Sign in to follow this  
Koolkid101

Building a computer?

I think I've gathered a list of all you need to build a computer but I don't know of any brands or costs so if you could help me biggrin_o.gif

Parts List

CPU/Processor

PENTIUM 4 CPU PROCESSOR 2.8 GHZ 533MHZ

$53-200

Processor

Motherboard

Memory

Graphics Card

CD/DVD Combo

Case

Moniter

Control Card?

Soundcard

Speaker

Com. Card/USB?

Network Card

Hardrive

120 GB-$87-149

Hardrive Prices

Is this all? Can I make a good system with less than 999 dollars? What would be good enough for OPF2

you should recycle ur monitor, and speakers for the mean time untill u get more money. you should also use the onboard audio so you can budget the rest of your money for a better system and upgrade your audio after. usb, com card, control card, come on the motherboard. make sure you get a GOOD 1 so in the future when you want to upgrade you are not limited by it. get good ram, and your cpu decision is very poor. there is processor at 800 mhz bus and ht. with the cuts I told you, you should be able to afford one of those processors. also if I was you I'd wait. they have been at 3.2 for a while and they r going to introduce new cpu soon, so you could save some money waiting some time.

hope it helps

Wait until March. Intel is coming out with a P4 chip with a new set of instructions in February. When that happens, the 3.2Ghz P4 with 800Mhz FSB prices will fall into your range. Might as well get more bang for your buck by waiting a couple of months.

Wait until March. Intel is coming out with a P4 chip with a new set of instructions in February. When that happens, the 3.2Ghz P4 with 800Mhz FSB prices will fall into your range. Might as well get more bang for your buck by waiting a couple of months.

There is always some new technology on the horizon. If you were to follow this philosophy, you would never upgrade biggrin_o.gif

A good time to upgrade is when your PC can't do the tasks you want it to do in a timely fashion smile_o.gif Hence me getting an Athlon64 3400 in two weeks, and not when socket 939 comes out smile_o.gif

You might also keep an eye on the power supply (often comming with the case). Mine went into a nice blue cloud of smoke two weeks ago, a few month after I upgraded the GFX and some memory ghostface.gif

You might also keep an eye on the power supply (often comming with the case). Mine went into a nice blue cloud of smoke two weeks ago, a few month after I upgraded the GFX and some memory   ghostface.gif

Yes, I hate power supply reliability. When this rig was new my power supply fried and almost took my motherboard and my processor with it. At first they wouldn't replace it but I threatened to call consumer services on them, then I got my power supply replaced and the money back for it.

Do not keep the no-name rubbish, get an Antec 440W, or if you like colours get the Antec True-Blue. Antec are the Rolls Royce of power supplies.

Wait until March.  Intel is coming out with a P4 chip with a new set of instructions in February.  When that happens, the 3.2Ghz P4 with 800Mhz FSB prices will fall into your range.  Might as well get more bang for your buck by waiting a couple of months.

There is always some new technology on the horizon. If you were to follow this philosophy, you would never upgrade biggrin_o.gif

A good time to upgrade is when your PC can't do the tasks you want it to do in a timely fashion smile_o.gif Hence me getting an Athlon64 3400 in two weeks, and not when socket 939 comes out smile_o.gif

So true! Forget the ideology that your motherboard should always support the next 2 generations of CPU-chips. I was waiting now for 2 years to buy a new computer and I was always hesitant, "should I buy should I wait?".

In the end dont forget that we all have a limited amount of money to spend, we cant buy a new computer every year consquently only very few have top notch machines.

And the gaming industry knows that! Games are made to sell to the majority, and the majority has mediocre PCs. Buy cheap buy fast and it will remain mediocre for a few years, more than enough for good gaming.

PIV 2.6 is more than enough

Radeon 9600 is fine as well.

Motherboard is an important choice

Soundcard is getting more and more decisive for game feeling!