Sign in to follow this  
SpecOp9

The current main problems in ofp

Every once in a while I will make a thread similar to this.  Listing all the problems in Operation Flashpoint and ideas and suggestions we could use to solve the problems.

1. Multiplayer Cheats, Cheaters

-People who are NOT in squads need to register an XML at a website before they can play on any Flashpoint server.  If you don't want this, feel free to let possible cheaters enter your server and ruin your game and your time.

-Web site where Users or Server Admins can submit a complaint about a specific player, along with his/her user ID, a screenshot, or video clearly showing his cheats being used.  A Warning level can by given on his/her XML, so when they join a server and pick a side you can see stars beside their name showing their cheat level. -Thanks to Suma for the idea.

Bob [***]

For example shows he has been found cheating at least 3 times.

-We find ways to bring more security to our servers, develop tools, and other things that allow server admins to easily pinpoint cheaters.  If people can figure out how to cheat in OFP, than we, without a doubt can find a way to counter these exploits.  Programs that can match IDs ETC.

-Squads come together to form a few servers only dedicated for squads, or friends we might have.  THe servers will be passworded so random people, we have no idea who they are can get inside.  They can be known as the official anti cheat servers, and have about 5 of them.

2. Lack of missions available for MODs and Addons

-MOD teams form special MISSION ONLY section of the MOD team, where 5 or so mission makers work on nothing but missions using that MOD.

-Increased use of Addons at Ease when addons are made.

Maybey some web sites won't accept addons if it has not been put through Addons at Ease. (Usually AAE is good for including a mission in one easy to use download)

-Form a special group of Mission makers to teach newbies how to make missions.  Increasing the mission population in the community.  If people are interested on learning, they may become attatched to it and WANT to create missions every single day.

-More teams dedicated in making missions only.  The more people in this team, the more missions can be made.

There is a LARGE number of OFP players who love to download addons, but they have no skill to make missions using them, or they just don't want to.  Addons are simply toys in the mission editor.  There are thousands of players in OFP who want to use these things in missions, but there are never enough.  And more addons are being crapped out faster than any mission maker can keep up with.  Not saying it's a bad thing, but it needs to be balanced.

3. Multiplayer servers EMPTY

This may not seem as much as a big deal, but it is.  There are plenty of servers.  But they are all EMPTY.

-Server admins update their server with version 1.96, the most recently released patch

Other than that, promotion is the only other way to increase everything.  With most servers playing a CTI, with no JIP, with only around 15 servers that have people in them (not many people) trying to join a game takes pretty long.

Not to mention you often join a server with no admin.

4. Main complaint I have about OFP content releases by the community is that it’s quite often very hard for the average gamer to install and play, there are too many different versions and it’s not always clear what’s a beta and what’s really the final product. I don’t blame any of creators of such content, I just think we all shall try to find a way how to get really polished content to a broader audience in a more accessible way if we want OFP community to grow. Our initiative Addons At Ease tried to go this way but was never really adopted by the OFP community, . We shall continue to work on this aspect for OFP and our next games.

-Maruk

- A web site dedicated in only FINAL versions of addons.

No 1.32, 1.1, 7.5 versions.  Only the FINAL product.

- Increased use of Addons at Ease.

- An online readme file that shows installation of addons, missions, and campaigns.  I'm sure Avon Lady's FAQ has covered this already however.

Any suggestions welcomed.

If there are other problems post them.

This thread is about ways we can solve top issues in Operation Flashpoint.  Not an argument fest.

Some of the problems I encountered require server specific MOD files. This in turn creates a real hodgepoge of special desktop icons. OFP WATCH is only a small solution. The duplicated addons soon reach terabit proportions. Then while playing one gets kicked when the admin selects a mission that you have a missing addon, although you do have it in another mod folder.

That's also another problem that I am glad you pointed out.

Often times you have no idea what addons the mission is using. So when you select the mission and click "OK" everybody gets booted off. Of course it says what addons you are missing, but it DOES NOT say where you can get the addon which is equally as important.

And the mod folder thing is also another problem...the only solution I would imagine, is if everybody had their MOD folders setup the same way as everybody elses. Like I said in another post, It's not a matter of how easy it is to install the addons, but how easy it is afterwards.

What can i say, none of those problems applies to me. We only had one guy on our server yet that we suspected cheating. Also, our mappers make missions for our addons. Actually, it's the opposite: when our mappers want addons on the server i put them onto the server. I don't really care about other servers being empty or full as i normally play only on my own server. We got enough players in the evening for coop or cti, so i can't complain about that. Installation is not a problem for the players as i have ofp watch take of that for them, and it installs everything into one server specific modfolder, so there can be no duplicate addons and no mixups with other servers.

Point 2

Well.

Even if there are some missions it is still not enough after some time. I'd rather prefer compaigns and here we touch real problem (for me).

I would like to replay the all available compaigns using specific, chosen by me addons.

I would like to see an open source config, that would allow such things (original game config.bin file in cpp verion). I am not a programmer, but I can make some little changes like models, adding some new units. Commented config is not enough for me because I simply do not know what to fill there and honestly I don not want to know.

It became frustrating because i have to create my own missions which lack dialogs, cutscenes and other things. After I am done with I loose interest in it because I know what to expect in the mission.

Voila

I said it.

Quote[/b] ]What can i say, none of those problems applies to me

Maybey not, but to the community it does.

Alot of your solutions seem very harsh, maybe you are just playing on the wrong servers as I have never seen any cheaters in this game.

Alot of your solutions seem very harsh, maybe you are just playing on the wrong servers as I have never seen any cheaters in this game.

Believe me, it is often hard to spot cheaters. Finding somebody that uses trainers is rare, but there have been times when I see people shooting a G36 as if it was an M60.

I could use some suggestions guys...

As for the lack of Mission problems..I was thinking perhaps OpFlashpoint.org OFPEC.com OFP.info, could group up and perhaps have a contest to see who can create the best Missions for specific addons. The winner gets a special little "star" or something...anything we can do that would encourage people to WANT to make missions...or at least learn how

i think there are tons and tons of great missions out there already made on people's computers, it's just that there's really no easy way to upload them.

ive been playing ofp from 5.2.02, and i havent seen a cheater yet. as for the missions and addons, I use FDFmod and visit frequantly at fdf missionrepository. FDFmod and missions are easy to install, and the patches usually come with patch.exe, which is the easyest way to install them. I really dont see any problems on my behalf. All the serious bugs (like ofp formatting your harddrive) have been dealt with.

Quote[/b] ]As for the lack of Mission problems..I was thinking perhaps OpFlashpoint.org  OFPEC.com  OFP.info, could group up and perhaps have a contest to see who can create the best Missions for specific addons.  The winner gets a special little "star" or something...anything we can do that would encourage people to WANT to make missions...or at least learn how

How about MOM at Avons site.

Seems perfect to me smile_o.gif

Hi everybody,

sorry SpecOp9 but i agree to Benu. i mean the problems you pointed are true, but the medal got 2 sites.

I am Fraghaus server and Ts admin, and have admin on 2 other OFP plus a 32 player CS server which i rented with some peeps. All i can say is....

To the cheating thing:

You will always have them, in ofp much less than in CS thats for sure, in OFP even easier to point out! On Fraghaus there is mostly old regulars playing, so usually no cheaters and no need to register a XML anywhere which idea i just dont like cause i dont like to register for something:)

(Havent posted here for 2 years)

To OFPWATCH:

It isnt that difficult to use once you got used to it and will download the addons required for each server, so you wont get booted for a mission if you have all mod folders of the server you connected too enabled. Well i know i duplicates and thats just no prob for me cause i just play on Frag. But the real advantage is that people dont have to check what addons they need, ofpwatch does the job.

To Addons:

I leave that up to addon makers but the regular websites for ofp always worked fine for me. The versions problem is solved by ofpwatch cause it'll download the required version of the server.

To Servers:

Honestly i never thought i would become one of them, but now i am one of those cti whores too:) We mostly do the coop version of 1.16, i know it takes time to end it and on any other public server they would not come back but on Frag we would #reassign in most cases and start again if we are not close to the end. But i know where your point is coming from, i thought the same like 2 months ago and now i am a CTI whore. tounge_o.gif

Again SpecOp i can see all of your points, but they wont fit for everybody here, just my opinion. And i hope every addon gets updated once at a time cause of the new things our greatfull addonmakers figure out each single day.

Thx a lot to all you guys there for spending your time for our fun!!!!!!!

All have a good one..

Daywalker wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]1. Multiplayer Cheats, Cheaters

-People who are NOT in squads need to register an XML at a website before they can play on any Flashpoint server. If you don't want this, feel free to let possible cheaters enter your server and ruin your game and your time.

Sounds like a union. (Join now or you can't work here). No thanks, if people want to play, let them play. If this idea were implemented, a server option should be created to either allow or not allow people without the XML.

Quote[/b] ]

-Web site where Users or Server Admins can submit a complaint about a specific player, along with his/her user ID, a screenshot, or video clearly showing his cheats being used. A Warning level can by given on his/her XML, so when they join a server and pick a side you can see stars beside their name showing their cheat level. -Thanks to Suma for the idea.

Bob [***]

So who runs this website?...

As far as a single final patch is concerned, that would be nice. The idea has floated around for a while, and it would be a good addition. Although it's not that hard to upgrade without it. (I saved all the patches/readmes to a folder and can't just go in numerical order, not too hard.)

Obstacles are those scary things you see when you take your eyes off your goal. There will be problems of course trying to fix these issues. it's not like they don't exist.

of course people won't all agree...that's why I'm trying to get others to throw in their input so we can do a vote later on which action to take...and which action most if not all agree with. If those people don't agree, tough shit, because it's a problem fixer...if they are against problem fixers too bad for them... I just need followers...

If one person stands up to their boss in his face...they will probably get fired. But if a large group of people stand up to him he has no other choice. Same case here.

In regards to missions & addons:

What would be ideal would be an online "live database" of addons and missions, that would list things such as:

- addon (pbo) name

- download location

- dependencies (other addons etc.)

- mission listing (with which addons are required etc.) along with type, island etc.

- listing of known servers and missions

So that with this database someone could do a search on "Earl & Sucheys Marine's" and find out what the pbo name(s) is, where they can download the pack, a list of missions using this pack, and servers that are known to host these missions.

Or if someone tries to play a mission and gets "Cannot load mission: missing addons BAS_deraw", they could type BAS_deraw.pbo into the search field and find out what pack the addon comes in and d/l locations.

Having said that, this would be a freakin' logistcial nightmare, and would need a 20 man around-the-clock team to maintain properly... sad_o.gif I thikn the closest we've come to this is OFP Watch and Johnny Lump's Militaria...

My biggest problem at the moment is the crash to desktop when you try to load from a saved game because your mission or mod has too many scripts running at the same time (ECP in an example).

Obstacles are those scary things you see when you take your eyes off your goal.  There will be problems of course trying to fix these issues.  it's not like they don't exist.

of course people won't all agree...that's why I'm trying to get others to throw in their input so we can do a vote later on which action to take...and which action  most if not all agree with.  If those people don't agree, tough shit, because it's a problem fixer...if they are against problem fixers too bad for them...  I just need followers...

If one person stands up to their boss in his face...they will probably get fired.  But if a large group of people stand up to him he has no other choice.  Same case here.

Instead of pulling a politician on me, perhaps you can answer the questions directly?

So I will repeat my post, and please answer the question this time smile_o.gif :

Quote[/b] ]1. Multiplayer Cheats, Cheaters

-People who are NOT in squads need to register an XML at a website before they can play on any Flashpoint server.  If you don't want this, feel free to let possible cheaters enter your server and ruin your game and your time.

Sounds like a union.  (Join now or you can't work here).  No thanks, if people want to play, let them play.  If this idea were implemented, a server option should be created to either allow or not allow people without the XML.

Quote[/b] ]

-Web site where Users or Server Admins can submit a complaint about a specific player, along with his/her user ID, a screenshot, or video clearly showing his cheats being used.  A Warning level can by given on his/her XML, so when they join a server and pick a side you can see stars beside their name showing their cheat level. -Thanks to Suma for the idea.

Bob [***]

So who runs this website?...

As far as a single final patch is concerned, that would be nice.  The idea has floated around for a while, and it would be a good addition.  Although it's not that hard to upgrade without it.  (I saved all the patches/readmes to a folder and can't just go in numerical order, not too hard.)

I think the main problem is simply the age of the game nowerdays. OFP hasent been bettered but its certainly aged. In particular the AI. If one thing needs to be totally toned for OFP 2 it is the AI. Soldiers have no sense of individual purpose. For example if they see you go behind a ridge they wont try to follow you they just follow their waypoints and shoot at what they see. Its also ridiculous the extent soldiers stay in squad formations, particularly if you are leading and u wanna get to a medic you move left and ur whole squad gets up and moves a yard left with you.

Also its terrible at understanding the enviroment. If an AI is defending from behind sandbags they'll lie down at a hint of combat and not be able to shoot or see. This makes indoor combat nearly impossible for the AI.

OFP is still a great game, but with technology how it stands now I honestly think the sequal is when OFP will really change the world, as it could well combine the AI ability and indoor firefights of a standard FPS such as half life with the amazingness of what OFP is known for. Massive outdoor engagements. (I also think ragdoll physics would be brilliant for OFP)

I don't think cheating is that big in OFP. The problem with having to register is that it over complicates things. That's why I dislike UBIsoft and their MP setup. Usually I have to register an account with UBI to play online. The same problem would occur if you had a website of suspected cheaters. As a server admin it's simply easier for me to kick or ban the guy from my server and leave it at that. He's somebody else's problem now. Now I know that sounds selfish but that's the way a lot of people are sadly.

The biggest problem with MP that I see is the addons. I have a lot of missions that use outdated addon versions. So I end up having to have 2 or 3 versions of the same addon. This could be fixed if a lot of addon makers make future version backwards compatible. Some of them are but not all. I'm not a mod maker or coder but I know sometimes that is impossible or simply not easy. The easiest way to fix this is for servers to make a website and list all of the addons they use on the game server and the link to get them. In the server name you could give that website so any player can get a list of what your running.

Is it really so hard just to register an XML?

I mean if you can't play you are left with no other choice but to do it once, and it's out of your way.

Quote[/b] ]Sounds like a union. (Join now or you can't work here). No thanks, if people want to play, let them play. If this idea were implemented, a server option should be created to either allow or not allow people without the XML.

Some of those random people you see login are not people...sometimes they are cheaters. Cheaters are very rare in the game, believe me. But when I do find a cheater, he simply can just change his username without anybody taking note of his User ID; just so he can cheat even more.

My ideas are not written in stone. This thread was meany for tohers to post their ideas not opinions on mine.

Quote[/b] ]So who runs this website?...

Somebody we can trust? I'm sure OFPEC or OFP.info, or somebody else would gladly like to help out...depending on the idea at hand. It does'nt matter who runs the site, the site will run itself.

Its also ridiculous the extent soldiers stay in squad formations, particularly if you are leading and u wanna get to a medic you move left and ur whole squad gets up and moves a yard left with you.

Order them to stand where they are instead of maintaining formation.

I consider it an interface problem more than an AI problem. Maybe something like more formation options would do the trick. Formations like "Aware - Loose" and "Aware - Tight". Or a Travel mode and Deployed mode, or even hotkeys to issue a command to an entire squad instead of having to select them first.

Is it really so hard just to register an XML?

Actually, yes, it is. I know several people that can not even type the correct URI to an XML someone else made for them, uploaded for them and hosts for them into their player setup in ofp. Not evreyone PLAYING computers is really experienced with computers. Not everyone playing ofp wants to setup some XML somewhere on the web.

Quote[/b] ]I mean if you can't play you are left with no other choice but to do it once, and it's out of your way.

How nice of you that you want to ban those people from playing on any server just because of your cheater paranoia.

Well first of all I'm sure I play much more online than you, or anybody else that has posted here.  

Single players missions, all your addons, all your Campaigns have nothing to do what happens in Online games.  Sure it may not seem like such a big deal to you, but to me it is.

Squad matches are imortant to me, as well as normal downtime play.  I probably play the game in Multiplayer more than anything else with OFP.

So why "should'nt" I have a problem with cheaters?  

Quote[/b] ]How nice of you that you want to ban those people from playing on any server just because of your cheater paranoia.

Ban the people?  It's alot more like a feature Operation Flashpoint originally should have came - register a username before you play.  Like Joint Ops or Far Cry..

The XML works this way...

Unless you have no problem with cheaters growing increasingly every month don't post here...  If you can't beat them, they will likely join them, and that's obviously something the thousands of people in Flashpoint Squads around the world DON'T WANT.

If you have a better idea, post it.

If you don't, I guess we all can live with all the cheaters in Flashpoint like it's no big deal.

And if people don't know how to simply register an XML even with instructions on where to put it :  They are either cavemen or are just beyond stupid.  I never heard of anybody who can't follow simple directions.

*Register Your XML*

Exact Username --------------------

User ID ------------------------

Please place the following link in your Squad URL

Blahh Blahh Blahh.XML

Seriously whoever does'nt know how to follow simple basic instructions as simple as this needs to be shoved in a space ship and laucnched into the sun..

Quote[/b] ]Not everyone playing ofp wants to setup some XML somewhere on the web.

umm...the web site hosts the XML for them  rock.gif ?