Sign in to follow this  
ralphwiggum

The Iraq thread 3

Astonishing development
Quote[/b] ]U.S. Muslims seek Pentagon probe on Iraq photo

Soldier's sign says he killed boy's father, impregnated sister

Click to englarge

The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) today called for a Pentagon investigation of a photograph circulating on the Internet that apparently shows an American soldier mocking an Iraqi child.

The photo sent to CAIR seems to be of an American soldier standing next to two Iraqi children who are giving the thumbs-up sign. One child holds a hand-lettered sign in English that reads: "Lcpl Boudreaux killed my Dad, th(en) he knocked up my sister!" ("Knocked up" is American slang for making someone pregnant out of wedlock.)

crazy_o.gif

I wont post the pic as it might be considred in-appropriate.Mods?

Anyway this is really sick now , they are humiliating a kid who doesnt even understand english if this is true  mad_o.gif

The pic can be found in military humor thread. Disgusting I say, I wonder why hasnt it been removed from there, genuine or not.  sad_o.gif

EDIT: I checked the thread but found only a red x. Better that way.

i remember that pic, and it was photo shoped. when you look closely around the letters on the sign, you could tell it wasn't legit.

edit:the link ace provided has the picture in question.

I don't belive this crap! Is making fun illegal now? Let's just arrest those people that made fun of the WTC attacks, and the attack on the Taliban, and similar stuff.

Are you absolutely sure is was photoshopped?  Can't something like JPEG compression do the same kind of thing?  To be honest, I don't know if compression could do that, but I figure all possibilites should be considered, especially since it's getting a little media attention.

lol, the clarification for "knocked up" made me chuckle... sorry

there's nothing funny about it. How vulgar and disgusting, if it is not photoshopped. Sick mad_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Are you absolutely sure is was photoshopped? Can't something like JPEG compression do the same kind of thing? To be honest, I don't know if compression could do that, but I figure all possibilites should be considered, especially since it's getting a little media attention.

your right i forgot about that w/ jpegs

Apache shot down (CNN)

Quote[/b] ]BAGHDAD (CNN) -- -- An Apache helicopter was brought down by ground fire west of Baghdad Sunday, a senior military source told CNN.

A rapid reaction force was immediately deployed after the incident, which happened around 11 a.m. (3 a.m. ET). There was no immediate word on casualties.

The AH-64 helicopter was with the 1st Cavalry. Apaches usually carry a two-person crew.

I don't belive this crap! Is making fun illegal now? Let's just arrest those people that made fun of the WTC attacks, and the attack on the Taliban, and similar stuff.

If you think this picture/yoke of a soldier is appropriate then we wont get along here for long!

Yes making fun of people like this is not funny at all only sadistic basta*ds with no respect for people and their poor situation would do such a thing.

Making fun of WTC is retarded too , whats so funny about poeple jumping of a building and dieing ?  rock.gif

Care to explain?

I saw lots of jokes on the Taliban, or Bin Laden. Why isn't anyone bitching about that?

Jokes about wars are the same. Why aren't any complaints about war jokes. I mean lots of people died in wars, right?

I saw lots of jokes on the Taliban, or Bin Laden. Why isn't anyone bitching about that?

Jokes about wars are the same. Why aren't any complaints about war jokes. I mean lots of people died in wars, right?

Did any of your relatives die in Nazi concentration camps?  Mine did.

Have you known anyone who has died from cancer?  I have.

Heard any good concentration camp  or cancer victim jokes lately?  I haven't.

The point is this.  If you were Iraqi then you might realise why the image is not funny.  Fortunately, most of us don't have to be Iraqi to figure that one out.

Rick Mercer: Talking to Americans, a canadian, in the US somewhere, getting americans to say something stupid on camera, all the canadians laugh at the stupid americans and shows very popular.

Lcpl Boudreaux is being as "funny" as a Canadian tv show.   The canadians are to be blamed for this "trend" of exploiting stupid people for comedy that is laughed at by millions of people. unclesam.gif

Did any of your relatives die in Nazi concentration camps?  Mine did.

Have you known anyone who has died from cancer? I have.

Heard any good concentration camp or cancer victim jokes lately? I haven't.

The point is this. If you were Iraqi then you might realise why the image is not funny. Fortunately, most of us don't have to be Iraqi to figure that one out.

As a matter of fact I had more than one relative that died in a concentration camp.

And I haven't heard any jokes about Concentration camps lately, but I heard them. I laughed at them too.

I don't know anyone that died from cancer. But then, I never heard a joke about cancer either.

May seem a little inapropriate, but it's still funny. Maybe because it's innapropriate humour. I always like that.

And it's a good idea as well. Might be some truth in it too.

Ok, then setting aside questions of taste, you have to admit that an image like that spreading through the public media at this time can negatively effect the coalition's efforts in a volatile setting like Iraq.  And that it makes sense for the coalition authorities to deal with it as harmful.

Well i bet the Soldier in question isnt heading for a quick promotion......

Apache shot down (CNN)
Quote[/b] ]BAGHDAD (CNN) -- -- An Apache helicopter was brought down by ground fire west of Baghdad Sunday, a senior military source told CNN.

A rapid reaction force was immediately deployed after the incident, which happened around 11 a.m. (3 a.m. ET). There was no immediate word on casualties.

The AH-64 helicopter was with the 1st Cavalry. Apaches usually carry a two-person crew.

The BBC say that the crew was killed

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3618559.stm

Quote[/b] ]Insurgents also shot down an American AH-64 Apache gunship near Abu Ghraib - a town that has seen heavy fighting in recent days. The two-man crew was killed.

Iraqi troops reject Falluja duty (BBC)

Quote[/b] ]A senior US military officer in Iraq has said that a battalion of the new Iraqi army refused to support US forces in the town of Falluja.

A report in the Washington Post newspaper said the 620-man battalion refused to go to Falluja after being shot at in a Shia area of Baghdad. It was the first time US commanders had sought to involve post-war Iraqi forces in major combat operations.

The troops were quoted as saying they had not signed up to fight Iraqis.

Lieutenant General Ricardo Sanchez, who heads the US-led ground forces, said the incident had uncovered significant challenges within the new force, being trained ahead of the June handover of sovereignty. Analysts say the incident has exposed serious weaknesses, casting further doubt on US plans to transfer security matters to Iraqis.

'Lines blurring'

The Washington Post quoted Major General Paul Eaton, who is overseeing the development of the new army, as saying that the situation was "a command failure". He refused to characterise it as a mutiny.

"The lines are blurring for a lot of Iraqis right now, and we're having problems with a lot of security functions," he said.

The troops were supposed to be given secondary tasks such as manning checkpoints and securing the perimeter, but had apparently not been told this.

"The battalion thought it was going to be thrown into a firestorm in Falluja," he said.

Lieutenant General Sanchez said there had clearly been risks in trying to set up reliable security forces quickly.

"The requirement for us to hand over security to the Iraqi people will depend upon our ability to quickly stand up their security forces...," he said. "And that's going to take us some time."

The battalion, which graduated from training camp on 6 January, is one of four in the new army.

Quote[/b] ]The troops were quoted as saying they had not signed up to fight Iraqis.

Well then! Come June, these troops will be in for a nasty suprise.

Lol, before Saddam was ousted the Iraqi army had no problems killing Iraqis.........

but yeh, this is like Vietnam and the ARVN, too weak to fight without support, so, they will need some sort of support from the US, which will come in the form of troop deployments, which will mean the US is in for the long haul......

Quote[/b] ]The troops were quoted as saying they had not signed up to fight Iraqis.

Well then! Come June, these troops will be in for a nasty suprise.

Perhaps the Iraqi military is seeking to invoke its own version of America's Posse Comitatus Act, which prohibits the use of the Army in civilian law enforcement.

About the photo. If it's photoshopped, big deal.

If it's not. Still big deal. What would make it a big deal would be if what was stated on the board was in actual fact true. PC police take the fun out of everthing.

About the Iraqi army refusing to fight Iraqi's. Very concerning. Imagine if that well armed 620 man strong battalion joined the resistance movement.

Quote[/b] ]About the Iraqi army refusing to fight Iraqi's. Very concerning.

It´s not that they refuse to fight them in any matter but they want to have authorization from their own interim government and not from the US alone. Iraqi interim government has not been taken into consideration when it came to Falluja and other uprisigns. They were not asked wether the bombing of Falluja was ok or not. The US just did it without asking the local policy authorities.

The Iraqi army is not the US army and therefore they want to have approval from their own government. I understand that.