Sign in to follow this  
PsyWarrior

Project mcar public beta release

Sorry most of the OFP comunity are baddly spoiled they rather have something that looks good and high detail than being functional Actualy had one made no textures on it and Mcar still confuzzles me installing so you beat me... Again.. =p

i never intended to complain about it, it was only a comment like

"if something could be done better" it is a very impressive work which i really appreciate smile_o.gif

You being an affiliate, Bobcatt, can download the model from

the PsyProd site, so if yours is better than mine (which is probable),

we are still in time to attach the scripts to it, since the Gecko

can't be released anyway before MCAR beta 3 is released, cause

it relies on some scripts,functions and models which are defined

there.

EDIT>

Don't worry, Tomislav, I know the textures suck, and the

model could be done better. There's no need to be nice, just

speak out your opinion, otherwise how can I understand better

what's wrong ? Of course I can't do much better than this, now:

this one is my first vehicle, the other models I did were missiles,

so I need time to learn.

Sa8gecko,

As always, your work astonishes with its quality and honesty. OK, so there are some true artists who'll be able to work wonders with your textures, but the thing which impresses me is the originality of all that your mod produces. I still get a buzz out of the 106mm months after it was first released - tremendous!

In real life, back in the late 1980s, SA8 was our BIG worry. I was attached to our Army Air Corps as an instructor, and our job on Combined Air Ops (COMAO) with the A10s was to co-ordinate attack timings so that we could tackle the enemy air defences before the fixed-wing went in. The ONLY thing the A10 pilots were bothered about in those days was Gecko - we knew what it could do.

I finally got to look around a SA8 several years later - one thing you might want to include in your model is the ear-splitting racket its (gas-turbine) Auxiliary Power Unit makes. That radar needs an awful lot of electricity! I should think most SA8 operators were high-tone, if not completely, deaf after a few months. Anyway, the sound was one which used to be taught to Long-Range Recce people, so they knew what to listen for (once heard, never forgotten!).

Quote[/b] ]I still get a buzz out of the 106mm months after it was first released - tremendous!

wow_o.gif

WTH!!

So somebody is actually using that vehicle... biggrin_o.gif

Didn't see that one coming... tounge_o.gifwink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]one thing you might want to include in your model is the ear-splitting racket its (gas-turbine) Auxiliary Power Unit makes.

This is actually a very good idea...

You wouldn't know what kind of sound resembles it??

Or hapen to have a sample laying somewhere.. tounge_o.gif

Sorry most of the OFP comunity are baddly spoiled they rather have something that looks good and high detail than being functional Actualy had one made no textures on it and Mcar still confuzzles me installing so you beat me... Again.. =p

lol... im still trying to work out how to implement MCar as well... the tutorial is well written, but im still having problems... tounge_o.gif

cant wait for MCar 3 - will probally wait for that to be released before i continue with my work smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]will probally wait for that to be released before i continue with my work

And you should...

Way better than the one now available... wink_o.gif

We just hit some nasty bug that will take some time to get around, and it seems to be a BIS/OFP bug within another BIS/OFP bug so it's like circumventing a circumvent... tounge_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]im still trying to work out how to implement MCar as well... the tutorial is well written, but im still having problems...

If you have trouble just contact me or sa8gecko...

You should be able to add the Beta 3 scripts into the vehicle afterwards though, so it would not do any harm to make the vehicle work with the current files...

Nothing new on the vehicles is required, it's all in the manuals...

There's also some scripts amongst the scripts that are not necessarily needed by any addon, they are more of our own vehicle specific... Mainly the setObjectTexture scripts...

Quote[/b] ]You wouldn't know what kind of sound resembles it??

Yup - it was a gas turbine just like the APU on the Chinook, but MUCH louder. Not as high-pitched as the Astazou on the Gazelle, not as low-pitched as a full-size turbojet or turbofan. Very short exhaust, so you seemed to be hearing the racket straight off the turbine. Really the pitch isn't too important - just make it NOISY!!

..and no, we weren't allowed to take video cameras onto the site - no samples, sorry!

Video showing the 'autoflare' thing added to a Gaskin variant:

test36lf.th.jpg

512x384, 30 sec, 1.84 Mb, Xvid 1.0

Click on the picture to download the video. Seven days only.

If you don't like something feel free to say it.

nice, but the flares look a bit odd lol.... Normal BIS illumination flare isn't a great choice 2 use for aircfraft flares... Also would the auto flares thing work on helicopters as well?

scripts are astonishing as usual, flares could be a bit more yellow maybe, but nothing to worry about

the only thing i'd complain about is "why have you not blown that damn thing on the ground to the moon" tounge_o.gif (is it your SA-8B?)

Quote[/b] ]Normal BIS illumination flare isn't a great choice 2 use for aircfraft flares... Also would the auto flares thing work on helicopters as well?

They're not BIS flares. I must admit the color is similar, but I can

change it at will. They work with helos too, the only problem is

to distinguish the armed ones from the civilian ones: as now both

will fire flares if attacked by the missile.

Quote[/b] ]the only thing i'd complain about is "why have you not blown that damn thing on the ground to the moon" tounge_o.gif (is it your SA-8B?)

No, it's still the Gaskin. Since the SA-8B's missile is radar controlled,

I don't plan to add flares to it. The Gaskin's missile is an IR one,

so flares are appropriate. The thing that most I'd like you to

notice in the video is how the flares 'spoof' the missile: you can

see the missile targeting them: this is clearly visible at

seconds 14 and 16 of the video. At second 25 the plane gets

hit, instead: flares don't always work, even if as now they're

pretty effective.

yes, it looked as if it was hit, but i didn't take that into consideration, that make it even better smile_o.gif

Thanks Gedis for the link: it's where I've taken the line drawing

I used to build the SA-8B model. It's not very precise, though, so

I had to make up with pictures.

The SAMs in beta 3 will be the same Gaskin as the one on the

previous beta, as regarding model and textures, but the guidance

codes have been partially rewritten to ensure the vehicle is MP

compatible, and something has been added, like the flares.

The vehicle is the same but the variants are 7 or 8, every one

has different characteristics regarding the way the missile goes

after the target. That is, some missiles are easy to evade, others

are much more difficult, some missiles follow a certain trajectory,

others fly in a different way. This to give other people who are

eventually basing their addons on MCAR a possibility to choose

among different missile behaviours.

We didn't choose to make a better model for the Gaskin because:

- we have not skilled modeller and texturer

- Spetnaz Mod has a Gaskin in the work which looks truly awesome

We can reconsider it only if the Spetnaz Mod's Gaskin gets released as

a tank.

The SA-8B will be released later: as now I'm busy with the beta 3 scripts,

so I've little time for the Gecko, even if only the interior is still

to be textured.

I recomend to use Spetsnaz mod upcoming brdm/2/bmd/2 packs for your scripts and etc. you just need to deal with them smile_o.gif

It would be like MCAR & Spetnaz mod BRDM2 pack

or Spetsnaz mod & MCAR productions presents long waited, fully working BRDM2 pack with correctly working missiles or etc.

Well, not only them, RHS I think also is interesting about your stuff and other mods too...

for the radar guided missiles... Why not make an auto chaff as well? But for the chaff, it wouldn't be as good as spoofing with flares... SO in other words when an airplane gets shot at the chaff is dispensed but the missile 65-80% of the time will hit the airplane... So randomly the missile will miss, although the plane getting hit is more frequent.

PROJECT MCAR PUBLIC BETA 3 RELEASED!!!

Due to RL issues the developement has been in hiatus for a long time and will be so for some time into the future so we decided to release this now..

CHANGES from previous

- <span style='color:red'>Fully MultiPlayer compatible</span>

- All scripts overhauled; some Gaskin variants behave completely differently than in 2.5.1

- HMMWV TOW 2A 'Real, Human Player' added

- Two different MP Friendly Gaskin 'variants' added (code variants), all MCAR vehicles work in MP but these are more lighter

- numerous bugs fixed

KNOWN BUGS/ISSUES

- On almost all Gaskin code variants: In MP last valid target will be reported by the gunner in vehicle chat even if the target is destroyed and the

weapon is fired at no target. Aesthetical problem, does not affect the vehicles functioning in any way.

- On the Humwee 'Real' code variants: Kills are recorded in SP (appear in the statistics sheet) but not in MP.

(note: The 2A Real and 2B real do not always record their kills, but do it most of the time. The Real Human Player variant does record every kill)

We call this still Beta because the multiplayer aspect is a new feature (the earlier statements about MP aspects pale in comparison with this wink_o.gif) which means there must be other bugs laying around than those mentioned above and thus calling this final would be a bit 'Microsofty'...

Also the final 'system' will be re-written to be more user friendly for AddOn makers...

Read the readme (emphasis on that) for further details on the different code variants (different vehicles).

For those who may have been waiting for the Gecko, I have some baddish news:

Sa8gecko is too busy IRL to work on it right now so the Gecko will not be accompanying this Beta 3 release.

Of course if someone would like to finnish it and re-texture it we would appreciate and accept such an gesture... tounge2.gifwink_o.gif

The M151A1C Jeep is also updated to fit the new MCAR Beta 3, and is now in it's version 1.1

FIXES since 1.0:

- Multiplayer tweaks...

Also, not so related to MCAR, but if you missed the M1025 HMMWV with Mk19, check it out wink_o.gif

<span style='color:red'>Downloads</span>:

- MCAR Beta 3

(7 day mirror, not tested whether it works at all tounge2.gif)

- M151A1C

(7 day mirror, this tested neither..)

Files are in *.rar format, packed with 3.42 version so some older versions may have trouble unpacking them...

The biggest thanks above all go to our MP testers thumbs-up.gif :

- Hit_Sqd_Zulu and the Hit_Sqd gang && Fraghaus

- raedor and the gang

Not to mention the MP god, Killswitch... notworthy.gif

Thanks, StealthTiger smile_o.gif

Oh, and my deepest apologies Tomislav sad_o.gif

I completely forgot to mention you in the readme as a Beta tester... banghead.gif

Ok, we had to go a bit 'microsofty', but it's good thing we are at beta stages whistle.gif

Project MCAR Beta 3.1 Patch Released!!

Fixes:

- bugs causing the Gaskin code Prop. Nav., Ballistic not to release flares from the target plane

- bugs causing some target related global variables to be all hinky in some Gaskin codes...

DOWNLOADS:

MCAR Beta 3.1 Patch

(7 day mirror)