Sign in to follow this  
Hit_Sqd_Maximus

Former president ronald reagan dies

I know the guy that was the head of the Secret Service Advance Team for Reagan here in California, and he practically didn't sleep between Friday and yesterday.

And yes, the honor guard changes every 30 minutes. There is a contingent of 60 guards from all branches of the military.

Quote[/b] ]Imagine how Nancy feels. Hasn't had a moment to herself since.

It is really hard for people to take care of people with that disease. Probably a part of her is "glad" that he died so he will not suffer no more. imho

Is the coffin airc onditioned or something?

I sure as hell hope not for everyone within a few metres of that oven...

Lol, my friends and I were watching the boring thing,

and my friend kept saying "oo that girl is hot, oo look at that girl!"

And my friend said

"Dude, what is your problem!! This is Ronal Regans death! Not dead presidents gone wild DVD"

LMAO, was hilarious at the time.

Watching the procession yesterday, seeing Nancy trying to put her best foot forward to return the thanks and not get ovewhelmed by the magnitude of the process, it was awesome.

In the middle of it, my 10 year old sister who has a TV problem (repeatedly grounded for backtalking when she goes too long) barged in during one of the transfers of the casket. She started screaming that it was time for her cartoons, and that nobody cares about that dumb thing - that I've already watched too much of it (15 minutes of the loading at Mugu). I told her to shut up and if she didn't I wouldn't take her to Harry Potter this weekend like I've been volunteered to do. That only got her madder and she took off screaming about 'good riddence to some old dead guy.' sad_o.gifsad_o.gifsad_o.gif

Amidst all the commentating and pundification, very little time has been spent noting how that Thatcher and Gorbachev are both attending the services as free citizens. I remember the sign on the wall by the door of my first grade classroom in Florida in 1986 with the different alarm siren codes, including air raid, and wondering what that was all about. Sometimes we could just barely see the Space Shuttle contrail, I can't remember if I saw Challenger's, but I know I was watching the TV.

I was just a little kid at the time, in diapers for much of it, and consequently didn't know much about stuff then. Now that I have a chance to go back and learn about what was going on, I just want to say thank you.

Quote[/b] ]It is really hard for people to take care of people with that disease. Probably a part of her is "glad" that he died so he will not suffer no more. imho

Indeed. There must be a level of relief involved while at the same time overwhelming grief. They may have "said their goodbyes" but still, to see your loved one pass on is tough.

I just hope that they let her be after the State duties are over. She must need timewith herself, at least just to unburden.

Quote[/b] ]Lol, my friends and I were watching the boring thing,

Some people feel uncomfortable with their emotions, especially at times like funerals. Try to seem "cool" type thing and not a "wuss".

Quote[/b] ]She started screaming that it was time for her cartoons, and that nobody cares about that dumb thing - that I've already watched too much of it (15 minutes of the loading at Mugu). I told her to shut up and if she didn't I wouldn't take her to Harry Potter this weekend like I've been volunteered to do. That only got her madder and she took off screaming about 'good riddence to some old dead guy.'

Kids have no concept. Not much you can do about it. Just remember, when she grows up and has some comprehension of such events, you can rub it in her face how childish she was! biggrin_o.gif

Indeed. There must be a level of relief involved while at the same time overwhelming grief. They may have "said their goodbyes" but still, to see your loved one pass on is tough.

I just hope that they let her be after the State duties are over. She must need timewith herself, at least just to unburden.

I remember my grandfathers last few years. Seeing someone who you have looked up to for all those years come to that is not nice. I can only imagine how bad it must be if its the person you have loved in a partner kind of way for 70ish years. This must be really hard on nancy. I remember her speech at the conservative convention about ronald saying at the previous one that that was pbb his last one. I think she said that "Ronald has finally been taken to a place where not even i can reach him". You can only try and imagine the pain behind that sad_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Lol, my friends and I were watching the boring thing,

Some people feel uncomfortable with their emotions, especially at times like funerals. Try to seem "cool" type thing and not a "wuss".

Others are just totally addicted to sex...

Quote[/b] ]In the middle of it, my 10 year old sister who has a TV problem (repeatedly grounded for backtalking when she goes too long) barged in during one of the transfers of the casket. She started screaming that it was time for her cartoons, and that nobody cares about that dumb thing - that I've already watched too much of it (15 minutes of the loading at Mugu). I told her to shut up and if she didn't I wouldn't take her to Harry Potter this weekend like I've been volunteered to do. That only got her madder and she took off screaming about 'good riddence to some old dead' guy.'

Ooo how I feel your pain (7 and 9 year old siblings).....One day, hopefully, she'll learn how important this man was.....and remember.....

I think without Regan those Soviets would have nuked us all to New Jersey

At a memorial service, a speaker (former Reagan aide) said he had contacted Václav Havel's office for comment. His office said that Václav Havel had been all over the Czech media, but had not recieved one call for comment from any US media. GoogleNews only returns ~185 hits, the vast majority of them about the EU vote situation. Anybody here (who follows, understands Czech) able to confirm this?

- edit -

Today is the 17th anniversary of "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"

http://money.cnn.com/2004/06/22/news/reagandimedead/index.htm?cnn=yes

Quote[/b] ]NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Of all the ways being considered to honor Ronald Reagan, the push to put his face on the dime -- replacing that of Franklin Roosevelt -- is "pretty much dead," said Jim LaFemina, press secretary for the U.S. Mint.

Legislation to put Reagan on the dime was first introduced last November by Mark Souder, a Republican Representative from Indiana, and gained renewed attention after the 40th president passed away earlier this month.

There are two ways an American's face can wind up on a coin or currency, LaFemina said. One is for Congress to pass a bill. The second is for the Secretary of the Treasury to make an administrative decision to do it. The Secretary can make a change to each coin once within a 25-year period.

In practice, however, Treasury Secretaries almost never make such decisions without a nod from Congress, said LaFemina.

Nancy Reagan issued a press statement against the Reagan dime last December. "I do not support this proposal and I am certain Ronnie would not," the statement read. "When our country chooses to honor a great president such as Franklin Roosevelt by placing his likeness on our currency, it would be wrong to remove him."

With that sentiment in mind, Souder had put the legislation on the back burner and has decided not to pursue it even when the idea was resurrected after Reagan's death, according to the Souder press secretary Mark Green.

Honors committee

Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist this month appointed a four-member group of Senators to determine the best ways to honor Reagan. They will present recommendations to Frist in mid-July.

The four are expected to push for putting Reagan on the $10 bill. Senator Mitch McConnell, a member of the group, could not be reached to confirm this and a spokeperson for Senator Ted Stevens, another member, refused to comment on what the recommendations would be.

Grover Norquist, president of the Ronald Reagan Legacy Project and an influential conservative activist, said he is still urging the four to consider putting Reagan on half the dimes minted every year.

Norquist indicated that possibility could be used for leverage should Congressional Democrats balk at the Reagan ten. "Congressional Democrats have threatened to filibuster any Reagan ten-dollar bill legislation," Norquist said. If they do, Norquist said conservatives might argue again for the Reagan dime, which would be a direct assault on FDR, an icon of the Democratic party.

Some Democrats have reacted to even the slim chance that FDR would lose half his place on the dime, as well as the half-dollar coin, featuring John Kennedy, with measured criticism.

Jennifer Petty, executive director of the Democrats for America's Future, a grassroots organization that counts former Clinton political guru James Carville, ex-Secretary of Labor Robert Reich, and former Senator Carol Mosely Braun on its advisory board, says her group has "no problem honoring President Reagan. But FDR and JFK are important figures in American history and we don't think it's fair to erase their legacy."

The group has taken no position on the Reagan ten.

The official response from the Democratic National Committee to both the Reagan ten and the dime proposals, according to Jano Cabrera, a spokesperson for the DNC, is that Reagan should be honored in some way, but just how is being debated in Congress and the Democrats "will defer to our lawmakers" on what would be most appropriate.

A Reagan $10 bill would displace Alexander Hamilton, the Federal era founder of the U.S. banking system, who has no connections to either of the two current major political parties (except that he was killed by a Democrat, Aaron Burr). Representative Souder has switched his support to the Reagan ten. He believes, "There's a real possibility of reaching a bipartisan consensus on that," Green said.

In addition to the $10 bill, other possibilities being considered by the Senate committee reportedly include a commemorative coin and a medal to those who champion international peace. The postal service announced on June 16, that it would issue a Reagan stamp early next year.

I really don't mind commemorative ones, but permanently changing is not good IMO.