Sign in to follow this  
OVERWATCHangel

Western mod: cowboys & martials

Hey, you may have already checked out my annoucement of the soon to be released American Civil War MOD. My interest in this area has led me to consider a later time of Cowboys, Martials and those Boys in blue (with yellow Handkerchiefs!) wink_o.gif Are there any others interested in making these Addons? Think of the joy of a western town on a dusty plain complete with horses and gunslingers! Think of the Alamo, lying on the roof of a fort as waves of mexican infantry charge the field! Think a western MOD is all goooood! tounge_o.gif

Ofp.info has this smiss&wesson package I once downloaded. I then thought about having a nice winchester rifle in the hand's of a gunslinger in a western style OFP town!

This would be great.

Yes the horse is very important.If someone modeled and textured a horse,I could make the animations and I even have some brainstorm ideas for it to be rideable and yet still have ai capabilities.

I'd like cowboys and indians,civil war even and such.I wouldn't mind helping some

some one hurry up and make a horse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! get bratty to do something for a change wink_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif .......... blues.gif ...BANG........... ghostface.gif

Im aware that someone in the colonial wars mod was already making the ridable horse addon which is why i believe this to be a serious MOD we can make! Even without the horses though, think of the fun you could have with a western town with mules at the rails and gunslingers hanging around! Could even be a fun multiplayer 'duel' style of game, or with players holing up in buildings and defended themselves against the larger incomming possy! Theres plenty of potential here so get the thinking caps on and pledge your whole hearted efforts to the Western Addon Works! wink_o.gif

Good for ofp2 maybe, but ofp 1 coulndt capture the old west in my opinion.

(though the ofp soldiers do tend to stand rather bow-legged if you know what i mean... why doesnt someone make some anims to replace the stupid looking default ones, :P )

well maybe if the horses are made good enuff...

I've always liked the old west. Hopefully you can make the "hand cannon" (double barrel sawed off shotgun). I hope all the characters that you make for this addon have western hats on. You'll also need to make an island. People won't be using afghanistan island to make a westerner addon.

Somethings struck me about the majority of the ofp community! It mostly consists of lazy hippies who sit in their chairs and whine about what they want to see but make NO EFFORT what-so-ever to learn how to make them so they can contribute something themselves! If theres no competent addon makers interested in this MOD, dont expect to see it anytime in the near...or far future! rock.gif

There's definitely alot you could do in OFP with that genre...well at least if a working horse addon is made.

If you made some calvary troops, with the setface command I could easily make some Buffalo soldiers (African American calvary units).

But a wild west type mod would be very good for OFP.

It would kick ass to have an old Spencer or Henry rifle and an assortment of famous revolver type pistols.

But you'd really need horses. We have the donkey but that's a soldier class.... turning a vehicle class into a horse would represent many more problems. If someone pulls it off they'd be my hero.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Western Cities are perfect for OFP, small and ground level. It just needs say 25 buildings, a new cowbow model, a horse, some calvary troops, and bang!!!!!! I would love this, Outlaw was my favorite game back in the day.

hmm, perhaps there are useful people interested in this mod after all! biggrin_o.gif Yup, i was inspired to see what ppl would think of this MOD after playing the demo of Dead mans hand! It left a tinkering for a western game with more freedom and whats more free than OFP! Well if we can get a group going we could work on and divide what needs to be done! Anyone interested in doing this then post your email here and i'll be in touch! L8rz!

A Western mod for Opf would absolutely rock IMO, I think it would need a new island with a combination of rolling prairies, mountainous deserts, deserted and not so deserted towns. Then of course we could have a multitude of different missions: Indian hunting, Bounty Hunting, being a Sheriff and protecting a town, going out with a Posse, things like that smile_o.gif

A new mod? About a realistic concept that I like? Amazing! biggrin_o.gif

I like the idea of this mod, especially the idea of chasing down thieves on a mustang (While taking potshots at them with my Winchester). The only problem is that we'll have to wait for OFP2 to have good fights in the saloon, but that's OK.

Please no indian hunting missions, thats almost as bad as killing children in OFP. Now being an indian and protecting your tribe from attacking white men, thatd be cool. Nail one in the forehead with your bow, pick up his repeating rifle and shot them off of thier horses. Or have Chases of bandits, each town they put up some resistance or they get the local possie to fight you off (you are feds of course). anyways I would love this I'd help all I could.

Please no indian hunting missions, thats almost as bad as killing children in OFP. Now being an indian and protecting your tribe from attacking white men, thatd be cool. Nail one in the forehead with your bow, pick up his repeating rifle and shot them off of thier horses. Or have Chases of bandits, each town they put up some resistance or they get the local possie to fight you off (you are feds of course). anyways I would love this I'd help all I could.

It should be authentic, thus it includes fighting Indians, and yes the flipside should be available, being an Indian fighting cowboys smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Nail one in the forehead with your bow

First you have to make a bow and make it work in OFP, and that will take some work.

Slow moving Law? In essence?

Haha, no! But there is already a crossbow addon that could be adjusted model wise! It fires visible arrows and so should look pretty convincing! However, a lot of people are still posting with requests instead of offering their services! Remember this MOD cant get off the ground until i establish a team together from the OFP community! So if you or people you know can help give 'em the link for this forum and post your email with clear indication you would work on the team! Thanks! smile_o.gif

so how about this, can you make your own custom tracers? I.E. make a dark tracker that looks like an arrow, will that solve the problrm? Or do as placebo says and make a slow moving law with no smoke, no explosion, and a very small arrow as a rocket? i think an indian carrying 9 arrows will do, just make them strong enough to kill in one shot. who want to throw in a helping hand? I'll retexture some of those Civil War guys when they come out. Al though I'd prefer a new player model that didnt have fat arms.

List of things to do:

1. Player Models (feds, civilians, mexicans, indians)

2. Horses, if some one makes one we I can retexture a buch of them to make at least 12 different horses (all with diff saddles, or no saddles)

3. Building models, fairly simple to make too--

-2 Banks

-2 General Stores

-10 misc buildings

-1 hotel

-2 bars

-10 small cabins (really easy mostly just squares)

-Tee-Pees

4. 3 wagons (one with an old gatling gun in the back), maybe that can be towed like the Pack 36 at ww2ec

5. and of course guns, mostly revolvers. I believe we can get a lever action gun thats allready made, I can fix the textures on it to make it look a wee bit better. A bunch of revolvers allready exist, through out the years they havent changed that much. Sawed off shotgun allready exists. I'm sure we could use some of the guns off of the civil war mod too.

6. New animations for pistols......... Wilco you here wink_o.gif ?

7.finally a new map, I got some good ground textures for it, so why not?

Finally enthusiasm for a plan of action!!! Well things are looking up! I think we'll need to get some good sidearm modders on board for the pistols though! Cuz i want them to look the business and have variety as there were in those times! Not be those modern types already released into the community! As for the horse, as ive said over and over someones already working on that from the Colonial wars mod site so when they release it we'll be able to utilise it with their permission! Also, what we can get started on now is the basics such as the map and the objects! I thought the new ardennes map would be excellent as one of the maps used in the mod, change the ground textures to dusty sand and plains here and there and remove all the buildings of course replacing them with our own places ones and bingo, you've got a low level river as always seen in westerns complete with an excellent landscape! Plains on one side, towns on the other! Is it possible?

i dont know how to use wrp tool or an of those other map creators but I think someone here has got to know how. As I do recall though someone made some old style revolvers, it was so long ago though.

I believe it was Kegetys who made some nice Smith & Wesson revolvers. Perhaps they could be modified into old Colt, Remington, ect... revolvers? Ya best ask Kegetys to see if he'll send you the unbinarized version of that addon. It included a animated rotating cylinder as well which was cool.

At the very least those could be used as templates for a weapons addonmaker to figure out how to make a realistic revolver.

Aside from Revolvers, another MUST HAVE for this mod would have to be the DERINGER pistol. Those are those little tiny pocket pistols common during the "Wild West" era of American history. If I remember correctly, they were double barreled and fairly heavy caliber.

derringer.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Something i want to discuss with the Civil War mod team Checkout here! is the possibility of combining this western mod idea with later stages of the civil war mod so that a greater realism effect could be gained! It would add depth to have cowboy units around the place since they were either unrecruited civilians or recruited spies and mercenaries!