Sign in to follow this  
Planck

Curved Bridges

Have you ever been putting bridges on your island, or in your mission and wished you had a curved section, or a sloped section?

Well, now you can.

I have made 3 bridge sections, based on, and compatible with the original Resistance bridge section by BIS.

These sections use the same textures as the original, so no additional textures are needed.

The 3 sections are:

A bridge section with a 5 degree slope.

A bridge section, 50 metres long with a 10 degree turn.

A bridge section, 50 metres long with a 10 degree turn.

The three p3d files have been binarised so that WrpEditors can place them on their islands should they wish.

More info is in the Readme file included with the addon.

As I don't have a place to host this, I have uploaded it to OFPEC Addons Depot in the pending area.

Anyone who wants it will have to get it from there or wait till it has been tested by OFPEC Addon Depot staff.

It is not a big download......The zip file I uploaded was only 177 kb.

Anyway hope someone finds good uses for them, they can be good for raised road sections (motorways, freeways, autobahns etc etc), as well as bridges.

Planck

Well we cant cross a river without a bridge and with all this water mania we will hopefully see these in some new islands, being that small download it could even be delivered with the custom island, do you have any pics? smile_o.gif .

Good Job Planck... you've helped me many a time. I recently was thinking about this very thing and now we have it. Any pics of it btw? Also I take it the sloped sections will follow the shape of the terrain?

Well Waterman the idea behind the sloped section is to alleviate the need to alter the terrain height at the ends of the bridge.

In effect the bridge slopes down (or up) to meet the land.

It is only a 5 degree slope, I didn't want it too steep.

The sloped section is basically the original bridge section but with the roadway sloped at 5 degrees.

I haven't worked out how to post pictures here yet, anyway, I'll try my best.

Planck

Please post some screens smile_o.gif That already posted wont work for me. If you dont have an website, you can send them to me, and i will post them on our site. BTW, where is an download link?

looking good! hope these will be used in some future islands smile_o.gif i know a bridge between denmark and sweden that is a bit curved i think biggrin_o.gif

do the lights work?

LOL, I have NEVER seen a bridge with working lights in OFP so far... already asked Operation Black Burned Steel's Snake to see if he could implement that in a next release of his beautiful New Hawkland Island, I hope he'll do it cuz as you can see, that island is bridge-rich! wink_o.gif

Hey Planck

These appear to have come at the perfect time as this is just what i needed for my new island.

I gotta problem tho.

I have put them in my island using WRP Tool and im gettein a loading error(magic) when i load my island.

I have tried placing pbo in normal addons folder and res addons folder to no avail .... any ideas crazy_o.gif

Hmmm...A sloped bridge...Bit odd

But liking the curved sections.

Hello all....

Firstly....

@Metalmalte

The lights do not work, these bridges are to all intents and purposes the same as the original as far as lights are concerned.

I doubt it is possible to have both lights working, as a model seems capable of only having one memory point 'light', and this is only if it is using simulation for streetlight.

I might try and see if I can get one or both working,,,we will see.

@Counterforce

The AI can use the bridges.

However, they have the same problems that they have with the original bridge section.

Jeeps and trucks go across with hardly any bother at all.

Soldiers have some problems, usually if you place them into 'safe' mode and 'column' formation they will go across, but sometimes they still have problems.

Armour units are the worst at crossing bridges, and will often refuse to cross at all, or will cross one way but not the other.

These problems the original bridge has also.

I don't actually think it is a problem with the bridges, I think it depends on the terrain the bridge is sitting on.

I have found though that I need to make the terrain that the bridge sits on as type 'roadway', failure to do this usually means the AI will all refuse to cross the bridge.

This is easy to do in WrpEdit, but I don't know if you can do this in WrpTool or Visitor.

@Wedge

Sorry to hear about your problem.

As I can't use WrpTool I can't really help much in that respect.

I have placed my PBO of this addon in my normal Addons folder and it works fine for me.

I placed a bridge from Malden to the Training Island on a copy of abel.wrp using WrpEdit and everything works ok.

This is in fact the bridge you see in the pictures Pappy Boyington posted above.

@Shashman

The reasoning behind the sloped bridge section is, as explained above, to mostly obviate the need to raise or lower terrain at either bridge end by too much.

Instead of raising the land to meet the bridge end, you can make the bridge 'ramp' down (or up) to meet the land.

Is anyone else having problems when placing these sections on their island?

Thanks for the feedback peeps.

Planck

you know what OFP needs now in terms of island makeing?

Opening Bridge

bigger then that thou. . thats jsut to show what i mean. . there should be 2 sections like this

_/        \_

with ships like the LSD, klinks fishing boats, and other large ship addons arent able to fit under most bridges on some custom islands. if we had anopening bridge like that with a lil control booth and controlable via action menu (and easily set up by trigger too) we could finnaly taxi cargo, supplies, and casual boats on thru  smile_o.gif

Opening Bridge

bigger then that thou. . thats jsut to show what i mean. . there should be 2 sections like this

_/        \_

with ships like the LSD, klinks fishing boats, and other large ship addons arent able to fit under most bridges on some custom islands. if we had anopening bridge like that with a lil control booth and controlable via action menu (and easily set up by trigger too) we could finnaly taxi cargo, supplies, and casual boats on thru  smile_o.gif

the problem is that the road config do not support it

yet another engine limit

(yes you heard that right, its not just a normal OFP limit which may break through)

Opening Bridge

_/        \_

the problem is that the road config do not support it

yet another engine limit

(yes you heard that right, its not just a normal OFP limit which may break through)

meaning it would work for the player but the AI wouldnt touch it?

sad_o.gif damn

it was stated before about why AI wont use it.

half the time the AI wont use the default bridge so. .yea sad_o.gif

but its fun as hell to jump this as it goes up biggrin_o.gif