Sign in to follow this  
Asmodeus

Black gold sp bas ranger mission

Greetings everyone!

Well, I've been working on this mission forever and have been waiting to release it.  I'm pretty much done with the Lost Lion and plan on posting the final version of that mission soon.   wink_o.gif

So, the next in line in this BAS Ranger/Delta series is Black Gold (yes, texas tea)   tounge_o.gif

BGOver.jpg

Overview:  You are to attack and defend an important oil manufacturing facility.  

We must do it now before they set fire to it all!

Addons Required:

*BAS Delta/Rangers  

http://www.ballistic-studios.com/

*AGS Oil + Industrial Pack V2.1

http://www.ofpnews.info/ofp/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=284

or search

http://www.ofp.info

And, OFP V1.85 or greater should work good. (created mission using 1.94, exported mission today using 1.95)

*Disclaimer*

This is not meant to directly reflect any exact event.  More to present a recognizable situation to further the "immersion" in the mission and create a more interesting atmosphere.

Player's Role:  Squad lead of Ranger assault team. Designation: "Tiger"

Island:  Malden

Benchmark Recommended:  Greater than 1300 should work fine

Includes:

*Overview

*Briefing

*Mission

*Unexpected Events

*Enemies with silenced weapons and special missions against you

*Large enemy force, highly difficult mission for most

Will include later:

*Briefing fixes (I realize there are small things like broken links and missing spaces, will be fixed next version)

*Intro

*Outro

You can find it here:

http://home.earthlink.net/~asmodeus213/Black_GoldV0_98.zip  (107 KB)

I look forward to any feedback you can give me!  Thanks!

Asmo

phew...that IS a tough mission! Still trying to hold off the bad boys but when *beep* and *beep* and *beep* come in I keep running out of firepower!

Very nice mission! I like the waypoint settings and specials for the AI! Can't say more I don't want to spoil the fun biggrin_o.gif

I do experience some lag though which makes me wonder about your performance score suggestion a bit...my PCs score is 6000 (AMD 2400+, 1 Gig PC2700 and Gforce 5900 Ultra, 1600x1200 viewdistance 1000) and still it lags when the action really starts. Probably due to ECP though (which I highly suggest using in this map, including Dynamic Range! It's LOUD!)

Get it people if you like full scale assaults...and fancy a nice spanking!  smile_o.gif

thx Asmodeus!

Edit: How about a coop version? tounge_o.gif

Ranger/deltas are nice... how about some using  Earl&Suchey's marpat marines? All those marines and kickass weapons are dieing for some sp action, kinda feels nobody knows how superior quality the marine pack really is...

edit: Back on topic.

Just gave it a go, i too noticed a bit of lag, i think caused by the lights, big frontal assault, no time for stealth. The 3 ranger teams did pretty much all the assault while i was picking targets throu my binocular, my 2 machine gunners are very acurate even at 400/500m (game bug?) after taking the facility more armor showed up and i could see infantry running around, AT4's are way overpowered considering they are reloadable. Shot twice by sum glitcher a.i. bot hidding in the sandbags, that sucked. And then when everything was running well the unexpected happened biggrin_o.gif , not posting spoilers but it left me laughing, until i realised i had done quite a bit and forgot to save, duh crazy_o.gif .

Personally i would like it more if it were more stealth based operation, sneak in and take out sentries, smaller 3/4 delta team, clear sentries and AA crews so main assault ranger squad can land safely in the facility, blah blah...

Its a nice fun mission, gonna play some more, thanks Asmodeus smile_o.gif .

F*** ME THIS IS TOUGH!

I tried yesterday, thought I'd cleared the area and then BOOM! There where bodies flying everywhere, will I ws on the floor crying like a baby crazy_o.giftounge_o.gif

Tried again today and didnt get very far. I'll beat this damn mission if it kills me... a few more times wink_o.gif

D/lding it now will check back later for debreifing  biggrin_o.gif

Good luck biggrin_o.gif .

Ok, the weather was diferent on my next try (random weather?), more foggy and less rain, and i gave up, thats right, i fought untill my last man dropped and ran away screaming like a little boy/girl wathever.

The location wasnt the best possible has there seems to be many of those gray bushes the A.I. can see thru, so i was shot 30 times by a big ugly bush crazy_o.gif . There were too many enemies in the area and they would shoot me with their PK's from incredible distances, funny how we find all OPF's a.i. great flaws in this mission, like for ex: if we shoot a RPG 50 enemies will shoot you right away and you wont survive 1 second.

SPOILERS

At one given time a truck loaded with explosives will come, i intercepted it far on the road and blew a shit load of armor and infantry simply by firing a rpg at this truck wink_o.gif . While my men and i were fighting of all those infantry groups some sneaky bastards placed satchels all over the place (i think rock.gif ), i tried to disarm those but the option wasnt available in my action menu, so when my last man (a sniper) got blown i radioed for support wich never arrived so i ran full speed away from that living hell and watched the fireworks from the distance, mission failed! Will never touch it again, the Malden government will have to import fuel from Trinity island or some place closer tounge_o.gif .

Thanks everyone! biggrin_o.gif

@ Avon

Thank you, as always! smile_o.gif

@ Shrike

Quote[/b] ]phew...that IS a tough mission! Still trying to hold off the bad boys but when *beep* and *beep* and *beep* come in I keep running out of firepower!

lol, thanks! Thats what the mission is all about! wink_o.gif

I'm glad you like it, this is one of my friends' favorite missions of mine.

That's interesting about the lag, I do think it has to do with ECP and all the fires.. They should die down after awhile and the lag should reduce. I'll double check to make sure I don't have any other fire effects in there because that could be part of it too.

As far as a coop version, it's a definite possibility! I'll let you know if I do that. wink_o.gif

@ Heatseeker

Quote[/b] ]Ranger/deltas are nice... how about some using Earl&Suchey's marpat marines? All those marines and kickass weapons are dieing for some sp action, kinda feels nobody knows how superior quality the marine pack really is...

I do have a mission featuring the great pack they released actually. If there is enough people that want me to add Earl & Suchey's marpat marines to this I will do so, let me know everyone!

Yeah, I'll double check some things to make sure I've reduced the lag as much as possible.

The machine gunners are very accurate, they're a big part of long range attacking in this game. (good or bad, depends on the player)

I'll look at the placement of the AI by the sandbags, I hate getting killed by those bastards too!

Quote[/b] ]Personally i would like it more if it were more stealth based operation, sneak in and take out sentries, smaller 3/4 delta team, clear sentries and AA crews so main assault ranger squad can land safely in the facility, blah blah...

Don't worry, I've made other missions like this. wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Its a nice fun mission, gonna play some more, thanks Asmodeus

No problem! I'm always glad to hear people having fun with my missions! biggrin_o.gif

Also, yes I think there is random weather in this mission... Not too sure to tell you the truth. rock.gif

IMO from what you're mentioning about the AI probs, you should get more & better cover if possible! (I always rush the base and take cover ASAP)

And yep, I tried to get a way to disarm the satchels, but couldn't get it going.. So if they get placed it's pretty much too late unless you kill the squad that has the firing device! (they have to get out of the area before they set off the charges)

@ Munk

LMAO biggrin_o.gif You can do it! If not, I'll call the ambulence for you! tounge_o.gif

@ AceCombat

Thanks, good luck! biggrin_o.gif

@ Everyone

Thanks for the feedback so far! I'll work on the next version as soon as I can.

smile_o.gif

Asmo

ehrm .... 1 RPG round to take out a tank? crazy_o.gif

The rest of the mission is nice smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I do have a mission featuring the great pack they released actually. If there is enough people that want me to add Earl & Suchey's marpat marines to this I will do so, let me know everyone!

Cmon everyone, lets see those hands in the air shall we rock.gif

Quote[/b] ]The machine gunners are very accurate, they're a big part of long range attacking in this game. (good or bad, depends on the player)

Bad part, very bad mad_o.gif , they are suposed to supress and provide cover fire for the assault team, not to snipe at 500m with full auto, maybe reducing their skill levels would make them more realistic, sometimes they are so far i cant even see them.

Quote[/b] ]IMO from what you're mentioning about the AI probs, you should get more & better cover if possible! (I always rush the base and take cover ASAP)

Cover crazy_o.gif , something i cant seem to find in OPF, they find me behind trees, inside houses, bushes, sandbags... best cover seems to be distance wink_o.gif .

Quote[/b] ]And yep, I tried to get a way to disarm the satchels, but couldn't get it going.. So if they get placed it's pretty much too late unless you kill the squad that has the firing device!

I didnt have a chance to prevent the enemy to enter the place cause i was busy fighting the armor and infantry that were atacking from west and south, i did kill the snipers with silenced uzi's but there was no way to prevent the detonation, not enough time to fight and comand those dumbass a.i. bots and support never came, they left me there to die sad_o.gif ...

Great mission (so far) Asmo! It is damn hard though, but it is great fun. It might be a good idea to make the dot markers on the map slightly smaller, they look a bit strange that big.

I will play it through again now.

RED

@ Lt HuNTeR

Quote[/b] ]ehrm .... 1 RPG round to take out a tank?

The rest of the mission is nice

Thanks! Now, you do realize that the mission maker does not define the values of any rockets, right? (and, aren't you talking about AT4's?)

I just work with what I've got! wink_o.gif

@ Heatseeker

Quote[/b] ]Bad part, very bad , they are suposed to supress and provide cover fire for the assault team, not to snipe at 500m with full auto, maybe reducing their skill levels would make them more realistic, sometimes they are so far i cant even see them.

Sure, I'll try reducing their skill levels. I've seen it mentioned a lot of times before though... for the most part this is just a part of the game my friend. crazy_o.gif

LoL, best cover seems to be distance eh? Now you know how real troops feel. wink_o.gif I must be lucky, I'm able to use cover pretty effectively in this game. It could be due to the fact that I like spec ops missions though and have practiced many times sneaking up within 5 M of an enemy without being seen.

Quote[/b] ]I didnt have a chance to prevent the enemy to enter the place cause i was busy fighting the armor and infantry that were atacking from west and south, i did kill the snipers with silenced uzi's but there was no way to prevent the detonation, not enough time to fight and comand those dumbass a.i. bots and support never came, they left me there to die

Ahhh yes, this is my mission design in action! You didn't kill all of the snipers with uzi's in that squad that placed the satchel because if you do, they do not detonate them. (one of their squad must be alive when they reach the trigger for it to detonate)

And that's weird that your support never came, perhaps you didn't give them enough time? As far as the time situation goes, yes I know it is very limitied before the reinforcements arrive... That is why you must storm the plant and take defensive position ASAP! smile_o.gif

@ Red

Thanks a lot! Glad you're having fun so far! biggrin_o.gif

Thanks for the suggestion about the markers, The Real Armstrong said the same thing over at OFPEC. I'll fix that up next version! smile_o.gif

Asmo

Well i trid the mission havent got far yet. tounge_o.gif

The journey from the starting point was fine w went in blew the shit out of some tanks and clobbered some guards , went in guns blazing more geurillas killed , the whole area killed with one casualty to my team.

Then i heard that ominous tank rumble so i made my way trhough the maze of oil pipelines and tanks couldnt hold a steady target against those moving tank/bmp ,anyway decided to stalk'em as i was folowing them suddenly the world behind ym back went ablaze in a fury of white lightening and i an my squad were sent opposite side in the air 10's of feet upwards and then landed dead crazy_o.gif , wtf was that? Is the refinery set to blow itself? Since there was nothing behind me i couldnt figure it out.

Will resume my savegame but ECP doesnt allow me to reload it mad_o.gif damn CTD and a error , so i'll have to start al over

I'll throw in my vote for the marines. Best units IMHO

Well, not my kind of mission, i lose interest when i have to save and retry a couple times, it blows the realistic operation feel of the mission, also i used silenced weapons for all the squad but there wasnt any cover inside the facility, actually there is no solid cover in OPF generally, its a world of paper once the a.i. is aware of your presence wink_o.gif . And there is no way to prevent the charges from detonating, even if we place men all around the place charges still apear out of nowhere, perhaps we should be told to retreat from the facility for helicopter extract while some apaches blow everything up, its not much fun to keep pressing the retry button smile_o.gif .

There were silenced weapons!?!? wow_o.gif

Just a little tip, the best way to survive in the world of OFP during a contact is to keep moving. Run, crouch, fire, repeat wink_o.gif Of course, moving in a straight line at them same speed will get you killed... smile_o.gif

Still not got very far, I keep either get killed by tanks or im stood right next to something highly explosive crazy_o.gif

When I've got time I'll try sending everyone in at the same time and attemp to place my own satchels and mines

@ Acecombat

That sucks about losing your savegame! crazy_o.gif

Thanks for the detail of your experience! The refinery is not set to blow itself. The enemy has the opinion that if they can't have the oil facility, you can't either. blues.gif

Thanks for the feedback! biggrin_o.gif

@ rufusmac

Thanks! I agree, they are very well made addons made by great addon makers. smile_o.gif

@ Heatseeker

Thanks again for the feedback! I was also wondering if I should make it slightly easier... Would this help your interest in the mission? biggrin_o.gif

@ Munk

Yes!

Quote[/b] ]Just a little tip, the best way to survive in the world of OFP during a contact is to keep moving. Run, crouch, fire, repeat Of course, moving in a straight line at them same speed will get you killed...

Wise words! smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Still not got very far, I keep either get killed by tanks or im stood right next to something highly explosive

When I've got time I'll try sending everyone in at the same time and attemp to place my own satchels and mines

Thanks for the effort! I might make it easier as I said above.. Seems to be the general consensus. wink_o.gif Also, the mines and satchels are a good strategy IMO.

Have fun everyone

And I'll make a new version as soon as I have the available time.

Thanks!

Asmo

Quote[/b] ]@ Heatseeker

Thanks again for the feedback! I was also wondering if I should make it slightly easier... Would this help your interest in the mission?

Im ashamed, i really tried to beat this mission... im a tough OPF'er you see and this one gave me nightmares sad_o.gif .

Quote[/b] ]Just a little tip, the best way to survive in the world of OFP during a contact is to keep moving. Run, crouch, fire, repeat Of course, moving in a straight line at them same speed will get you killed...

Wise words!

Nahh, 2 years plus experience tells me the best way is to send the a.i. infantry first and if noone returns head back to base and radio for some armored and air support... or nuke the place and see what's left from the confortable/safe cargo seat of a Mh-60 helicopter smile_o.gif . And that tactic works if you replace crouch with prone and keep considerable distance but in this one we're suposed to use cover wink_o.gif ...

Quote[/b] ]Im ashamed, i really tried to beat this mission... im a tough OPF'er you see and this one gave me nightmares sad_o.gif

wow_o.gif That seems to be the consensus both here and at OFPEC. ghostface.gif I'll make it easier on the next version. wink_o.gif (which should hopefully be soon)

Quote[/b] ]Nahh, 2 years plus experience tells me the best way is to send the a.i. infantry first and if noone returns head back to base and radio for some armored and air support... or nuke the place and see what's left from the confortable/safe cargo seat of a Mh-60 helicopter

lol

Well, everyone has their style. smile_o.gif I think though, that if I add any more AI to the mission it'll be lag city for most people. rock.gif

So, the mission will be made easier everyone!

Thanks for the feedback. smile_o.gif

Asmo

Heh heh... I just jumped in an empty T72 and started running over all of the opfor. crazy_o.gif

LOL Triumph! Yep, everyone has their own style. My friend tried doing the same thing a few times when he was "alpha" testing it over here.. He never got very far though! *evil laugh* wink_o.gif

@ everyone

The new version 1_0 is ready!

Changes/fixes:

*Overview: changed text as macguba suggested

*Briefing: fixed the marker sizes, spacing in the notes, reorganized the pics

*Made the mission easier by reducing the total # of enemies and giving the player more time to prepare a defense

*Added a bit more sidechat

*Added small things to make it more realistic (maybe you can tell me if you notice what) wink_o.gif

*Changed Rangers' route to attack and defend

*Now all of your forces automatically attack

New addon requirement:

BAS MH47E

http://www.ballistic-studios.com/

This will be used in the intro. I've started making it, so this addon is now required for the beta. (intro should be in next version)

You can find the mission here:

http://home.earthlink.net/~asmodeus213/BGV1_0.zip (113 KB)

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone! I hope this version is a good difficulty level for most people.

Asmo

Nice, time to kill some more rebels, im still a bit scared from the last vs. but hopefully i will kill them all this time, the nightmares will stop mad_o.gif .

Good luck!

Thanks for trying the new version! Hopefully it's a good difficultly level for you. wink_o.gif

Asmo

Well... for me its fine really, but not for my a.i. teamates who always end up blown away by the explosions and then im overun by infantry and armor from all sides and everything gets blown away. I placed them in couples protecting the refinery from all angles so they would kill the sneaky guys who suposely "plant" the charges and to keep the enemy away while i dealt with enemy vehicals but there is always one guy who gets close enough for a satchel charge to be placed and boum. Also placing mines is a very bad idea has even if they are far from the oil tanks they will set a very big explosion. I think the big problem here is with the refinery layout and location and also the satchel explosion trigger, it is near to impossible to defend this instalation. Also some of the crates and trucks are very close to buildings and walls/fences causing some clipping probs when we move close to them. Also about cover the trees and bushes surrounding the refinery provide great cover for the assaulting enemy force to shoot at me while i move around sandbags and buildings tounge_o.gif .

lol

Still getting blown up?  hmmmm

Are you getting the truck?

Also, in my experience, the mines never set off the oil stuff...  I just set them out past the wood fences!   biggrin_o.gif  

And it's a good idea to fall back to the big oil production facility after you kill the first wave of tanks and the truck.   wink_o.gif

There have been others that say they love the layout of the refinery...  Are you sure you placed the mines far enough away?  Anyone else have this problem?  

Quote[/b] ]Also some of the crates and trucks are very close to buildings and walls/fences causing some clipping probs when we move close to them.

Thanks, that's a good idea, I'll fix that.   smile_o.gif

Thanks for the feedback!

Maybe my hints will help you?

Asmo

*edit* Spelling! crazy_o.gif