Sign in to follow this  
Gadger

Rome: total war / napoleon total war

Personally I can't wait for Rome Total War

br9.jpg

But for those that just need something else to keep em happy till the fall release I seriously recommend yall check out N:TW

This is a mod for the viking invasions medieval addon, Napoleon TW has been around for about a year now, but version 3.0 has just been released.

thinredline.gif

PS: I did a search for previous threads but found nothing within the last year, my bad if one already exists

Yes... I love the Total War series. I think a version set in the ancient Chinese dynasties would be a whole lotta fun too.

Hey Hellfish,

If you search here I think you might just find one

wink_o.gif

Yes, another fan of the Total War series here. Im definatly looking forward to this one (slightly worried what the system specs to get it running decently will be though). It just looks jaw dropping. I feel a definate desire to sack rome (preferably as Hannibal) tounge_o.gif

I still play Shogun. I haven't tackled any of the others yet though. Been meaning to though.

Quote[/b] ]I still play Shogun

Yep, me too. I have Warlord edition (with Mongol Invasion) and its just a classic. The graphics may have dated but gameplay never ages.

I play Shogun, but I LOVE playing the Byzantines in MTW. Just something so breathtaking about having a Kataphraktoi charging down the Cossacks. smile_o.gif

Ya i'm a fan of the total series also, Can't wait for R:TW comes out. Those of you who don't know much about this game should check the "totalwar" site and download some ingame movies.

i´ve played Medieval:TW and liked it very much.

zhough it was bit too much tactic here and there i managed to conquer europe smile_o.gif ... then i somehow stopped playing it, but i will definately take look into R:TW !

Once again I would just like to mention the brilliance of Napoleon Total War, like BAS and the many other OFP addon makers these guys took such pleasure in the game they decided to edit it and bring joy to many others, The lordz, I sulute you! smile_o.gif

http://www.thelordz.co.uk

Hey Hellfish,

Sorry I had to leave for the night (heavy drinking session smile_o.gif )

As soon as a I find an alternative link for the Chinese dynistic patch I'll pass it on biggrin_o.gif

I do like M:TW and the Viking expansion, but I always feel it could have been so much better. I'd like much more detail and possibilities put into the game.

For example.

If you play through the Viking expansion as, say, the Picts, and manage to conquer the entire (what will become the) UK... then go on to play the 'updated' medieval campaign.... oh, you have to play as the English.

It's all stored in text files, I don't think it would have been that hard to have the option of starting as the Irish, the Picts, the Scots or the Vikings instead of the English (with relative starting points.) Also, I think the game is too constrained by history. 'Change history' says the promo - but you can't change much. You can't build some area specific units if you aren't a certain faction, or even equivalents of certain units. But if, historically, the ... Egyptians or whatever had captured wales, they would have taken advantage of the skills of the locals as well. Stuff like that. And 'Oh well this faction never had heavy armour' - yes, because they never conquered most of Europe... If they HAD, they would have got some decent armour.

Another thing that really annoys me is the AI cheating like fuck when one of its units or armies is threatened. Say you have an assassin in one of your provinces, and an enemy bishop starts converting your population- you send the assassin after him, only for the AI to move to your allies lands, the assassin follows (automatically) - and is caught by your ally's border guards. Ally then declares war on you because he's found one of your assassins in his land. The REST of your allies then break the alliance with you because they can't remain allied to both of you. That happened to me last night. VERY annoying.

I want more in depth strategic command, similar to civilisation and modern equivalents. Some diplomacy more in depth than moving a unit from one place to another.

Options to customise your units a la Alpha Centauri- and to construct decent ambushes and traps as the Scots did at Stirling Castle.

Having said all that, though, it is pretty good. I will be getting Rome:TW, and I'm going to play the Napoleon mod once I've done the main campaign as the Danes (Closest thing to Scots I could get. Main assault force is always very upgraded Highlanders biggrin_o.gif)

Yipeee! biggrin_o.gif

Why Monday? Surely a weekend would be better for a Total War game wow_o.gif

Ask them. smile_o.gif Either way, it's another reason to not pay attention at work and totally ignore my dog awhen I get home. biggrin_o.gif

Yipeee!  biggrin_o.gif

Why Monday? Surely a weekend would be better for a Total War game  wow_o.gif

Last minute fixes (adding a basic tutorial) delayed the release of the demo biggrin_o.gif

And another thing (after playing again) - you cannot get rid of certain factions. I'm pretty sure after a good two hundred years of constant scorched-earth-style razing of the land, defeat at every opportunity of the 'heir' - a faction should be able to get rid of the Papacy. Because they are really, really, really annoying. Germany attacks you - Papacy 'Stop attacking fellow christians!' - two turns later 'You have been excommunicated' - next turn many of your provinces are almost in rebellion- then 'the pope has called for all true christians to unite against you!!!'

Annoying.

The swine was sending assassins after me as well.

Yeah, the pope is a real bitch in M:TW. I hope nothing similar will occur in R:TW with the Roman senate. But the diplomacy aspect seems to have improved so I hope it won't be an issue. And negotiating rights of passage sounds great aswell!

EDIT: And in M:TW I really think you should be able to establish a "mock papacy" if you conquer the papal states. And then control which countries are excommunicated/recieve donations.

Yeah, the pope is a real bitch in M:TW. I hope nothing similar will occur in R:TW with the Roman senate. But the diplomacy aspect seems to have improved so I hope it won't be an issue. And negotiating rights of passage sounds great aswell!

EDIT: And in M:TW I really think you should be able to establish a "mock papacy" if you conquer the papal states. And then control which countries are excommunicated/recieve donations.

I hate the pope.. He's pure evil tounge_o.gif

I really hope they implent a better boat system than in Medieval. In Medieval it was a pain to move across water but in real life the water were the real "interstates". I didnt like that as it was really hard to conquer the world with Ireland and em islands down in that water wtf it name is in english.

Even now he's sitting there being evil... The "old man act" is just a fasade for the satan that he truly is.

EDIT: And yes, by the looks of that trailer that was posted here. Moving ships looks alot easier. In M:TW it was a pain launching a seaborne assault... You had to have ships in every bloody sea zone leading to the area you want to get at.