Sign in to follow this  
ozanzac

I need a new joystick.

Recently, my Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro gave up the ghost after countless hours of use.

I was kind of saddened by it's departure, because it was a great design. Big, sturdy base and ergonomic yet subtle styling. Perfect for my core gaming genre's of simming and racing.

I first got it just shy of three years ago. But after opening it up, it's beyond the point of cost effective repair and just time for a new one. But......... I'm not really too happy with what's now on offer at the local stores.

Whilist a Thrusmaster Cougar HOTAS setup would be nice, it's overkill for my needs. I wouldn't mind another MS stick, but I thought I heard that Billy got out of that business some time ago.

So I'm asking for a bit of advice. What's available. What's good. What's overrated. Your experiences. e.t.c.

Cheers. smile_o.gif

Go for a Saitek Cyborg Evo, round Å40. They are really really amazing.

Looks like something out of star wars, but I'll keep it in mind.

Reasonably cheap price is attractive, but I'm feeling it's time I should invest in a force-feedback stick. smile_o.gif

Some of the rest of the Saitek range looks attractive.

i need a new joystick too. atm i own a logitech attack3 and i am completely unhappy with it.

i just want to have a precise stick that doesn´t decalibrate itself -especially while i´m playing crazy_o.gif

are optical joysticks any good for flightsims ?

I own a Sidewinder FF 2. It´s pretty good. I had multiple low price sticks before and I got this one very cheap at ebay almost unused.

The only problem I have with it is that I am left-hander and the design is made for right hand use only.

Dont buy a Radioshak F15 combat figther joystick. there shit and it dosnt work. But maybe only on my comp. wink_o.gif

Make sure you get one with optical sensors, IMO.

An example of such a stick would be helpful. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I own a Sidewinder FF 2. It´s pretty good. I had multiple low price sticks before and I got this one very cheap at ebay almost unused.

I'd love to put my trust in a used joystick on e-bay. But it's the precision that counts with these things. My joystick looks ok on the outside, but it's a mangled wreck on the in.

Quote[/b] ]Dont buy a Radioshak F15 combat figther joystick. there shit and it dosnt work. But maybe only on my comp.
Don't worry. I won't. tounge_o.gif  I think I've seen one, and it's base was too small to even be considered.

I also need to bear in mind a POV hat, throttle, rudder e.t.c.

I'm not looking for a two axis, two button joystick that will last a week. wink_o.gif

http://www.logitech.com/index.c....ID=5032

I highly recommend the Logitech Freedom 2.4 Cordless Joystick. Seeing as how I have very limited space here in the barracks, I opted to buy a cordless joystick so I could just shove it in my drawer when I wasn't using it. Like you, I was a bit worried that a cordless one would not be as responsive as one directly connected to the computer. So I bought the Logitech joystick, and have loved it ever since. With the exception of force feedback, it has every feature you would want from a joystick. It has a POV hat, throttle slider, and a rotational axis for rudder control. It is very lightweight, has a well-designed ergonomic shape, and has a conveniently designed rubber bottom that keeps it from moving on your desk while you are playing.

It is also fully programmable, and has a profile selector (as do most joysticks nowadays, but still a nice feature). It's listed on Logitech for $69, but I was able to get mine in the store for about $50 (from Circuit City I believe... or maybe Best Buy?) Anyway, I highly recommend this joystick and you should check it out if a lightweight wireless joystick is what you are looking for. biggrin_o.gif

http://www.logitech.com/index.c....ID=5032

I highly recommend the Logitech Freedom 2.4 Cordless Joystick.  Seeing as how I have very limited space here in the barracks, I opted to buy a cordless joystick so I could just shove it in my drawer when I wasn't using it.  Like you, I was a bit worried that a cordless one would not be as responsive as one directly connected to the computer.  So I bought the Logitech joystick, and have loved it ever since.  With the exception of force feedback, it has every feature you would want from a joystick.  It has a POV hat, throttle slider, and a rotational axis for rudder control.  It is very lightweight, has a well-designed ergonomic shape, and has a conveniently designed rubber bottom that keeps it from moving on your desk while you are playing.

It is also fully programmable, and has a profile selector (as do most joysticks nowadays, but still a nice feature).  It's listed on Logitech for $69, but I was able to get mine in the store for about $50 (from Circuit City I believe... or maybe Best Buy?)    Anyway, I highly recommend this joystick and you should check it out if a lightweight wireless joystick is what you are looking for.   biggrin_o.gif

I second that. I'm very fond of my Freedom 2.4. smile_o.gif

I dont like wireless products.. The control isn't as sharp as with USB versions. The difference isn't big but it's there.

a difference is a difference. incidentally my joystick is an MS Sidewinder 2

Go for something with force feedback. It really makes a great difference to so many games.

Myself I have the logitech FF wingman which I'm pretty happy with. Nice solid, smooth throttle control and a good feel. It does have a tendancy to drift over time and require recalibration, in particular rudder control isn't what it used to be. Mind you, that me not be limited to Logitech stuff.

Joystick with optical sensors = doesn't ever need calibration.

I would give an example but I'm not that up to date on modern joysticks. The only ones I know for a fact have optical are msot of the MS precision ones.

I bought a Microsoft Sidewinder FF2 last fall and I have been very happy with it, and can recommend it to anyone looking for a basic joystick.

OFP isn't much of a flight simulator, but I do fly MS FS 2004 frequently, and I've been very pleased with this stick.

Reasonable price is a plus for this stick, but the throttle slider is a bit awkward. Also has a nice set of programmable buttons.

I have a Logitech WingMan Force 3D.

It´s nothing special but works very good with OFP.

The force feedback is very nice in ofp.

I don't play flight simulators, so I can't say how well it works with them.

107.gif

MfG Lee smile_o.gif

If you play flight sims, spend the extra cash and get the Saitek X45. There is nothing like having virrtually every control you need on the stick and throttle combo smile_o.gif

I am hoping they make a force feedback version, though.

Thrustmaster Afterburner 2 (40 euros & universal use). Question..do you need force feedback? In that case go for the Logitech Wingman Trikeforce 3D.

If you are left handed go for the Saitek cyborg 3d force

If you play flight sims, spend the extra cash and get the Saitek X45.  There is nothing like having virrtually every control you need on the stick and throttle combo smile_o.gif

I am hoping they make a force feedback version, though.

I Agree! I had a Logitech WingMan Extreme 3d but when I got LOMAC I decide to get myself a HOTAS so I bought a Saitek X45 and I couldn’t be happier! It's a great piece of hardware well worth its price.

A HOTAS setup, such as the Saitek X-45 would be nice, but I'm unsure as to how it would perform in a racing game. I'm sure I'd get used to it after a while, but if one of you can tell me how proficient you are in a racing sim with the HOTAS, that would be much appreciated, but I have no doubt it would meet my flight sim needs.

I haven't yet seen a demo of the HOTAS setup in the stores, so I can't judge how weighty it is (for surface grip reasons). Is it stuck down by suction caps, or is the base grippy enough to not slide around on a smooth surface, such as my computer desk?

A wireless setup isn't really necessary for my needs. I'm judging that the stick would continually require batteries at regular intervals, so that's a bit of a turn off. But I'll still bear it in mind.

Thanks for the suggestions. If something isn't mentioned thats worthy to be my new joystick. By all means suggest it.  It'll be at least a few days before I make a final decision. smile_o.gif

edit: typing backwards, I was!

Some time ago i was looking for a joystick too, it should be usuable with left or right hand, should have 3 axis + throttle, pov hat, lots of buttons. Saitek Cyborg had all that and i bought it and am happy with it. The software for game profiles coming with the stick was not that good and i haven't tested the newer versions for it as i don't need the stick that often and i rather set up my games accordingly than mapping keys to the joystick buttons.

I had a logitech before, and it had to be recalibrated each time i wanted to play and after some time could not be calibrated any more. It was totally unusable sad_o.gif

Thrustmaster Afterburner 2 (40 euros & universal use). Question..do you need force feedback? In that case go for the Logitech Wingman Trikeforce 3D.

I don't need it. But I do want it. wink_o.gif

I was ambidextrous, but an accident a few years ago put an end to that. Perhaps a HOTAS setup might restore some strength and precision in my left thumb......icon14.gif

I wonder if I can claim a joystick on health insurance for therapeutic reasons. rock.gif  tounge_o.gif

If the Cougar is out of your price-range I recomend the 2nd best:

Saitek X45 HOTASAK

If the Cougar is out of your price-range I recomend the 2nd best:

Saitek X45 HOTASAK

the cougar is the most expensive joystick i´ve ever seen (344 € in Austria) wow_o.gif  

i own the old Saitek X36F for year´s now and im really happy with it...

has anyone of you the Cougar  rock.gif