Sign in to follow this  
drow

Atmospheric missions

Hi all,

Im currently making a mission using our mod's new command and fire support systems.

While working on this mission it has occured to just how much better a mission can be once its Filled up with sounds and voices and other such things, but I also noticed that it makes the file size alot bigger, how do you all feel about size VS. atmosphere/sounds/effects?

I suppose you would need to try the mission before being able to answer properly but I thought I should look into this and see what the community wants, I for one dont care how big a mission is if it can give me a "NEW" experience while playing OFP.  

biggrin_o.gif

Roger that Drow - I'm a big fan of voices and sounds in missions. Voices particularly are a great way of keeping up with the mission plan without fumbling with the map screen.

Cheers,

Cornhelium

I love missions with audio atmosphere, especially with voice and radio dialogs.

Just don't overdo music or at least insert a RADIO command to shut it on/off.

If you're thinking of reusing audio files in multiple missions, consider using the AMORE method to distribute reusable audio files only one.

qualitative radio messages are hard to produce

what I was thinking about this weekend:

would it be possible to "recycle" radio messages from the campaigns i.e. accessing in the campaign pbo (which everybody has) without having to extract & copy them to your own mission /sound folder?

qualitative radio messages are hard to produce

Why? I've heard great ones, static, squelch and all. Of course, it's always important that the text shows up on the screen for those not used to the chatter.

Quote[/b] ]

what I was thinking about this weekend:

would it be possible to "recycle" radio messages from the campaigns i.e. accessing in the campaign pbo (which everybody has) without having to extract & copy them to your own mission /sound folder?

I am guessing that OFP is not built to allow referencing of audio files in other mission and campaign PBO files outside of your own.

The next best thing is AMORE, which I mentioned above.

We have capabilities to do all our voice acting (or most anyways), the music is a touchy subject, i find that cutting the songs down in a sound editing program to make them shorter and their file size smaller works good, and i am not a fan of music playing while your straining to hear an enemy creeping up, so music is strictly for cutscenes, intros and outros.

Sounds like you all are pretty open to full sized missions,,, on with the production!

smile_o.gif

edit- ps AVON,

We plan to use obscure tracks from the time period rather than classics like "paint it black" and "fortunate son".

I've also found that simple ambient stuff is useful to enhance a mission. Having garbled radio chatter whild you're on patrol, troops marching to a funny Jodie while you're at home base, etc.

Either that or weather/visual ambience addons that don't require you to script the hell out of the mission. Like the CAT Storms pack, where you just place the storm and go.

i love music and sounds but im not so good with the sounds stuff yet smile_o.gif

but i love adding stuff to the mission and i myself don't mind big filezises, i once made a coop misson that was 24 mb and had 30 addons. the thing worked okay with lag in the editor but when i tried starting it in multiplayer ofp crashed to desktop. okay with that said it copuld have been scripts to but i know that music is great but that i should try to keep file size below 20 mb tounge_o.gif

There are other ways to enhance your mission without having a big filesize at the end.

- Try AI_control script from Bremmer. It has an inbuilt dynamic voice engine that uses the default BIS voices.

Also an old mission from SUI has a dynamic voice engine

- Custom lettertypes

- Scrolltext (look at the COC tomahawk intro, it's cool)

Other than that I don't use complete songs, but short music parts from the movies,(mostly strings) and I play them in a random sequence depending on the player's situation

eg : I got 8 music files for idle situation, 8 for tension and 8 for combat situations

Other games with dynamic music use the same system, look at Farcry, MOHAA,...

Right now, I'm doing tests to create an animated briefing, with scrolltext, slideshows... It looks hi-tech biggrin_o.gif

I like music and voise missions. and th best campaign I ever played is the retaliation campaign PEACEKEEPER

It was brilliant campaign and it wasnt small. tounge_o.gif

ppl couldn believe that it has no unofficial addons biggrin_o.gif

I like music and voise missions. and th best campaign I ever played is the retaliation campaign PEACEKEEPER

got a link?

thanks voidfalse

I don't care about download sizes. Voices, chatter, music at all cost! biggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gifwink_o.gif

Music during battle scenes is a pain in the ass.

You don't stand a chance of defeating the enemy if you have rock music blaring down the speakers.

yea this has been mentioned, music is cool for chopper rides and intros.

sounds like yelling and radio sounds really help finish a mission tho believe me.

smile_o.gif