Sign in to follow this  
SpeedyDonkey

Two questions

No. I don't take my shoes off until im about to go to sleep and I'm a black male if that has anything to do with it.

Have I ever printed anything from this forum? No. Nothing from this forum has ever struck me as important enough to print.

1) Where I live noone takes off his shoes. We often say it is for "Spießer mit Birkenstock und Weißen Socken". In other words for the low-taste people with white socks and sandals.

I hate taking off my shoes, it is kind of my ideology. I hate people running around in socks, I rather put on my sneakers or walk barefeet (is that the word?). The floor in a house is supposed to get dirty and I am supposed to clean it FULLSTOP. Same with guests, I dont ask anyone to take off his/her shoes... I think it is a sign of being stingy, un-male, boring ... I JUST HATE IT, I pay more attention to humans than to objects, I rather try to earn more money and buy a new carpet once in while than keeping it white for 100 years. And I hate people who take off their shoes in the train or plane...    mad_o.gif  

Asking a girl that visits you to take off her shoes? tssss NEVER

2. I often transformed some good threads into pdf. AND I often quoted comments posted here in other forums. After all it is a good brainstorm we do here.

Interesting answers so far! This kind of confirms what I heard from the other sources.

I was under the impression that fitted carpet (is that what it's called?) is more common in North America. This in conjunction with the habits of walking indoors would seem a little unhygienic to someone, who's virtually never uses their shoes indoors.

Two different cultures baby..  smile_o.gif

Interesting answers so far! This kind of confirms what I heard from the other sources.

I was under the impression that fitted carpet (is that what it's called?) is more common in North America. This in conjunction with the habits of walking indoors would seem a little unhygienic to someone, who's virtually never uses their shoes indoors.

Two different cultures baby..  smile_o.gif

When I look for a new appartment I always look for a good wodden floor in a renovated old building. Carpet ? Thumbs down!

Oh hell, you got my intolerant spot with this thread biggrin_o.gif

Albert, it's quite the contrary over here. Walking into someone’s house (or your own for that matter) would not be seen as a very "male" thing to do. Doing that would be unsophisticated and rude over here.

smile_o.gif

1) Do you take your shoes off instantly when you get home? (I heard that some North Americans don?t but this obviously varies a lot)

2) Have you ever printed anything from this forum (like a topic or something?)

Now answer those questions.

1) Depends. Most of the time I do, especially when work is over, and sometimes I don't.

2) Ehh....no.

1. Fitted carpetting is called wall-to-wall carpetting in the US.

2. The only homes I know of where you MUST remove your shoes are those with very "sensitive" wood inlaid flooring or unique carpetting that cannot easily be cleaned.

3. To me, this sounds like a terribly imposing habit on guests. It reminds me of one episode of Keeping Up Appearances, where Hyacinth Bucket (that's bee-you-see-kay-ee-tee) made a repairman remove his shoes before walking in over her new parquet floor.

Quote[/b] ]3. To me, this sounds like a terribly imposing habit on guests. It reminds me of one episode of Keeping Up Appearances, where Hyacinth Bucket (that's bee-you-see-kay-ee-tee) made a repairman remove his shoes before walking in over her new parquet floor.

hehe yeah, repairmen are an exception. wink_o.gif

First of all, i live in Belgium, Central Europe that is...

1) Well... sometimes i keep my shoes on (when they aren't dirty of course), sometimes i walk around in my socks, and sometimes i don't wear socks. I just do whatever i feel like doing, my parents don't really care as long as i don't make the house all dirty.

When i go to someone else's house i always take my shoes off, just out of respect. When they say that i can keep my shoes on i usually keep them on.

So basically, i do whatever i feel like doing biggrin_o.gif

2) Nope

/avon has nightmares thinking of all the sock darning to do for the family had we lived in europe

/avon has nightmares thinking of all the sock darning to do for the family had we lived in europe

I bet you prefer....

SLIPPEEEEERS

dirty_sock.jpg

Just check out those whiiiiiite socks!!!!

1) Take em off when I get into my bedroom or they vanish off the face of the earth.

Should mention I normally head straight for the kettle and make a coffee the second I walk in the door before I go anywhere or do anything. And it hurts kicking my dogs barefoot, the little S.O.Bs.... tounge_o.gif

1) Where I live noone takes off his shoes. We often say it is for "Spießer mit Birkenstock und Weißen Socken". In other words for the low-taste people with white socks and sandals.

I hate taking off my shoes, it is kind of my ideology. I hate people running around in socks, I rather put on my sneakers or walk barefeet (is that the word?). The floor in a house is supposed to get dirty and I am supposed to clean it FULLSTOP. Same with guests, I dont ask anyone to take off his/her shoes... I think it is a sign of being stingy, un-male, boring ... I JUST HATE IT, I pay more attention to humans than to objects, I rather try to earn more money and buy a new carpet once in while than keeping it white for 100 years. And I hate people who take off their shoes in the train or plane...    mad_o.gif  

Interesting. Here it's quite the opposite. It would be seen as very rude and uncivilized not to take of your shoes, especially when entering another person's house.

Interesting. Here it's quite the opposite. It would be seen as very rude and uncivilized not to take of your shoes, especially when entering another person's house.

Do you live in Corea or Japan? biggrin_o.gif

Oh and lets not forget that in sweden people might have snow under their shoes too, that is a different thing! tounge_o.gif

Same with guests, I dont ask anyone to take off his/her shoes... I think it is a sign of being stingy, un-male, boring ... I JUST HATE IT, I pay more attention to humans than to objects, I rather try to earn more money and buy a new carpet once in while than keeping it white for 100 years. And I hate people who take off their shoes in the train or plane...    mad_o.gif  

Why? Is that not because the home owner expects it of you? Isn't that the source of the custom?

Oh and lets not forget that in sweden people might have snow under their shoes too, that is a different thing!  tounge_o.gif

Not to mention all that reindeer poop that must be lying around. biggrin_o.gif

1.: My work shoes ,yes.But No I don't always take my shoes off when I get home,especially If I plan on leaving again soon.

2.) Never printed anything from the forums that I recall,but I have saved oodles of messages that have information in them.I have a whole directory of saved messages,mainly editing stuff

How do you do with carpets? I have a Persian one in the middle of my living room, and I don't think it would be too fond of me walking on it with shoes.

Also parquet floor + water (snow) = not good, I think.

How often do you vacuum or clean the floors? My normal frequency is once a week.

Okay, if you have a carpet in your home, well I think it might be a different story. But for someone who grew up with wodden and stone floor that isnt much of an issue.

Certainly, I dont put my shoes on the sofa nor would I let my dog sleep there or in my bed.

I just think it is so much more important to welcome a girl with "you are wearing beautiful shoes" than with "could you please take of your dirty street-shoes".

In my parents home we had relatively sensitive floor made of a rather costly rainforrest wood, slender sharp shoes for women would harm it pretty badly, still we never asked anyone to take them off.  

Shoes are an important part of our clothing, some people feel naked without their shoes, or that they have been robbed their most important accessoire.

Honnestly, I dont like carpets too much. And if I would buy them in a dark color anyway.. but usually I prefer a nice old wodden floor in a renovated old house. That is what I have right now and all I gotta do is hoover, wipe and now and then give it some special treatment.

Quote[/b] ]If it's really bad weather outside, our guests give their feet a good wipe on the super durable door mat outside of our door

Thats the way to go. A big mat and people know their duty.

How do you do with carpets? I have a Persian one in the middle of my living room, and I don't think it would be too fond of me walking on it with shoes.

Also parquet floor + water (snow) = not good, I think.

How often do you vacuum or clean the floors? My normal frequency is once a week.

Our wall-to-wall carpeting is in the bedrooms. Vacuuming is once or twice a week. They never look dirty and they only need a rug shampoo once in a while.

My parents have had a gigantic antique Persian rug for over 50 years. Except for the weekly vaccum and the once in two years professional clean, it looks just great in the interum.

I have a feeling they don't make rugs like they used to. We had a small Chinese wool rug that wore down a bit after 15 or so years of us, kids, guests and parties. So we did the obvious: went out a bought a new rug. This one's a designer piece and is actually holding up better than the Chinese did.

Many modern parquet floors are a problem, even without water problems. I might consider a real parquet floor in my golden years. It is super impractical unless you drive your household and guests nuts.

If it's really bad weather outside, our guests give their feet a good wipe on the super durable door mat outside of our door. Unless we're talking about dripping all over the place or actual mud, I welcome my guests in and will clean up when they leave, which I have to do anyway, depending on what hors doeuvres they've dropped on the floor. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I just think it is so much more important to welcome a girl with "you are wearing beautiful shoes" than with "could you please take of your dirty street-shoes".

In my parents home we had relatively sensitive floor made of a rather costly rainforrest wood, slender sharp shoes for women would harm it pretty badly, still we never asked anyone to take them off.  

I think most Swedes would not complain out loud if someone would walk inside their house with shoes But they would probably feel uncomfortable with it anyway.