Sign in to follow this  
Acecombat

Uk muslims want full apology from bbc host

http://www.arabnews.com/?page=7&section=0&article=37866&d=11&m=1&y=2004

Quote[/b] ]LONDON, 11 January 2004 — The head of Britain’s Muslim Council yesterday demanded a full apology from a controversial BBC TV talk show host for a column in which he equated Arabs with suicide bombers and repressors of women.

Robert Kilroy-Silk had his popular “Kilroy†show suspended on Friday after writing a commentary in Britain’s Sunday Express paper lambasting Arabs as “suicide bombers, limb amputators, women repressors.â€

His comments, which also said few Arab countries made “much contribution to the welfare of the rest of the world,†provoked a storm of outrage among Muslims in Britain, and forced the BBC to suspend the show.

Kilroy-Silk apologized on Friday for his comments, saying they had been taken out of context.

“I greatly regret the offense which has been caused by the article published in last weekend’s Sunday Express,†he said.

But the apology did not go far enough for Iqbal Sacranie, the head of the British Muslim Council, which groups 350 Muslim associations together.

“I think he has basically regretted some of the statements in the article but he has not made a full apology,†Sacranie told the BBC.

“The article itself I think is of racist nature and it is only appropriate that there should be a full apology so the matter can then rest and hopefully not be repeated again.

The tabloid Sunday Express meanwhile leapt to the TV host’s defens/e, saying the commentary was not of a racist nature.

“The article was not racist. It was legalled by lawyers and there is absolutely no case to answer,†the paper said in a statement quoted yesterday by its daily counterpart Daily Express.

Kilroy-Silk had been withering in his assessment of Arab states. “Indeed, apart from oil — which was discovered, is produced and paid for by the West — what do they (Arab states) contribute?

“Can you think of anything? Anything really useful? Anything really valuable? Something we really need, could not do without?â€

Trevor Phillips, chairman of Britain’s Commission for Racial Equality, labelled the comments by the former member of Parliament for the ruling Labour Party “indisputably stupid.â€

In his apology, Kilroy-Silk said he had originally written the commentary “as a response to the views of opponents to the war in Iraq that Arab States ‘loathe’ the West and my piece referred to ‘Arab States’ rather than ‘Arabs.’

“Out of that context, it has obviously caused great distress and offense and I can only reiterate that I very deeply regret that,†he said

I know morons are present in my country too just like everywhere but this was a bit too much for me too grasp crazy_o.gif

He really is a cocksmith.

Everyone hates the permo-tan twat anyway. Whats laughable is that he ran a show on 'racism in the police' recently.

Ho ho ho.... One dead career. The BBC can't afford prats like him working for them.

Does this guy have a following of some sort in england?

Because i have met people with EXACTLY similiar thoughts on the internet crazy_o.gif , muslims ar women repressors and limb aputators wtf is that suppose to mean?

Ship him to me here i'll show him how i repress idiotic bigots like him , coward hypocrite is now retracting his statements damnit do you have a tongue or a cows ass? Say what you believe in or dont.

I'm from Belgian ,however mostly watch brittish TV as BBC is arguably the best tv company in the world.Especially Britians humor program's like dead ringers nd the Fast show and much more ,program's like Top Gear ,and brittish investigated reporting like on Panorama are in ther kind IMO the best in the world.Heck i even like Bargain hunters.But then BBC has also it's limitations ,for ex. the top 10 of Great Britians had some faces that seriously shouldn't have been there.

Anyway to make a story short i watched Killroy on BBC before and it is one of those few program's on the BBC that is crap.It's not as bad as Jerry Springer but it's close ,nuff said.

He hosts a 'talk show' thats been on for bloody years on BBC 1. I never liked the bastard, but he's well known and has a following. (Mainly from housewives and the unemployed)

The BBC howver gets very upset when people stain its reputation like this. Regradless if its drug use (Couple of people have been fired for cocaine use, and they were very popular), or racism. His days are numbered.

BTW - The Sunday Express is bloody awful. Read the Guardian or the Obserber (Sunday Guardian). Much better.

Kilroy defends Arab states attack

The Kilroy programme will be suspended from Monday

BBC presenter Robert Kilroy-Silk has argued that he has a right to say "there are Arab states that are evil, despotic and treat women abominably".

Quote[/b] ]In interviews with Sunday papers he also said he was "disappointed" the BBC suspended his TV show, after an article he wrote led to accusations of racism.

He had already said he "regretted" the piece, calling Arabs "suicide bombers, limb amputators, women repressors".

But the Muslim Council of Britain has demanded a full apology.

'Positive light'

The former Labour MP told the Sunday Telegraph he had the right to criticise despotic Middle Eastern regimes.

A furore developed following the publication of the article last Sunday, which also said Arabs "murdered more than 3,000 civilians on 11 September" and then "danced in the streets" to celebrate.

I'm disappointed that the BBC didn't feel able to support me

Robert Kilroy-Silk

crazy_o.gif

For more crappy details click here

Ho ho ho.... One dead career.

Hopefully, but i wouldn't be too sure. Apparently he owns the company that makes the Kilroy programme.

I wouldn't be suprised if he resurfaces on Channel 5 or Sky TV in 6 months or so.

Not hard ,have you ever seen a list of all BBC corespondents in the Middle east? There are a lot of muslim's working for the BBC and i don't think they would like the boss share the same oppinions of this coleage.

His remarks are way over the top and makes use generalizations that is bad in the first place.

However ,to have a little debate on it maybe ,for my self in my country Belgium i notice that their tends to be a small percentage of girls having troubles with their parents over the demand that she should marry a man of parents choice.It happens not very much over here ,many of the muslim girls in Belgium marry Belgian men overall ,it's limited to people of certain origin or certain religious view wich is not nessecarily in line with the general muslim religion.

Personally ,i'm not a supporter of fixed marriage's.Now that this happens in certain area's in the Muslim world can be understood as it is part of their culture ,however when fmily's with such traditions move to a very liberal country like Belgium then they must understand that they don't have the basic right in Belgium to make such a demand of their children ,as every Belgian has the fundamental right's to choose his own partner in life and family ties can not surpass these right's.

I don't know what youre views on emancipation are Ace ,though i will always respect everyone's beliefs as that is IMO a basic human right i can immagine that the culture of Saudi Arabia is as such that many people still marry in fixed marriage's?However as far as i know in Saudi Arabia woman can persue a own carreer ,and right's to for ex. break a marriage are in the law and pretty fair.

But then undeniably there are regions in the Muslim world where woman have much fewer right's ,or about none at all.The case of Lamina Lawal (sp) who faced death by stonening in Nigeria (?) because she had betrayed her husband is one case where certain local bbeliefs are to harsh on woman.

In the end however ,there are many more thing's at play than just religious beliefs when Woman in the Muslim world are surpressed.I think it has much to do with class ,local culture ,education ,financial situations ,ties in small village's etc. I think surpressing of woman by Muslims happens mostly in lower classes of the population ,So it depends on the nature of the people and not strictly on Islam as a religion in its basic form.

You know arranged marriages happen all over the place. It's not limited to one culture, race, creed or country. Hare Krishnas for example...all their marriages are arranged.

Quote[/b] ]You know arranged marriages happen all over the place. It's not limited to one culture, race, creed or country. Hare Krishnas for example...all their marriages are arranged.

True ,but there are difference's.In most other cases these arranged marriage's have much less effect on the status and position of man and woman in the society.But their are parts in the Muslim world where men practicly own a woman ,even from a legal point of view.This has much more to do with culture however.If you take the taliban for ex ,there are few culture's or religions or beliefs that have such drastic consequences for the rights of the women.

My point in that was that when people used to such ideas and culture's they shouldn't try to uphold those beliefs when living abroad in a liberal european country and deffinatly not upon their children.

That guy, Killroy was a subject in English classes at my school last year. We had to watch one of his shows and the subject was "Flirting, just harmless fun?". God, I hate him! mad_o.gif

I get BBC world on Satelite down here, and I don't precisely remember the name of the guy whose show on BBC is the one I most dislike, but this is probably the one. If he does get the sack, serves himself right. The instant I saw his program I regarded him as a pig-headed bigot.

Anyone got a direct link to the article in question, I'd like to see the evidence before I pass final judgement.

And BTW Apollo, I find Top Gear to be the best darn motoring show in the world. Period. It's just such a great format. I almost always watch it. It's the only show on TV I make time to watch biggrin_o.gif

Any civilisation which runs under Sharia law needs to take a long hard look at themselves. Religion is based on lies, as soon as people realise that fact the world will be a happier place.

Each culture lives by its laws. These laws only apply on their lands. Others' Laws dont' have to interfere on others laws, neither muslim laws on Occident, nor Occident's Laws on Muslim world, or whatever laws, even Martian or jovian Laws on Venusian culture blues.gif

why should he be reprimanded for saying what must of us brits think

AHA biggrin_o.gif

Another fine specimen , so according to you i am a woman oppressor and limb amputator since your so well linked with this Kilkroy chap how about explaining to me atleast wtf does Limb amputation mean? rock.gif

So badgerboy what about it i thought you said this guys following was only limited too soccermoms and .....

Any civilisation which runs under Sharia law needs to take a long hard look at themselves. Religion is based on lies, as soon as people realise that fact the world will be a happier place.

You seem to well in touch with Sharia laws and regulations how about explaining to me whats in their i need to loo hard it ?

Religion is based on lies eh?

Prove it to me please.

kilroy gives a higher generalitation then i would personnaly give but that is the opinion of alot of british people that some muslims do that but not all

but that is the opinion of alot of british people

Such as Ibrahim Nawar, an Egyptian, who is head of the Arab Press Freedom Watch in London.

Quote[/b] ]Kilroy-Silk is right about the Middle East, say Arabs

By Ibrahim Nawar

(Filed: 11/01/2004)

Ibrahim Nawar, an Egyptian, is the Head of the Board of Management of Arab Press Freedom Watch, a non-profit organisation based in London that works to promote freedom of expression in the Arab world.

"I fully support Robert Kilroy-Silk and salute him as an advocate of freedom of expression. I would like to voice my solidarity with him and with all those who face the censorship of such a basic human right.

"I agree with much of what he says about Arab regimes. There is a very long history of oppression in the Arab world, particularly in the states he mentions: Iran, Iraq, Algeria, Egypt, Libya, Yemen, Saudi Arabia, as well as in Sudan and Tunisia.

"These regimes are not based on democracy and their legitimacy comes from military dicatorships or inherited systems. The basic right of an individual to voice his or her opinion is not granted in any kind of form in the Arab world.

"In Saudi Arabia, for instance, there have been seven Saudi editors sacked from their jobs for criticising the regime since March 2002. In Algeria, we are currently fighting 70 defamation cases against journalists who spoke out against the state.

"I would also agree with Mr Kilroy-Silk's comments on the oppression of women by totalitarian Arab states. Women in Saudi Arabia even have to struggle for the right to walk unaccompanied in the street or to drive a car.

"It is worth remembering, however, that there are individual Arabs who do work hard to defend human rights and one cannot make a blanket generalisation about Arab people. We support Mr Kilroy-Silk's comments specifically in reference to Arab regimes because we are against the oppressive policies supported by rulers in the Arab world.

"I condemn the decision to axe his programme and call for the BBC to reinstate him forthwith. Indeed, the treatment of Mr Kilroy-Silk is very worrying because it indicates that censorship is now taking place in liberal, Western countries like the United Kingdom. These countries should instead be setting an example to the oppressive Arab regimes that violate freedom of expression on a daily basis."

kilroy gives a higher generalitation then i would personnaly give but that is the opinion of alot of british people that some muslims do that but not all

Ignore Nolips. He's our equivalent of a Redneck yokel.

Bloody Sun/Daily Mail readers.

hmm i think i will take that as a compliment but i did not meen to offend

hmm i think i will take that as a compliment

That you're a redneck yokel?

Or that you read the Sun or Daily Mail?

It can't be both because redneck yokels can't read. tounge_o.gif

wink_o.gif

The Sun and not being able to read are not mutually exclusive, the sun has plenty of big pictures for some reason. tounge_o.gif

And while I dont think that Kilroy ought to be silenced, putting down his show is not censorship, throwing his ass in jail or banning him from media would be. (yes, I think even the most racist fuckwits have a right to say what they want but nobody is forced to show it)

Quote[/b] ]"I agree with much of what he says about Arab regimes. There is a very long history of oppression in the Arab world, particularly in the states he mentions: Iran, Iraq, Algeria, Egypt, Libya, Yemen, Saudi Arabia, as well as in Sudan and Tunisia.

Long history my ass , want me to show you the other side of history from Europe and elsewhere ?

We arent the only one who were alive back then you know , i cant believe how people even support this goon how about you show us whatw as happening in Britain back then huh?

Your witchhunts and crap ....

Showing one side of the coin just shows how bigotted a person he really is.

This is what Kilkroy wrote and he then expects not be treated like this what a ^$%&

Quote[/b] ]He referred to how Arabs "murdered more than 3,000 civilians on 11 September" and then "danced in the streets" to celebrate.

Yeah sure i was dancing come close and i'll even print the sole of that shoe on your face. mad_o.gif

From BBC:

Quote[/b] ]"When the West was still considering if a woman was an animal with a soul or a human being in the late 15th Century, the Messenger Muhammad had already given her the right of inheritance and divorce."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3385911.stm

Religion is based on lies eh?

Prove it to me please.

The events detailled in religious books did not happen either at all or the way they say they did. For books that claim to be 100% accurate, that means they are lies.

Simple really.