Sign in to follow this  
Badgerboy

D day remembrance

"faire des erreurs est humain mais pardonner est divin"

If I am correct, that means: To err is to be human but to forgive is divine.

Am I right?

i still feel and probally always feel that the 6th of june D-Day rememberence should be for the allied soldiers and them alone, not aboutpresent politics ie inviting the german chancellor just because the french and the germans are best buds now.

We fought three wars against the germans in the past 140 years (2 over trivial motives), I think it was time to prevent this from happenng again right after the Second World War.

Nowadays, most French towns are twinned with German towns, we have a Franco-German military brigade which is 5000 men strong and has served on several operation theaters in the past decade and there are a lot of bi-national initiatives and programs ongoing.

The German and French populations have built really strong bonds over the years. The German people has been forgiven a long time ago mainly since different times call for and require different behaviours.

"faire des erreurs est humain mais pardonner est divin"

If I am correct, that means: To err is to be human but to forgive is divine.

Am I right?

to make mistakes is human, but to forgive is divine

i still feel and probally always feel that the 6th of june D-Day rememberence should be for the allied soldiers and them alone, not aboutpresent politics ie inviting the german chancellor just because the french and the germans are best buds now.

That's your opinion.

One should not forget the German soldiers who have been slaughtered at Falaise, but that's just an exemple, the Germans have suffered just like all the other people involved in WW2, the 6th of june 1944 is for them too a date to remember, the beginning (or more like the continuation of the beginning) of the end of the Nazi totalitarism and of Hitler and his nauseous ideas and deeds. It was one more step toward freedom for the German people...

The presency of the German chancellor at the occasion of the 60th anniversary of the D-Day is the result of a long process which started in the immediate afternath of the war when French troops occupied a part of Germany and went on in the following decades with the action of both French and German leaders (West german ones until the 1990's).

There's much more than this political buddying behind the presency of Schroeder, but unless you have a step in Europe and more specifically in France and Germany, you can't understand that.

yes i know germans died on the beaches but the rememberence day is for the allied soldiers and the chancellor imho has no place there, he can say all he wants from germany.

yes i know germans died on the beaches but the rememberence day is for the allied soldiers and the chancellor imho has no place there, he can say all he wants from germany.

could you explain me in what makes this rememberance day reserved to the allied soldiers ?

The ambassadors of Germany, Italy, and Japan took place in D-Day ceremonies at the Canadian National War memorial yesterday. The war's over MLF, people on all sides fought and died, and they all deserve to be respected.

suffering and heroism know no borders

could you explain me in what makes this rememberance day reserved to the allied soldiers ?

because it comemorated the Allied landings on D-Day of allied soldiers, i just feel it's something for the allied forces, i don't know why we have to encompase everyone, i feel and many veterans feel that it should just be for the allied soldiers, yea it maybe selfish but thats the way i feel, i in no way am trying to take anything away from the german soldiers i just feel that it should be just for the allies.

because it comemorated the Allied landings on D-Day of allied soldiers, i just feel it's something for the allied forces, i don't know why we have to encompase everyone, i feel and many veterans feel that it should just be for the allied soldiers, yea it maybe selfish but thats the way i feel, i in no way am trying to take anything away from the german soldiers i just feel that it should be just for the allies.

Didn't you invite french to the celebration of Trafalgar british victory ?

I think the German chancellor being there really symbolizes Europe today, a desire for peace and understanding after roughly a millennia of war and suffering.

The german chancellor was there to honor the allied soldiers that fell during D-day, I am sure of it.

so albert you feel that it should just be allied (former) heads of state at an event dedicated to the allied soldiers who liberated France and europe?

hmmm YES!

I think it looks somewhat silly to invite the german cancelor. And to spread the message "you liberated germany too" one does not need to attend the celebration ceremony of former opponents.

I thought the celebration was not only about the event itself, but also about people uniting to rid the world of an evil regime. I find it fitting that any and all allies of France were invited. Excluding people is never a good thing, especially not when including them doesnt take anything away from what ever it is you plan on doing. In this case it was the celebration of an alliance that freed Europe of an evil dictatorship.

I thought the celebration was not only about the event itself, but also about people uniting to rid the world of an evil regime. I find it fitting that any and all allies of France were invited. Excluding people is never a good thing, especially not when including them doesnt take anything away from what ever it is you plan on doing. In this case it was the celebration of an alliance that freed Europe of an evil dictatorship.

no its pretty much about D-Day and the following liberation of france.