

It could be but i have big doubts about that, they just lost one or more of its members and decided to quit. I think it has nothing to do with OPF's engine limitations. Still great stuff is being made and if gaming media would pay more atention to addons and mods OPF would still shine, example: VBS1 isnt much more than a standalone mod and looks very good tounge_o.gif .

Has OFP gone as far as it can go?

My opinion is no,there isn't a complete set of for example:

Complete WW2 Pacific Addons,or even complete WW2 Planes.

I'd like every plane if OFP.Theres hardly many civilian planes.So many addons still can be made.There isn't hardly any animals yet either.

Has it gone to its limits: There are still achievements that can be done,but like Bas (and I) think that why spend hours,months,days on something that surely will be part of OFP2.Ofp2 will open up new limits to break,and the addons will be much nicer.You can spend alot of time breaking limits,I know this from experience.

Missions: There isn't as many missions as there are addons,certainly not,and many achievements can be made with missions,why haven't people done more of this I don't know.But I remember this when OFP first came out I collected oodles of missions,it was very frustrating.

Alot had hardly any description as to whether they were mp or sp,which version required,which addons were required,type of gameplay,some just totally sucked and alot were the same ol.That got old fast.

I used to spend whole nights trying out missions,hardly ever found many that grasped my attention.I started making my own and just worked on that forever,RTS style,it enhanced my scripting skills and I moved on.

Gone far?rock.gif??

Lolololol!!!!!!!!!!!! HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!

There is still so much versitality to ofp1 engine and so much u could do with it...sigh..if only more would give it a try, work at it and share ideas ( no idea is a foolish idea..cos u moved ur brains tissue..foolish ones are those that set limits to themselves), we are still a long way to milking the engine dry.

I do agree that the only limit to ofp are the missions..we have top notch addon mod makers but i cant say the same for mission makers( to be fair,no one is perfect and they are really trying their best and some are really fun and realistic, thanks to them for their efforts, for mission making is not easy), sure would love to play a section patrol in vietnam, capture of arab terrorists in iraq, bomb out a bridge and get chased by enemy fighters, sabotage an enemy HQ, etc..perhaps we need some experienced military personnel to share their military experiences to plan realistic missions - from old viet vets to fresh bomb scarred iraq returnees and throw in a few ex spies or FBI?

PS:- example of limitations: many say handheld flashlight not possible - true but can we twist the idea a bit and think of the fireworks created by a genius team.. perhaps we can try to combine that into an addon and if it fails, there may be other ways   wink_o.gif

OFP still has lots of life in it. A year and a half ago people said Animals were imposible to do. Now we have Chickens, Mules, and a dog.

Nothin is imposible in OFP as is say wink_o.gif

BUZZARD @ July 17 2004,13:07)]Heck, we've got submarines, aircraft carriers, helicopters that allow roping, huge transport aircraft that can haul tanks in them, we're gonna have trains!!! Plus the plethora of stuff variations of units, tanks cars, motorbikes, planes and choppers... we've got nice scenery, sky and water modifications, heck Kegetys even brought OFP to the 21st century with his reflective water!!!

And the best of it is that supposedly, none of it will get lost or ever have been in vain cos we'll be able to use all or most of that in OFP 2!!!  biggrin_o.gif

thers planes in ofp that can haul tanks ?where do u find that plz tell me smile_o.gif

Hmm... The OFP gone far... blah blah blah... Really a nice game... blah blah blah... I like OFP... blah blah blah... Nothing goes far... blah blah blah... So far, ofp is still going... blah blah blah... Yes, I'm writing it to stay on topic... blah blah blah... Because the real subtopic of this thread... blah blah blah... Is the little sentence by the end of most posts... blah blah blah... And I must write down my opinion too... blah blah blah... So... it is...:

Whatever is going on, don't vote for the idiot :]

No, OFP still has plenty of breathing room. I'll start worrying once we have a complete set of US & Russian troops + weapons + ground vehicles + aircraft.

unclesam.gif Vote Badnarik in '04 unclesam.gif

No offense.

But I'm tired of fighting Russian Forces.

I personally like the Russians. (Politics Aside.)

I want to fight others stuff. LOL!

I like playing some WW2. Sometimes I play as Germans. And sometimes I play as an American. I also play as Russians sometimes.

And I am an American, living in Panama City, Fl. USA.

But I'm sick of downloading 20 million new AK-74's or M4's.

Or... You get the point.

Sometimes it's hard to put political feelings aside.

So I have trouble with myself to download certain addons. That may make the OFP experience for me better.

But.., I think sometimes we are shorting ourselves of what we can do. Then addons like the Water Reflections come out. And it blows me away.

I like to see different things. Even if I don't use them. (Example: Star Wars, StarShip Troopers, Biker Gangs, and etc.)

I like to see these. But I'm tired of seeing the same thing.

Maybe it's me.

But that's why I stated this topic.

Sincerely, MilitiaSniper

"OFF the WALL Team"

I think OFP has done as much as it can. Yes. To be honest.

I think right now it's just a perpetual cycle of "who can crank out the most ridiculously high detail addons".

So it's basically in my opinion addonmakers engaging in an e-pissing contest with other addonmakers. Since I'm not benefitting from this at all. I say it's a bad thing.

No, OFP1 certainly hasn't reached it's full limit yet. We still have yet to have released a working AC-130, LCAC, and more. CoC is still working, and UA 1.1 looks very promising. And the Unsung are working on a couple things that would surprise you tounge_o.gif

Vote '04

No offense.

But I'm tired of fighting Russian Forces.

I personally like the Russians. (Politics Aside.)

I want to fight others stuff. LOL!

I like playing some WW2. Sometimes I play as Germans. And sometimes I play as an American. I also play as Russians sometimes.

And I am an American, living in Panama City, Fl. USA.

But I'm sick of downloading 20 million new AK-74's or M4's.

Or... You get the point.

Sometimes it's hard to put political feelings aside.

So I have trouble with myself to download certain addons. That may make the OFP experience for me better.

But.., I think sometimes we are shorting ourselves of what we can do. Then addons like the Water Reflections come out. And it blows me away.

I like to see different things. Even if I don't use them. (Example: Star Wars, StarShip Troopers, Biker Gangs, and etc.)

I like to see these. But I'm tired of seeing the same thing.

Maybe it's me.

But that's why I stated this topic.

Sincerely, MilitiaSniper

"OFF the WALL Team"

unclesam.gif  unclesam.gif  unclesam.gifunclesam.gif

well I like fighting russian forces mainly do to that they have some of the worlds most sufisticated weapons outside NATO.

And so what if there is alot of repeats they are usualy(depend on the thing) better than the older and it keeps foks working.

And if you want to fight other stuff then there is plenty of chances you can play US vs US if you want maby some are caloled west and some east but thats how OFP is build to be a game where you fight the evil Russian general Guba.

Has it reached its limits I think no cause I have now been playing this game since the begining and I have been surprised so meany times of what peoples have complised and as it dosent seem that people have stoped developing the game there are problery things that can be made which we just dident think about.

STGN