Sign in to follow this  
SpeedyDonkey

World championship in icehockey

<span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'>Sweden 3-2 USA</span>

Sweden to finals against Canada.

damnit sad_o.gif

, then GO CANADA GO CANADA!!!!!!

Yay! World championship finals. Great stuff! A quality match all in all. Very close and I was really sitting at the edge of my chair for the last few seconds!

I might be too overconfident when saying and or thinking this.... But I smell a gold coming "our" way. I don't know how but it just feels like it, whatever the outcome of tomorrows match will be I am looking forward to more quality hockey!

Another "classic" complaint... What the heck was the referee doing? Being a referee is hard, but some odd calls on his part indeed!

Immediate Swedish goal 18 seconds into the first period. A total of 8 minutes of Swedish power play in the same period lead to second goal in the last minute. Quite clear Swedish domination this period.

The referee did a pretty lousy job in the second and third period. A Swede was hooked just outside the US goal, and the referee didn't do anything. Time after time, the Americans got away with a lot of foul playing, whereas Swedes seemed to be penalized for just about anything. One was pushed into the US goal by an American, which also was ignored by the referee. You could almost expect the Swede to be penalized for that somehow... rock.gif

The last minutes of the third period were chaotic. USA pushed pretty hard and by taking their goalie out they managed to score a second time. I don't know why, but they turned the clock back from 19.56 to 19.55 before icing on Sweden's half, which made the risk of a 3-3 goal imminent. But that never happened.

Canada next.

pah, since germany lost Ice-hockey is no more interesting to me than water-football. Oh did I mention that I am bad looser? rock.gif

3-2, Not bad smile_o.gif

Canada is always a difficult nut to crack for Sweden. But I have hope smile_o.gif

Congrats to Sweden, i just wish they showed the game on TV here in the US the final should be a great game.

i just wish they showed the game on TV here in the US

They didn't?

I have a feeling that the world championship isn't a big thing in the US. They don't even mention the game on the Sports Illustrated frontpage. Current NHL games seem to get attention tough...

Whats weird is that they showed the first round games on UK tv: Eurosport news ok satellite, but when the 2nd round started the coverage simply vanished sad_o.gifcrazy_o.gif

i just wish they showed the game on TV here in the US

They didn't?

Even here in Canada, most don't even know about that there is a world championship going on lol. Sad but true. I like the world championship's better then the NHL because there you play for your country.... in the NHL it's just hired guys playing for diff. teams fom all over the world. It's all about $$$. Where is the honor in that?

-Just imagined how it would look if every OFP player would play for his country biggrin_o.gif

I'm surprised. No offence but now it doesn't feel like you North Americans deserve to win, cause no one of you cares anyway, except for you guys that post in this thread perhaps. Over here it's bigger than soccer.

svenskafans463.jpg

Over here it's bigger than soccer.

You mean football.

And really it's not. The world championship in football is several orders of magnitude bigger.

You mean football.

Depends on the language we're speaking and since my post was mainly directed at Americans I chose to say soccer.

Quote[/b] ]And really it's not. The world championship in football is several orders of magnitude bigger.

Yeah whatever, icehockey is catching up extremely.

Offtopic I know but ice-hockey is catching up indeed. But to beat soccer/football there is still a long way to go. And the reason is very simple. For the one thing you just need an old sock filled with paper and for the other you need ice, sticks and a puck (as we call it). Considering that the best players come from brasil and other poor countries I doubt that ice-hockey will become a sport of the unprivileged.

You mean football.

Depends on the language we're speaking and since my post was mainly directed at Americans I chose to say soccer.

They should be educated. A 'football' is something you kick with the foot and it is not for be carried around. As a matter of fact around the last WC, there was a forum rule that banned the word 'soccer' smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]
Quote[/b] ]And really it's not. The world championship in football is several orders of magnitude bigger.

Yeah whatever, icehockey is catching up extremely

Possibly, but still it is not significant. Mainstream news like DN and SVD only picked it up the last few days. At the start the results were just footnotes in the sport section. Allsvenskan had higher priority.

As for the championship in football, then you have complete and permanent sections in the news covering just the wc.

I can't see what's entertaining with football. No speed, no gear, no aggression, no nothing. Compared to ice hockey anyway. I see why it's so big though, like you said Albert, you don't need anything for it so anyone can play it. But hockey is so much more fun to watch.

I can't see what's entertaining with football. No speed, no gear, no aggression, no nothing. Compared to ice hockey anyway. I see why it's so big though, like you said Albert, you don't need anything for it so anyone can play it. But hockey is so much more fun to watch.

I have never liked hockey. There's no elegance in it. They are just speeding from side to side. It's too fast. There is very little tactics involved. Apart from that it is of a bunch of neanderthals on skates beating each other up.

Not my thing. I like when Sweden wins, but that has nothing to do with the sport itself.

In hockey goals just happen. In football you can follow the buildup. The variation of pace adds to the excitement.

Quote[/b] ]Congrats to Sweden, i just wish they showed the game on TV here in the US the final should be a great game.

The game was on espn2.  tounge_o.gif  tounge_o.gif

I love hockey. It's the best sport to play and watch. Football is indeed "bigger" then hockey though. I reckon that things are looking good for hockey now (for swedes) If you guys win the gold medal interest will obviously increase. Peter Forsberg among others are returning to Elitserien this year and hopefully we get the NHL lockout that results in alot of high quality playes over here. The only thing that is lacking in swedish hockey is a really good team from the Stockholm area (they need to hire more finns)

Shame on you for dismissing hockey denoir, shame on you!  tounge_o.gif

A swedish article

Hockey-VM har ĺterigen blivit en succé för TV3. Tre av matcherna

har redan haft miljonpublik, trots att alla svenskar inte har tillgĺng

till kanalen. Toppsiffran 1 230 000 kom mot Slovakien. Det kan

jämföras med Sveriges jubileumslandskamp mot England i fotboll

pĺ Ullevi som "bara" drog 865 000 pĺ samma kanal.

Även fotbollslandslagets tvĺ sista EM-kvalmatcher, som sändes

i markbundna SVT, hade lägre tv-siffror än hockeyhjältarna i trean.

- Det kom lite som en chock, men det kanske är mer action i hockey,

säger Guldpucksvinnaren Johan Davidsson, som fĺr medhĺll av

Tre Kronor-kompisarna:

- Jag tror framför allt att det är bra tv-underhĺllning

- personligen föredrar jag själv ocksĺ hockey, säger Henrik Lundqvist.

And just to make the rest of you understand, i ran the text through bablefish (english to chinese + chinese to enlgish) tounge_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Hockey Vm har 8aterigen blivit en succ3e f5or TV3. Tre av matcherna har redan handle miljonpublik, slightly runs har tillg8ang until kanalen att alla svenskar inte. Toppsiffran 1.23 million kom mot Slovakien. Det kan j5amf5oras med Sveriges jubileumslandskamp mot English i fotboll p8a Ullevi som " Bara" Drog 865,000 p8a samma kanal. 5Aven fotbollslandslagets tv8a sista Em kvalmatcher, som s5andes i markbundna SVT, hade l5agre television siffror 5an hockeyhj5altarna i trean. - Det kom lite som the en plug, person det kanske 5ar mer moves i hockey, s5ager Guldpucksvinnaren Johan Davidsson, som f8ar medh8all av Tre Kronor-kompisarna: - Jag tror framf5or allt att det 5ar bra television underh8allning - personligen f5oredrar jag sj5alv ocks8a hockey, s5ager Henrik Lundqvist.

The NHL playoffs get all the attention at this time of year although the US does care about its national hockey, the media doesnt bother to cover it unless its the World Cup or the Olympics.

wOOt

Way to go Team USA, i wish i could have watched it.

unclesam.gif