Sign in to follow this  
Unhappy customer

What video card do you recommend?

The "dullness effect" is the same for every video card that supports pixel shaders, the reason why you didn't get it with the old driver version was propably because they didn't support pixel shaders properly yet.

Fair enough then.. I couldn't screenshot the 'dullness' effect anyway. As soon as the screenshot was taken, then processed through paint. The dullness effect was gone, and the picture looked 'not dull'. Perhaps something to do with digital vibrance, and it not being effective in game? Might be time to (yet-again) re-adjust game video settings, monitor colour temp settings as well as video card settings until it 'looks right'.

Too hard to explain without tripping over my words and thoughts right now (lacking sleep).

Any card that supports Pixel Shader 1.0+ should have the realistic night vision effect -- it's definitely not a driver bug.

may be you can call it the game's own bug?

IMO i think both nV and ATi have done too much/too less on that "dull dffect" thing, and too much is no better then too less

My Specs:

Gateway 700SE

P4 2GHz

256 MB RDRAM

GeForce 4 MX440SE w/ 128 MB

Intel Lexington (1 or 2) board with 800 FSB

I was looking at the 9600 XT. I would consider the 9800 PRO but I'm just afraid it will not work. My PSU is unknown and my CPU is bottleneck at the moment. RAM will be upgraded soon. Only decision I need to make is for my video card.

You might be able to replace the PSU if it is weak. I'm not sure how comfortable you are messing around inside your system, but if you don't mind opening that case up, see if the Gateway uses a standard ATX power supply, and how many watts it is rated at.

Adding RAM, a high-end video card, having a CD or DVD burner etc. can tax stock PSUs and cause stability problems.

My old Gateway 500 had an ATX PSU if I recall, Gateway's nice in that it uses lots of standardized parts. My old stock 200w that came in that system also ran a P3 500, CDRW drive, DVD drive, GF4 Ti4600, and 2 HDDs without fail, so if it's 250w or more I'd trust it to run fine on a P4.

my advice is, if your going to buy a top end card, do not get a "cheap" generic card, buy branded, like Crucial or Hercules ect

I haven't followed graphics too closely in the last weeks and so i just noticed now that some newer versions of the radeon 9800 pro have only 128bit graphics ram interface instead of 256bit, seriously limiting graphics bandwidth. Sadly most cards don't have this info in the product description. I found datasheets for his and msi that said they use 256bit, but can't say for most other (cheaper) 9800pro cards. So if you want to buy any of those check before buying...

*BUMP*

I've got Å150 for crimbo for myself and was wondering if you could recomend a good graphics card for ofp, that you know will work.

What's the best today I could afford?

WinXP, Athlon 2.5, 1Gb DDR 333Mhz, 8X AGP

Thanks,

I will buy a 6600gt in the next weeks but i doubt you will get one for $150, more like $200. In the $150 range i would look for a 6600 or maybe an 9600xt. The x600xt is crappy and the x700xt would cost too much.

But i would suggest that if you can pay a little more then do that and get a 6600gt...

I would definetly get an 9800 pro 256mb, and put a 9800xt bios in it, so it would work as 9800xt.

150 pounds is $286 American dollars, I'm not sure what GFX Cards cost in Britain though I'm sure you can afford a Geforce 6800(Non-Ultra)and definitly a 6600GT (AGP, Unless you save up for a new PCI-E System)

@ LT. Schaffer

Maybe you should buy an Athlon64FX instead of the P4.

They are very fast, and you will get an Turbo Boost when the WinXP 64bit edition get released. wink_o.gif

EDIT:

BTW I´m using a GeForce FX5900XT 128MB ,and the only thing that is not running very well is 3DMARK05. smile_o.gif

LOL, i read $ instead of pounds... well, i would get at least an 6600gt then, maybe an 6800(gt), but not an 9800 anymore. The 9800 (even the xt) is slower than the 6600gt (which is in its price range) and does not have support for all the dx9c features (whenever those will get all that important). The more expensive cards like 6800gt beat the 9800xt by length...

I wouldnt be surprised if he's already got it yet. You can get a AMDFX/64 series if you want but by the time Windows Longhorn comes out (2006, note you'll have to stop playing OFP2 for a few minutes to buy it and install) it will proabably be lower-midrange CPU

Rumor and Hearsay have it that the PS3 CPU will "Carry out 16 trillionFPO's(16 Teraflops) per second.... wow_o.gif Thats only 25Teraflops Slower than Japan's NEC "Earth Simulator" which was formerly the fastest supercomputer in the world..

Linkage

Anyways the PS3 Chip with ATi's R500 means that the Ps3 will be pretty nasty.. ghostface.gif

does the fx6600 need an additional power supply from the psu like the fx6800?

does the fx6600 need an additional power supply from the psu like the fx6800?

The GF 6600GT AGP-version requires a power-supply connecter. The PCI-E version does not require an additional power-source. I've only seen and tried the GT-variant, not the non-GT. Either way, if you can't spare one power-connector from your powersupply then you should start with buying a new power-supply. smile_o.gif

btw there is no such thing as a FX6xxx-series. The FX was the embarrasing 5xxx-series that Nvidia is trying to forget wink_o.gif

Which one of these three do you think I sould get:-

Try and get a BFG one if you can, lifetime warrenty, and if its defective they send you a card of equal standing from the next generation of cards if they are out.. Example: A guy had to RMA(Return) his BFG 5900 because its memory was messed up.. They sent him back a BFG 6800GT OC. blues.gif

ok question answered thanks mate the fx5950 is pretty good im just looking toupgrade to a new card before the stop producing agp cards so i dont have to shell out for another mother board.

nonononono.. dont get a 5950.. get a 6800.. as they are cheaper and faster. wink_o.gif

Edit: *slap*

i already have the the 5950 mate thats what im looking to upgrade from smile_o.gif

My bad.. try and sell your 5950 for at least $200 and pick up a 6800GT for $200.. You've probably already thought of that aready though(?)