Sign in to follow this  
usmcrp

P3dedit

Not that I want to encourage people of deassembling your game code, but there are countries where it is allowed to reverse engineer code if you can't retrieve information about file formats otherwise (I think Denmark is one of those countries).

It is indeed perfectly legal in European Union, unless done to circumvent copy protection mechanisms, however you are  allowed to do it only for educational purposes or to achieve compatibility.

Content inside P3D files is however protected by copyright, so distributing for example Resistance models in MLOD format would be illegal and it would probably force Codemasters to act legally against distributers in some way. So whoever out there has P3DEdit, don't distribute those MLOD models - you'll only get in trouble (and righly so).

In near future, new EU digital content copyright laws might also consider MLOD->ODOL conversion content protection even though there isn't any explicit encryption, and circumventing that would be copyright infringement.

So whats the legal situation for distributing a tool that allows people to break BIS copyrights? rock.gif I mean, OFPinternals didnt get sued (although they didnt exactly distribute it).

I just hope that you dont go public with your tool feersum sad_o.gif

So whats the legal situation for distributing a tool that allows people to break BIS copyrights?  rock.gif  I mean, OFPinternals didnt get sued (although they didnt exactly distribute it).

I just hope that you dont go public with your tool feersum sad_o.gif

No.

It does not work properly and it would be way too much work to do last 10% properly, time which could be spent on more productive work as well smile_o.gif While releasing such tool probably would be currently legal, using it to rip models is completely different thing. And MLODs from demo already been available for ages and most of modders will gladly share their work with other mod teams if you just ask politely anyway.

If people want to see how some special models work, ODOL Explorer is already available.

Well said! If the interest is learning, ODOL_Explorer shows how to, cause you can see there all the lods and selections.

Where can i get this "ODOL_Explorer" ? i did a search

Wow I am speechless, I gotta go to work but I know what I am doing tonight! Thank you Bis !

Blah...sif go to work! biggrin_o.gif

LOL, not that I haven't seen a few Bis models, I have never seen a Bis plane or motorcycle and those are projects that I have going

so wot ur saying is ITS OK FOR U LOT 2 HAVE IT BUT NOT US LOT rock.gif like i do a lot work on Textures and am just geting 2 grips with 02 i.d like 2 have all the the tools for the game but you cant get them crazy_o.gif why cuz ppl will not put tham up for dl mad_o.gif oo and am not a noob ed i do ask addon makers if it is ok 2 do work on ther stuff like if u dut ask u dut get it wow_o.gif

(Texture Swaper)

feck how many times must it be said the tool is not out because the maker requested it NOT to be out, can u guys respect the wishes of the maker?

Review of the situation:

Hahaha! Reading this topic almost a year later is quite funny!

How much people where arguing about ODOL-MLOD converters biggrin_o.gif

To the people against ODOL-MLOD Converters:

Have you been the victim of model thieves???

I just remember a few cases.. very few. So all the fear and hatred was completly for nothing tounge_o.gif

The tools helped the community and lod of mod makers to get new inspiration and knowledge from other mods. They didn't steal their work. The whole OFP community only survives because the mods and modmakers exchange their knowledge.

Maybe some of the modmakers afraid of OdolExplorer or P3dEdit feared that people would notice that they had stolen their work themselves.. won't give names here wink_o.gif

Again: funny to read that topic now... biggrin_o.gif

To the people against ODOL-MLOD Converters:

Have you been the victim of model thieves???

Yes I have,But it was resolved very quickly,But if them damn convertors did not exist then I would have Odoled my stuff and it would have never happened.

Quote[/b] ]Yes I have,But it was resolved very quickly,But if them damn convertors did not exist then I would have Odoled my stuff and it would have never happened.

Okay NX.. didn't said that their hadn't been any victims biggrin_o.gif however, in the times before binarize this wasn't a huge problem - and after ODOLexplorer, too. Technically ODOL was never meant as an protection - just as an optimization (as the word binarize says..). Lots of models from the HK pack were used by other mods later on - few gave me credits. Compared to todays standart those models weren't the best - but still lots of work. But even when BAS used them without appropriate credits i didn't bitched around (we handled that peacefully wink_o.gif ). Cause the community had the benifit. And let us be honest: did it really hurt anybody?? Besides our egos? NO! Whenever you're creative there will be somebody who will copy your work... that's the curse of creatives all around the world crazy_o.gif